Being thanked for your service...a rarity?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by purpose, Oct 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,
    50 year old civvy here. Never served, unless you count 3 years as a Royal Engineer cadet (battledress and 303s), no I didn't think so.

On to my question....
    Whenever I'm out and about, usually in a pub somewhere and I find out that someone I'm talking to is serving, or has served... I stand (if sitting) and thank them for their service.
    Invariably I'm greeted with a look of surprise, shock even at my actions.

Why does it appear to be a rarity?

Before you ask.. I'm 5 foot nothing and couldn't pull the c*ck off a chocolate mouse.

An old git.
  2. I think it's because most force's personel dont see what they do as being in anyway exceptional.just doing the job they are payed for.(VC winners are a good example)

It is always welcome to see such appreciation though,so good effort on your part.
  3. They may think you are extracting the urine.Or that you are trying to chat them up.
  4. Humble most have been, that's for sure.

5. I certainly want to chat. It usally ends up costing me a fortune to get the stories.
  6. Mostly, going up to our people in uniform and saying "well done mate, proud of you" has caused surprise, sometimes fear, sometimes a sense of "what the feck is he on?" . One time, a local bootie replied" Yes I am serving", hanging his head, maybe expecting a rant. I don't know.

Recruiting teams on the streets are a good opportunity to say hello. People walking through towns in uniform are another opportunity. We don't have to scare them and we don't have to look like a lunatic.

Mostly though; our people in uniform are grateful for that friendly encouragement, and the more we do it, the more they'll feel appreciated and the more thanks and recognition they'll all get. So crack on.... :eek: :eek: :eek:
  7. I remember the days you didn't mention what you did in case you were compromised,not that anyone guessed ,by the haircut dessies and jeans etc.

They should be thanked for what they have done,keeping Britain Great.God Bless em all.

Edited for biff spelling
  8. Then thing are as they should be. :D

And well done you.
  9. Very good for you. If only the other 59 million civilians were like you, this country would be a better place... :salut:
  10. Send them an anonymous wet and feck off home happy in the knowledge that they prefer stella to civvies asking them if they've killed anyone
  11. Purpose.

You are an absolute gent (or lady), and you deserve fulsome thanks in return.

If you see me it'll be the current racked real ale or imported German / Czech lager.

Good Health!
  12. I spent a couple of weeks in the States this summer, on duty and in uniform and I have to say that apart from most of them not even knowing what nationality you were, despite the Union Flag on your shoulder ("No, I'm not Australian!"), I was constantly being stopped by people in the street and thanked for helping their forces. I was pleasantly surprised.

Add to that the friendly attitude, being asked to jump the queue at airports on them seeing your bergen/day sack and the free facilities provided by the USOs, including food, drink, TV, internet access and even phone cards to phone home, I have to say that it is the complete opposite to the attitude you get in the UK. Sad, maybe worrying, but I'm afraid it is a fact.
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

At 5 foot feckall up seems to be the operative word. Did they realise you were standing? :twisted:

Squaddie or not, most people find being thanked for doing their job slightly embarrasing. (Unless of course you are Flashy where most of that praise is self praise)

Edit - not you vvaannmmaann
  14. Quite.
  15. What... short, fat and ugly?