Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

[COLOR=rgba(20, 23, 26, 1)]Jordan Seismological Observatory reports a 4.5M seismic measurement from the Beirut blast. That’s mind-boggling for a conventional, surface-level explosion. twitter.com/AJABreaking/st…[/COLOR]

We don't need no experts.

Someone that normally posts cute cat photos on twitter said it was a thermobaric Obama.

So it wuz the RUSSIANS!
Did anyone see a large aircraft crash into it just before the big bang?

Sodium nitrate by all accounts.
I haven't a fvcking clue what the difference is.
Ammonium nitrate is more explosive although neither are particularly worrying. You could happily jump up and down on both while on fire and nothing much would happen.

Both will go bang if you put a lot of effort in but ammonium nitrate will explode more easily and with more energy.

Edit - a sobering thought, if this was due to sodium nitrate then the equivalent mass of ammonium nitrate would have produced well over double the bang experienced here.

Last edited:

Blogg

LE
Sodium nitrate by all accounts.
I haven't a fvcking clue what the difference is.

Ammonium Nitrate has a significant track record:

but both will go bang when hot enough

In remarks published on the Presidency Twitter account, Lebanese President Michel Aoun has said that it is "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were stored in a warehouse for six years without safety measures and vowed that those responsible would face the "harshest punishments".

...So it wuz the RUSSIANS!

Nah!

MOSSAD, on hearing that a shipment of fireworks was heading to the port, arranged to have it docked close to the warehouse full of seized nitrate (after learning that the chemical was to be appropriated for use in HAMAS devices). Two operatives were sent to set-off the fireworks as a distraction, before doing an exfil ‘toot sweet’. Once they were beyond Minimum Safe Distance, a cruise missile (previously doing circuits over the Eastern Med) was tasked inbound, to detonate the cache.

Probably.

Oops

War Hero
Ammonium nitrate is more explosive although neither are particularly worrying. You could happily jump up and down on both while on fire and nothing much would happen.

Both will go bang if you put a lot of effort in but ammonium nitrate will explode more easily and with more energy.
I can speak from a totally NON terrorism POV that it takes more than an O level (B) in Chemistry, and a readily available supply of AN fertilizer, Diesel and shotgun cartridges to make owt other than lots of smelly smoke (even that takes a bit of doing).
Although @dingerrs' expertise might just tip the balance, I'm now old enough to know better...
( After seeing that bang d'yreckon I should move the oxy bottles away from the straw/ fert building?)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ammonium Nitrate has a significant track record:

but both will go bang when hot enough

In remarks published on the Presidency Twitter account, Lebanese President Michel Aoun has said that it is "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were stored in a warehouse for six years without safety measures and vowed that those responsible would face the "harshest punishments".

My turn :) .... #246

Latest Threads