Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

It could have been worse, it Looks like the reinforced silos absorbed and diverted a lot of the blast .
The fact that the silos were full probably helped.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
At least 10 firemen missing, probably vapourised looking at the size on the explosion. RIP

It could have been worse...

Fortunately only two lives lost aboard apparently. Built in 1989, 121m length.

'The Orient Queen cruise ship owned by Lebanon’s Abou Merhi Group has sunk in Beirut's port after the explosion that shocked the city yesterday. As OTV reported Wednesday, two people who were onboard when the incident happened died, while seven more were injured.

'According to the cruise ship owner, the vessel was docked in Beirut's port. The blast seriously damaged the Orient Queen, allowing water to seep in. Attempts to quickly fix and save the ship failed and she sank in the port.'

Oyibo

LE
I'm pretty sure we used to deliver product there and there was talk of building a LNG plant.
Now that would have provided fireworks for all.

My visit was before the offshore O&G took off in Ghana - it was for a very well known service company that was looking for alternatives to Nigerian ports (for Nigerian projects).

Ghana is Rolls Royce compared to the Trabant that is Nigeria. Or at least it used to be.

Do you remember the Ikeja ammo dump explosion - looked like an atomic bomb had ND'd? Curiously though, more deaths from drowning than other causes when they ran away and jumped into a canal:

1596633146169.png

Oyibo

LE
We have a few structures like that on the low road to Bo'ness from Grangemouth.
My late F-in-L told me if they went up....the concussions would take out homes for a 4/5 mile radius.
No idea what is contained within but he did as he worked the marshalling yards in the middle of them.

I think that in the case of the Permex plant it ignited rather than exploded - if the fuel-air mixture had been right there could have been a huge blast. Same with many gas plants.

I must say though, I'd trust the safety standards in Blighty more than Mexico

My visit was before the offshore O&G took off in Ghana - it was for a very well known service company that was looking for alternatives to Nigerian ports (for Nigerian projects).

Ghana is Rolls Royce compared to the Trabant that is Nigeria. Or at least it used to be.

Do you remember the Ikeja ammo dump explosion - looked like an atomic bomb had ND'd? Curiously though, more deaths from drowning than other causes when they ran away and jumped into a canal:

View attachment 494746
Happened before my time in the Armpit but I do recall it being talked about.
Just read the Wiki page for it, "As people fled the flames, many stumbled into a concealed canal and drowned." this bit was sobering: " Those on the bottom were crushed by yet more people falling into the waterway, and in the struggling confusion, at least 600 people were killed, many of them children."

Apologies for the drift.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
I expect the BBC will call it as a result of a white, male, tory(scum), brexit supporting, right wing, climate change denier and if there was a woman running the port it would never have happened.

Indirectly there was...

Interior minister is a feminist who prioritised spending on domestic abuse etc.... Presumably at the expense of 3D jobs like port workers.

I wonder how it compares to the Halifax explosion of 1917, which was the largest man made explosion ever up to that point? Halifax was equivalent to 2.9 kilotons of TNT, where Wikipedia is currently giving a range of 0.1 to 3.0 kilotons.

I suspect that there will be a lot of eye injuries due to flying glass, but perversely I think that due to COVID casualties may not be as high as they could have been. It's the holiday season and under normal circumstances there would probably have been at least one full cruise ship sat in the harbour.

Dr Death

War Hero
It was caused by an IRA Apprentice who got the wires wrong.
Seems hooking the battery up to test it was the wrong thing to do and it went booooooom.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Heaven forbid they fertilise the land and work....

A bit facetious I know but with 80%+ imports to zero exports (im hearing on the news), are they just living on foreign aid?

Lebanon is a bit like a narco state with Hezbollah being the beneficiary.

Constitution , the confessional system, was changed in the 80s to give them a role in Government, apparently as a sop to get Western hostages released.

So they now funnel money to South America, buy drugs to sell, and launder the money back.

Entire economy is bankrupt and they are begging for IMF loans, though the gumps are unlikely to prop up Hezbollah.

Seems they wanted a Western style banking system, though most of their largest banks are involved in this narco trade according to a civil case in New York.

Long read, but a good one from Jim Rickards ( and yes he does oddly mention gold!)

TLDR: They were fucked long before their only grain port evaporated.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Some poor bastard is going to be made the scapegoat for all this...
I'd pick the warehouse Manager who probably got vapourised in the blast.

A chap from Cheshire East Roads Dept has been despatched to help with the repairs. He’ll stamp in a couple of shovel fulls of left over tarmac and retire to his van to smoke rollies and scarf a few Chatwin’s pies.

You'll never even know anything happened once he’s done.
Surrey Roads Department beat him to it. Parked the van, shovelled some gravel out the back and drove off.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Pleased to see that Google are on the ball.
Port temporarily closed apparently.

View attachment 494675

That shows the now-wrecked grain silos just inshore of a typical dockside warehouse for cargo supposedly in transit......is this the building which housed the 2,750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate?

I wonder who owned the commodity.... and whether Lloyds will take a hit as part of this.

Claims-adjusters flying in as we speak doubtless.

Londo

LE
Dail Mail has a good few pictures of the damage .
Reading one of their stories and in the readers comments were two from the same cretin ..... " Do the same to Tel Aviv "
I'm thinking the author of both those may possibly have been Jeremy Corbyn .

Latest Threads