Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Unless I'm mistaken, it was the white "vapour" that detonated in the big explosion so not water. I'm still sticking with a liquefied gas. Maybe not in a tanker, maybe rocket propellant stored in bulk. Difficult when people start storing munitions in food warehouses.
I don't think so, the vapour cloud only seems to form after the large explosion.

The conservative whips, have thanked The arsonist- Foreign power-clumsy maintenance man- Discarded cigarette-electrician-plumber in Beirut, for taking the heat off the Ex cabinet minister MP who is currant being investigated for multiple allegations of rape.

The conservative whips, have thanked The arsonist- Foreign power-clumsy maintenance man- Discarded cigarette-electrician-plumber in Beirut, for taking the heat off the Ex cabinet minister MP who is currant being investigated for multiple allegations of rape.
You seem to have lost your way....and your marbles.

RBMK

War Hero
The vapour cloud forms as a result of the pressure wave which squeezes the moisture out of the air. The more humidity, the more obvious the cloud.

@dingerr is correct, it's not fireworks.

It's not really possible to tell what the cause is without knowing what was stored. A BLEVE would normally have fragments followed by a large fireball.

It's also not a dust explosion. You have to disperse the dust then ignite it. Plus also a deflagration [subsonic], and this was definitely a detonation [supersonic]

My suspicion would be a quantity of explosives stored in the area. However, this is just speculation.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
My suspicion would be a quantity of explosives stored in the area. However, this is just speculation.
Wow... Thank you for the analysis.

Blogg

LE
Abdul has a smoke next to a shit ton of fireworks. Whoops

Said fireworks now heavily ablaze. In a shed next to one containing various bulk "chemicals" impounded from a ship some months ago and reported to have been stored "poorly" (Would you expect anything else?)

What are these "chemicals"? Well according to the various reports flying around claiming to be quoting an official source, Sodium Nitrate.

My book of things likely to cause gloom has it thus:

Fire Fighting Measures
Fire:
Not combustible, but substance is a strong oxidizer and its heat of reaction with reducing agents or combustibles may cause ignition.
Explosion:
Explosive with shock, heat or friction. Sodium Nitrate decomposes explosively when heated >538C. Sensitive to mechanical impact.
Handling and Storage

Keep in a tightly closed container, stored in a cool, dry, ventilated area. Protect against physical damage and moisture. Isolate from any source of heat or ignition. Avoid storage on wood floors. Separate from incompatibles, combustibles, organic or other readily oxidizable materials.
Ah right. So a load of NaNO3 in close proximity to a high intesity fire compete with large numbers of pyrotechnics cooking off with a danger of the whole lot going at once.

And when it does go produces Nitrogen Dioxide. Which is a reddish brown gas and would explain the evil red cloud.

Nah, obviously they turned on 5G. There's yer problem innit

Last edited:
The vapour cloud forms as a result of the pressure wave which squeezes the moisture out of the air. The more humidity, the more obvious the cloud.

It's not really possible to tell what the cause is without knowing what was stored. A BLEVE would normally have fragments followed by a large fireball.

It's also not a dust explosion. You have to disperse the dust then ignite it. Plus also a deflagration [subsonic], and this was definitely a detonation [supersonic]

Are you saying that fireworks weren't involved in the initial blaze??

Same as the vortexes from F1 rear wings and jet wings then..especially over the sound barrier?

Abdul has a smoke next to a shit ton of fireworks. Whoops

Said fireworks now heavily ablaze. In a shed next to one containing various bulk "chemicals" impounded from a ship some months ago and reported to have been stored "poorly" (Would you expect anything else?)

What are these "chemicals"? Well according to the various reports flying around claiming to be quoting an official source, Sodium Nitrate.

My book of things likely to cause gloom has it thus:

Fire Fighting Measures

Handling and Storage

Ah right. So a load of NaNO3 in close proximity to a high intesity fire compete with large numberssof pyrotechnics cooking off with a danger of the whole lot going at once.

Nah, obviously they turned on 5G. There's yer problem innit
No, no and No.
It's the Jooos wot did it.

I'm pleased to hear the Israeli government has offered humanitarian/medical aid (communicated to the Lebanese via UNIFIL). It makes sense because they're literally up the road from here and the only other neighbor Syria is in too f*cked a state itself. Whether the corrupt and dysfunctional Lebanese government accepts is another matter - it tends to be never about the average Joes.

Last edited:

RBMK

War Hero
Are you saying that fireworks weren't involved in the initial blaze??
No. Just that they weren't the big bang.

And yes to @Ecosse as you compress air it holds less moisture. The shockwave travels at the speed of sound and squeezes the air hard enough to give a vapour cloud which then disappears quickly after the shockwave has passed and pressure returns to normal.

If you watch some of the videos of the Gulf wars you can see an expanding ring of vapour when the bomb goes off.

Capture.PNG

Balconies are involved.

Capture.PNG      uuuuuu.PNG

Say no more.

Nope, no fireworks here, eh.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Unless I'm mistaken, it was the white "vapour" that detonated in the big explosion so not water. I'm still sticking with a liquefied gas. Maybe not in a tanker, maybe rocket propellant stored in bulk. Difficult when people start storing munitions in food warehouses.
Myself, I think it is water droplets being thrown up but I could be completely wrong and time will tell. There's speculation at this early stage on all types of things - including the possibility of a dust explosion - although the news coming out suggests that Beirut Port is not particularly fastidious about storage. We will see...

RBMK

War Hero
Sodium Nitrate is an oxidant as is Ammonium Nitrate.
They will make a fuel mixture go bang better, but in both cases it depends on the form of the nitrate, and the're difficult to mix properly.

ANFO is used as a mining explosive because it burns relatively slowly which is what you want for mining applications.

Bottom right hand corner of the video shows a hint of purple smoke next to a smoldering cigar butt.

RBMK

War Hero
Myself, I think it is water droplets being thrown up but I could be completely wrong and time will tell. There's speculation at this early stage on all types of things - including the possibility of a dust explosion - although the news coming out suggests that Beirut Port is not particularly fastidious about storage. We will see...
It's not a dust explosion.
You have to disperse the dust first otherwise it doesn't burn.
I've done 27 years work on dust explosion hazards.