Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Funbaby

Old-Salt
The ammonium nitrate probably absorbed a fair bit of water over the years it sat in that humid warehouse; would have solidified and become denser, which would have upped its propensity to go bang .

Last edited:
I thought that Ammonium Nitrate tended to absorb moisture, therefore ANFO based IEDs could not be placed long before the intended detonation time, however the Nitrate had been there for years. Presumably the warehouse was dry enough to stop water ingress?

Poor bastards. RIP.

If it has destroyed the port, what are the long term consequences?

That is quite a crater

Wouldn’t it be good if the Israelis offered help and the Lebanese accepted? Hey ho, wishful thinking.

Well the Israelis have offered humanitarian and medical aid but the Lebanese government is not noted for concern about the welfare of its citizens so I wouldn't wait on it accepting.

This video captures a better view of the aftermath from a local high rise. ..and not a single pane of glass was seen. Normaly these types of vids have a soundtrack of the person filming the event just muttering "Allahu akbar" but the devestation is so great and shock has got to the cameraman and he's forgotten that this bang happened because God wills it ..
On the plus side, it's a good time to be in construction in Beirut....

That is quite a crater

A chap from Cheshire East Roads Dept has been despatched to help with the repairs. He’ll stamp in a couple of shovel fulls of left over tarmac and retire to his van to smoke rollies and scarf a few Chatwin’s pies.

You'll never even know anything happened once he’s done.

Well the Israelis have offered humanitarian and medical aid but the Lebanese government is not noted for concern about the welfare of its citizens so I wouldn't wait on it accepting.

The Lebanese Prime Minister stated on TV that those responsible will pay for this. At least that was the German translation. So is this the usual political hot air?
What wasn't mentioned on TV was the Israeli offer of help, and judging by the scenes of death and destruction the Lebanese need it desperately. Still we all know that nothing good comes out of Israel, the Israelis are the bully boys on the block.

The Lebanese Prime Minister stated on TV that those responsible will pay for this. At least that was the German translation. So is this the usual political hot air?
What wasn't mentioned on TV was the Israeli offer of help, and judging by the scenes of death and destruction the Lebanese need it desperately. Still we all know that nothing good comes out of Israel, the Israelis are the bully boys on the block.

What I read on twitter is that he said those responsible for allowing the dangerous materials to be left at the port for years will pay. Interesting that the TV presentation gave it a different meaning.

As I stated yesterday in post #210 on this thread,
"I'm pleased to hear the Israeli government has offered humanitarian/medical aid (communicated to the Lebanese via UNIFIL). It makes sense because they're literally up the road from here and the only other neighbor Syria is in too f*cked a state itself. Whether the corrupt and dysfunctional Lebanese government accepts is another matter - it tends to be never about the average Joes."

Here's a dumb question for the experts. If the grain silos were full of flour grain? Could that of contributed to the explosion.

I'm sure powdered flour has a high flash rate when suspended in the air. Not sure if it will do the same when in grain form though.

Beirut Governor on regional TV just now.... half the city destroyed, significant damage in a 10km radius - the countries main port destroyed, along with the grain elevator that feeds much of Lebanon - An impressive days work by the Prince!

philc

LE
On the plus side, it's a good time to be in construction in Beirut....

The last 30 odd years have been a good time for construction in Beirut, I was their mid 90s, I had never seen so many buildings shot to death and the roads were chaos.

theinventor

Old-Salt
It seems a bit odd for him to point the finger so soon, before an investigation has even taken place.

He also goes on to say

So did he already know this, and if so surely the buck stops with him?

(Update) But yes, 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate is pretty damn insane... The question I'd REALLY like answered is why it was stored basically "in the city".

I highly doubt a fire works factory (and it did seem to be ) ever had that amount of raw explosive material; it's good to question stuff... but perhaps things are deeper and more.... timely, than we consider.
Yep, if it's been languishing in the port for years because of govt departments not agreeing whose job it is.. There must be someone who's responsible for making decisions between depts, maybe someone like the Prime Minister?

The ammonium nitrate probably absorbed a fair bit of water over the years it sat in that humid warehouse; would have solidified and become denser, which would have upped its propensity to go bang .

The humidity there on the coastline in summer is indeed intense.

Last edited:
A chap from Cheshire East Roads Dept has been despatched to help with the repairs. He’ll stamp in a couple of shovel fulls of left over tarmac and retire to his van to smoke rollies and scarf a few Chatwin’s pies.

You'll never even know anything happened once he’s done.

Sounds like Edinburgh Council's road maintenance department, but with a stronger work ethic. :)

Latest Threads