Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

It didn’t take long:

Equally, it may in a very back-handed way set a reset button to get some broad ranging rebuilding & infrastructure going...over a good number of years.
Or, it may see Beirut (more so) resembling Allepo The Sequel for decades.
Not a lot of suitable acres to dump hundreds of thousands of toxic rubble eg post Twin Towers.
In the cold light of a new dawn...it's bloody grim really.

Ive given a dumb for that as it seems on face value a bit sick, pretty much every city in the world advances without a catastrophic explosion and loss of life? What next, Hiroshima was OK because it meant the Japanese could build a modern city?

Maybe want to explain and I will happily remove but I dont see the benefit of how many dead we are going to see vs. a bit of civil engineering.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Those things (grain elevators/silos) have a habit of exploding on their own undercertain conditions ie if there is sufficient dust in the air and spark is applied...

Lucky the blast didn't set that one off at the same time.

Dust explosions

Grain elevator explosions in USA
I remember being told decades ago that an empty grain carrier was a bigger explosion risk from the dust than an empty supertanker from the fumes (itself far more deadly than a supertanker full of crude).

@ThunderBox.
What is "Dumb" about straight-forward if hypothetical points of view?
Do one you retarded spawn of convict.
Thank you.

I said in my post without trying to be bitey, it is how it came across and happy to remove it.

I personally found it, as i read it, in very bad taste. If it wasnt meant that way, as i said i dont think it was meant that way, perhaps clear it up for us slower than you.

So thats why we searched all those farms in 1974, looking for empty fertilizer bags.

I remember being told decades ago that an empty grain carrier was a bigger explosion risk from the dust than an empty supertanker from the fumes (itself far more deadly than a supertanker full of crude).

Explosion risk comes in some unexpected forms.

Initial questioning not arrival at an EOD incident would include “are there any high particulate matter industries nearby, such as custard powder factories or flour mills?”.

Pity we cant get Queen Lizzie down there in days, it's probably the best justification to the snowflakes what a carrier can offer as part of its remit.

Although couldnt we do something from Akroti?

I said in my post without trying to be bitey, it is how it came across and happy to remove it.

I personally found it, as i read it, in very bad taste. If it wasnt meant that way, as i said i dont think it was meant that way, perhaps clear it up for us slower than you.
For me, all black humours through this post including mine asides, all that I was trying to project was the seemingly impossible questions of site clearances and rebuild tasks that lie ahead if, even if, it can be done given the land locked nature of the area not to forget the toxic & sometimes deadly geo-politics.
Perhaps my phrasing was not quite what I meant...fair one. Let's move on eh? More to vex us these days, I'm sure we can agree. Thats the big issue with online commentary....it can't compare with a pub debate over a beer.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pity we cant get Queen Lizzie down there in days, it's probably the best justification to the snowflakes what a carrier can offer as part of its remit.

Although couldnt we do something from Akroti?
I remember George Dubya getting roasted when there was something catastrophic in the Middle East. Red Cross offered this, OxFam offered that. Everybody offered something.

Dubya offered a visit from a nuclear carrier. Everybody asked wtf until it was explained that almost unlimited pure drinking water was a by-product of reactor cooling, it had a hospital as big as a small town and a crew of similar size, but all fit, strong and capable. Helicopters for MedEvac, etc, etc.

For me, all black humours through this post including mine asides, all that I was trying to project was the seemingly impossible questions of site clearances and rebuild tasks that lie ahead if, even if, it can be done given the land locked nature of the area not to forget the toxic & sometimes deadly geo-politics.
Perhaps my phrasing was not quite what I meant...fair one. Let's move on eh? More to vex us these days, I'm sure we can agree. Thats the big issue with online commentary....it can't compare with a pub debate over a beer.

I removed it, the post was up 17 pages so I didnt read them all, I absolutely dont mind black humour as I am a sick cnut, I didnt know how this post was going, its why I posted an explanation too, I wasnt trying to cause an issue.

At least an on line argument doesn't get us covid or glassed!!!!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Have the BBC asked Boris if he regrets not intervening earlier & telling them to make the warehouse safe? And is he going to resign?
Hold on a few minutes, BrotherGracuMonkey will be along to make the case.

Dubya offered a visit from a nuclear carrier. Everybody asked wtf until it was explained that almost unlimited pure drinking water was a by-product of reactor cooling, it had a hospital as big as a small town and a crew of similar size, but all fit, strong and capable. Helicopters for MedEvac, etc, etc.

And a good supply of electric power, I would think.

Troy

LE
Some poor bastard is going to be made the scapegoat for all this...

RBMK

War Hero
News says 2,750 of Ammonium Nitrate.
Explosion efficiency of AN =40% of TNT, which would be 1,100 tonnes of TNT [equivalent]
ANFO (6% Diesel fuel) has an efficiency of 74% TNT
The risk of AN explosion is also worse if contaminated by a list of organic materials, alkalis etc.

Looking at the explosion and devastation, potentially equivalent to 800-1,000 tonnes of TNT.

Would like to get the various damage radii so that I could reverse calculate. Someone smarter than me will doubtless have access to info like the distance at which windows were broken etc which can be used to work out the explosion strength.

Latest Threads