Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Although @dingerrs' expertise might just tip the balance, I'm now old enough to know better...
( After seeing that bang d'yreckon I should move the oxy bottles away from the straw/ fert building?)
Only one way to find out.

Apparently the nitrate has been sitting there for seven years

Its always best to put all the most unstable and leaky drums of chemicals, surplus fertiliser and fireworks all in one warehouse just in case.
Especially if you can get the drums stored half full and near an exhaust for a large building's generators.

Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion

Heat up a tank of LPG until the tank lets go. The LPG will boil as the pressure is released and expand rapidly. It will then usually ignite causing a fireball.

You get: tank fragments, pressure wave and fireball.

Again doesn't look the same.

wheel

LE

Prime Minister Hassan Diab called it a catastrophe and said those responsible must be held to account.
He spoke of a "dangerous warehouse" which had been there since 2014, but said he would not pre-empt the investigation

I take it he will be looking all over Beirut for those responsible

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Well to be fair it worked....

Even a hundred scousers couldn't nick it now.

UncivilServant

Old-Salt
Ah yes, but as above, likely to be turned down, so see what you can do, offer x hundred litres of whole blood, in refrigerated trucks, at this crossing point at this time, protection is Beirut responsibility. Do it publicly. When refused, shrug and say "well we offered." If accepted send volunteers, and if security appears at risk turn around and state publicly why. Take some reporters to live transmit it.
Nice idea, but seriously doubt it would be accepted. I saw an article about the explosion on an Arab news site, not long after the news broke. In the comments section, the moon howlers were already suggesting that 'someone' outside of Lebanon was responsible and that as the explosion had a cloud, it was definitely a nuclear bomb. People were agreeing with the comments.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab called it a catastrophe and said those responsible must be held to account.
He spoke of a "dangerous warehouse" which had been there since 2014, but said he would not pre-empt the investigation

I take it he will be looking all over Beirut for those responsible

And a mile out to sea.

That tweet reads like the script for the opening scene of Casualty or London’s Burning.
"What's over there?"

"Oh, 3 cases of old dynamite weeping nitro, a pile of detonators, some hammers and a trampoline. School holidays start next week."

"Righto, perfectly safe. Carry on."

Latest Threads