Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Whenever I see something like this it always make me think of a very beautiful word.

Bugger Brisance

The vapour seems to be a function of the "blast" wave. Look at these.

EDIT

The volcano at the bottom of first link seems to be most broadly similar in speed of expansion if not scale.
Not sure on that one. The video you posted does show a blast wave - it spreads extremely rapidly in all directions at a uniform rate and proceeds in front of the flames. That explosion didn't happen in / next to a large body of water.

If you go back to the first video and do some quick pausing about a second in you will see a blast wave progress across the sea to the left, the water vapour proceeds much more slowly (relatively speaking) and outwards slower than the flames.

The water vapour is also not uniform, there are two 'bands'. I would have thought a blast wave would lead to an even 'shell' around the centre of the explosion.

beirut.jpg

I fully accept I could be talking out of my arse. The speed of sound in water being much larger than in air could account for the blast wave out to the left for one thing.

Edit - for comparison, from the video you linked to:
blast wave.jpg

Edit again - it probably is the result of the blast wave and not water being pushed out by the explosion, the video watched a few times is much more dome like than a still image suggests.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
CNN now speculating that it was Trump's own personal stash of fake tan that exploded. He's basically guilty of mass murder apparently.

I've never dealt with a BLEVE, not sure any in UK have tbh, but from lectures and videos there seems to be basically a BFO fireball when the cylinder/tank/vessel finally fails. That being said who knows here, as seems to be near water. Make you right on the firework theory though as you said, many small pops beforehand.

(I did assume Israeli Airforce smacked some hezbollah factory but appears not to be)

Was Flixborough a BLEVE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on that one. The video you posted does show a blast wave - it spreads extremely rapidly in all directions at a uniform rate and proceeds in front of the flames. That explosion didn't happen in / next to a large body of water.

If you go back to the first video and do some quick pausing about a second in you will see a blast wave progress across the sea to the left, the water vapour proceeds much more slowly (relatively speaking) and outwards slower than the flames.

The water vapour is also not uniform, there are two 'bands'. I would have thought a blast wave would lead to an even 'shell' around the centre of the explosion.

View attachment 494576

I fully accept I could be talking out of my arse. The speed of sound in water being much larger than in air could account for the blast wave out to the left for one thing.

Edit - for comparison, from the video you linked to:
View attachment 494579
Unless I'm mistaken, it was the white "vapour" that detonated in the big explosion so not water. I'm still sticking with a liquefied gas. Maybe not in a tanker, maybe rocket propellant stored in bulk. Difficult when people start storing munitions in food warehouses.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Black Lives Matter have released a statement thanking the Lebanese from taking the focus off the George Floyd bodycam footage.

Tool

LE
Latest update: at least 27 dead, at least 2,500 injured. "Some reports suggest the explosion may have been an accident" accrding to aunty Beeb.

Latest Threads