Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

This incident has put the wind up people in Newcastle, Australia

Been there, believe me it would be no great loss.

I was there on business and got into the hotel quite late. The next morning I opened the curtains to be met with a great big steel wall slowing passing my hotel room and another bulk carrier departed the port. Shortly before the Pasha Bulka had made an unscheduled stop at the local beach.

Am I the only one thinking 'sod 'em'? They've known about the risks for 6 years and chose to either ignore them or accept a brown envelope to look the other way. This purge to arrest anyone with the word Manager in their title is merely a distraction. Inshallah...

I must admit the thought hadn't occurred to me, however, for several years during the Syrian civil war we treated Syrians in our hospitals, as well as at a field hospital specially set up for the purpose near the Syrian border.

To Syria's public and sincere thanks, no doubt.

No, I didn't think so.

There are more 'before and after' pictures out there, but here's one:

beirut-explosion-1.jpg

More here:

Last edited:
1100fps = a fraction under 5sec to the mile (5280 feet).

LSS also varies with temperature, but that's a pretty good estimation. 1150.57 f/s at 30 deg C, so 4.6 seconds per mile and about 2.5/km.

To Syria's public and sincere thanks, no doubt.

No, I didn't think so.

I'm not a fan of the flag signaling trend but this is really unusual, for two countries that are officially still at war - an expression of empathy last night led to an unusual sight - Tel Aviv city hall illuminated with the Lebanese flag
Untitled-8.jpg

Last edited:
If it detonates it will cause millions of pounds worth of improvements on Sheppey.
Nah there’ll just be a hole in the water big enough for Boris Island. I used to be the officer South side wharves and we used to speculate what would happen to Cory’s aggregates. . But I have heard a version that after all this time the effect of water intrusion might make it a bit less Anticlimactic

Am I the only one thinking 'sod 'em'? They've known about the risks for 6 years and chose to either ignore them or accept a brown envelope to look the other way. This purge to arrest anyone with the word Manager in their title is merely a distraction. Inshallah...
I definitely don’t think ‘sod em’, particularly the many dead and injured who were probably just going about their daily business in total ignorance of the deadly presence in their midst. By all means condemn the privileged, corrupt individuals in positions of power and influence, many there only because of who they know, but not the rest of the population.
I’ve been watching the BBC documentary Once Upon a Time in Iraq, which features many talking head type interviews with ordinary Iraqis, caught up in the horrors of war following the 2003 invasion and toppling of Saddam. To a man and woman, they come across as decent, articulate, intelligent and normal human beings, trying to make sense of the hand they have been dealt, because of their religion/tribe/caste.
Very similar to the current horror in Lebanon I reckon.
By all means condemn the leaders, but not the people.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I definitely don’t think ‘sod em’, particularly the many dead and injured who were probably just going about their daily business in total ignorance of the deadly presence in their midst. By all means condemn the privileged, corrupt individuals in positions of power and influence, many there only because of who they know, but not the rest of the population.
I’ve been watching the BBC documentary Once Upon a Time in Iraq, which features many talking head type interviews with ordinary Iraqis, caught up in the horrors of war following the 2003 invasion and toppling of Saddam. To a man and woman, they come across as decent, articulate, intelligent and normal human beings, trying to make sense of the hand they have been dealt, because of their religion/tribe/caste.
I felt that about Tyrone and Fermanagh in 1976.

Well said, as regards both Lebanon and Iraq – I had the same thoughts on watching those recent episodes.

(I particularly feel for those that now get that hag Alex Crawford shoving a microphone under their nose and saying “do you talk English?”)

merchantman

War Hero
There are more 'before and after' pictures out there, but here's one:

View attachment 494900

More here:

Some reports on the ships which can be seen berthed close to the explosion:

According to reports, general cargo with container capacity Raouf-H. (4362 gt, built 1985) was damaged in the heavy explosion in the port of Beirut, on Aug 4. It was berthed at the jetty between dock 2 and 3 where the warehouse had been standing in which the explosion occurred. Elevators and crane booms crashed into the cargo holds of Raouf-H., which seemed to have remained afloat. -- Correspondent.

-- Passenger (cruise) Orient Queen was hit by a rocketed metal piece from an explosion inside Beirut port where 2700 metric tonnes and other IMDG cargo were stored in a closed port shed, at 1815 hrs, and consequently was taking water quickly, listed on its starboard side and completely sank, on Aug 4. Orient Queen was berthed alongside berth No 11 and reportedly three crew members were reported dead. No cargo nor passengers were on board the vessel. As the vessel could not be inspected, the extend of damages is not known. The port was closed and is not accessible to surveyor pending completion of official investigations.

Chemical tanker Amadeo II (563 gt, built 1976), which was laid up near the warehouse at the port of Beirut, Lebanon, where a massive explosion took place on Aug 4, was critically damaged. It was lifted ashore and was almost ripped apart by the explosion. -- Correspondent.

General cargo with container capacity Mero Star (3780 gt, built 1983) while unloading 5,000 tonnes of Ukrainian wheat in Beirut, Lebanon was damaged by a powerful blast which ripped through the port, on Aug 4. Mero Star was berthed at the jetty between dock 2 and 3 where the warehouse had been standing in which the explosion occurred. Elevators and crane booms crashed into the cargo holds of Mero Star, which remained afloat. According to the shipping company’s operations director, the cargo was “in good condition”. He also added that, two Syrian crew members aboard vessel were seriously injured in the blast and others were wounded.

A lot of the comments are saying its a plot as they're all muslim countries and 'someone' is out to get them. Maybe that someone is allah ;-)

Surely that's just proof they're racist as only Black Lives Matter

What he said.

Troy

LE
So to sum this all up... The Lebanese stole a ship load of AN probably with the intent to use it one day against their "opposition". But due to all manner of incompetence they had an ND.
No need for conspiracy tales there.

Latest Threads