Being the gray man.

Now I have been told by many ex force's and people in the force's, that once I am in basic try be the grey man, but at the same time show your smart, but dont make yourself sound like a smart arrse..

So is their any tips like little bits of clever things that can make you stand out..

my dad told me one for when setting up a harbour...get a small twig and where there is a bivvy behind it rap the twig in the thread/rope so when you run your hand along you know where there is a bivvy/tent....

This is the sort of thing i mean, just things that you can say or do to show you are thinking logicaly, but at the same time not the smart arrse who everyone hated in school who always had his hand up and brown on his nose...
Im sure this thread could be useful to everyone starting basic if the older/wiser contribute useful tips

Heres one mate.On your BFT run(or whatever name it goes by now)come in with seconds to spare,putting a massive effort in over the last 100mtrs.Puffing and panting,veins sticking out on your neck etc,also an affected limp helps.
All in one youv'e shown spirit,determination,triumph over adversity.
Just dont get caught having a fag round the corner

Volunteer for everything and always be sure to report other recruits for all wrong doing no matter how trivial. This will make you a favourite with the training staff and you are sure to pass out as a Corporal.

yes johnboy your dad has taught you the most obvious thing in the world which would of been told to you after two mins. please don't be the grey man! i hate that saying! i want blokes who speak up when asked, shut up when being told something, man up when standing up for something, put up with all the shite we all have to and get on with it and only stand out for being knowledgable and professional. But most of you if you can hold your own infront of a group of people then you'll be fine! Be funny but not offensive!

and for god sake don't take many people's advise because you are you! Don't let the army change that! and it's called a harbour area, can't remember the last time we had to set up an area for cruise liners docking for the night!

k13eod said:
Volunteer for everything and always be sure to report other recruits for all wrong doing no matter how trivial. This will make you a favourite with the training staff and you are sure to pass out as a Corporal.
And earn you the biggest shoeing of your life! 'K' don't be mean! 8O

ugly

LE
johnboy1990 said:
Now I have been told by many ex force's and people in the force's, that once I am in basic try be the grey man, but at the same time show your smart, but dont make yourself sound like a smart arrse..

So is their any tips like little bits of clever things that can make you stand out..

my dad told me one for when setting up a harbour...get a small twig and where there is a bivvy behind it rap the twig in the thread/rope so when you run your hand along you know where there is a bivvy/tent....

This is the sort of thing i mean, just things that you can say or do to show you are thinking logicaly, but at the same time not the smart arrse who everyone hated in school who always had his hand up and brown on his nose...
Im sure this thread could be useful to everyone starting basic if the older/wiser contribute useful tips
Who said that?

ugly said:
johnboy1990 said:

Who said that?
who said what bit?

johnboy1990 said:
Im not going to stoop to that level, im just trying to try learn simple things that will stand me in good stead for being a better soldier.

Watch Red Dwarf and model yourself on Rimmer.

Starching underpants never goes un noticed either.

johnboy1990 said:
Im not going to stoop to that level, im just trying to try learn simple things that will stand me in good stead for being a better soldier.
Lesson 1 ask a stupid question get a stupid answer

johnboy1990 said:
Lesson 1 ask a stupid question get a stupid answer

ugly

LE
No stupid questions only stupid people being asked. Do as dad says and keep your head down. There is so much to learn dont waste time asking on this forum unless its specific and target it at current trainees/instructors who will possibly be too busy to answer. Now be the grey man!

Spending that extra 5 minutes on your locker or ironing or boots etc etc will help you to stand out when every other cnut has shyt boots and shit locker lay out....you dont come across as a brown nosing tw@t this way you just come across as switched on!....

in my opinion anyway

K

Put a couple of small coins in the mag of your SLR...it makes drill sound scrumptious.

Well you did ask for tips from the older Arrser...

good personal admin....when your in the field, keep stuff packed away if your not using it....nothing pisses me off more than bad personal admin....i am sure some of the older arrses will agree!

cheggarsRE said:
yes johnboy your dad has taught you the most obvious thing in the world which would of been told to you after two mins. please don't be the grey man! i hate that saying! i want blokes who speak up when asked, shut up when being told something, man up when standing up for something, put up with all the shite we all have to and get on with it and only stand out for being knowledgable and professional. But most of you if you can hold your own infront of a group of people then you'll be fine! Be funny but not offensive!

and for god sake don't take many people's advise because you are you! Don't let the army change that! and it's called a harbour area, can't remember the last time we had to set up an area for cruise liners docking for the night!
Roger all that. Johnny-me-boy, you've come to the wrong site if you expect us to give you tips that will help you put one over the other recruits (because that's how it sounds to me). What will really impress will be all-out effort, lack of whinging, application of common sense and, perhaps most of all, team spirit. Help the others in the squad, accept help from them when necessary and try to forget you're an individual till you complete training. I suppose that is being the grey man, but in the best possible way. Finally, never, ever try to bluff the instructors - they'll have heard it all before, and you'll be a marked man. If you can manage all that, you'll like the Army and it'll like you. Good luck.

Being a grey man can be taken in different ways. I for one think it means 'don't gob off'. Mouth shut, eyes and ears open.

Being the grey man could also be interpreted that you should make sure your personal admin is no better or worse than your peers. THAT's where standards begin to all, and you begin to get noticed for the wrong reasons. The only thing more noticeable than someone with poor skills, is someone who is potentially very good but chooses to be lazy.

If you can keep quiet (unless told otherwise), do as your told (extremely quickly without a hint of dissent) and take personal pride in yourself and your kit, you should do fine.

Two ears, one mouth, use them in proportion is one I like.

There are no magic tricks Johnboy1990, you either comes across as a keen recruit who wants to crack on, pull his weight and learn what he/she's taught, or you don't, and it's not rocket science how to pull that off.

Latest Threads