Being sacked - Heroism, ignominy, deserved, and undeserved

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Big time companies!
A dog food company held their convention in Florida, they came from all over the States. The director owner was on the stage giving his all: "Who has the best dog food in America?" WE DO! shouted the congregation. "Who sells the most in the USA? WE DO! echoed through the rafters! There was silence for a moment, then the Director asked quietly "Then why don't we sell more of it?" more silence, then a voice from the back shouted "Because the dogs don't fuuking like it! I don't know if he was sacked!

Apocryphal story:- Madison avenue were tasked with trying to sell to the american public Toyota cars, this was back in the late fifties, the heads of departments sitting around the board table could not come up with a slogan, or catch phrase that sounded right or catchy enough, then in the silence a voice was heard, " From the folks that brought you pearl harbour..............." his feet never touched!

IIRC working alongside a well-trained Saffie armourer with scads of experience and know-how, the experience was tinged with a little bitterness at times as he recalled when in 5 Bde in Western Desert was damn near annihilated by DAK and speed was essential and lugging a great bag of Armourer's tools was not an option -- he demo'd quite often how a hammer/screwdriver combo could fix/repair a wide range of Small Arms.
If you look at the Russian armourers manuals for small arms, they start with selecting a suitable tree stump.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

The Big time companies!
A dog food company held their convention in Florida, they came from all over the States. The director owner was on the stage giving his all: "Who has the best dog food in America?" WE DO! shouted the congregation. "Who sells the most in the USA? WE DO! echoed through the rafters! There was silence for a moment, then the Director asked quietly "Then why don't we sell more of it?" more silence, then a voice from the back shouted "Because the dogs don't fuuking like it! I don't know if he was sacked!
The Emperor's New Clothes moment for one CEO it seems. :-D

ACAB

LE
If you look at the Russian armourers manuals for small arms, they start with selecting a suitable tree stump.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
It's the same for Soviet era cleaning materials. All of them are rebodged former dishcloths etc.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's the same for Soviet era cleaning materials. All of them are rebodged former dishcloths etc.
I once saw a Russian changing the oil in his truck. He first ran the old oil out into the ground. We mentioned that it was bad to do that, he said nothing but an English speaking Russian officer said: " It comes from the ground and goes back to the ground"

Similar one with an airline for whom we were contracting.

Rostered for a flight the next day, everything normal. Rolled in a couple of hours before to get the pre flight stuff out of the way and the office was locked. Went down to the check in desk and that was also shut. Called the girl running the office and she told us they'd closed down.

Everyone but the crew actually doing the flight that day had been told this. Not a lot of logic in the way these things are done at times.
Taxiing out one morning, told by ATC to hold position which we duly did. Fire engine pulls up in front of us, instructed to shut down, steps appear and a bloke is sticking a writ on the aircraft before we’d even got off.

No sign of management, nothing.

Photocopiers fetch a reasonable price second hand.

I've only been sacked once. A couple of years or so ago I landed a fill-in job with an aviation ground support outfit at a major airport. Their reputation was already iffy but my brief tenure confirmed what a sack of shit outfit they were. The worker ants were ok, but the management were bonk.

I got called into the office after a couple of months and was told by one if the grown ups that 'they'd been hearing a lot about me... and none of it good'. My reply was pretty much verbatim. I then pointed out (calmly and politely) what an absolute shower they were and how it was a miracle they still had the contract. All manner of false accusations were levelled - probably due to one of his minions who I'd been warned about. My ID went across the desk with a contemptuous flourish and it was ENDEX.

A few weeks later they lost the gig, by which time I'd landed a nice little earner with one of the other operators. How I laughed (inwardly) when aforementioned minion pinged me doing my thing on a 737 bound for Palma. Fat twat!
Circusair?

Just the once, gross misconduct, and contrary to the first question asked by many, no I did not hing wan on the managers chin! I'd scratched the side of a newly painted car, which had come in for repair. Boss not happy, Fairy Nuff. He tells me I'd have to pay for it, again no complaint from me, but he'll charge me a minimal amount. Piss taking from the boys, to be expected and I'm happy with that too. That is until I get billed. Next bit of piss taking and I'm not such a happy bunny. Instead of laughing it off, I say I ain't laughing after what I paid. On revealing it was {?£170.00)well over a weeks wages, they think I'm joking. I can show you the receipt I reply. One of the painters then said if they'd known that, they'd have done it in their own time only costing me for the paint, about £50. I go looking for the manager, your office now. I repeat what the painter had said, and ask is he willing to give me any refund, as what he'd told me was nothing like as how cheap it could've been sorted for. No way, was how he started, then went on to say that should I make another mistake like that, he would charge me £500.00!!! WTF! In that case I says, I can no longer afford to drive your truck, and I didn't. I'll do any other duties, but not with the truck. Knew what was happening, didn't budge and was sacked. At the grand old age of 59.

Took them to a tribunal, lost but didn't care. I had three of the management in dock being defended by their London lawyer. At one point whilst I was being questioned, I started on the lawyer and turned the question back to them. I heard the MD was shaking with rage, good. The irony is they offered me 30 pieces of silver,£500.00, a few minutes before it started. Long before it came anywhere going to court, I informed their side all I wanted was an apology. They must have thought I had the same mindset as them, and would have used this against them. I had something they could never attain, integrity.

A twist in the tale. I was only unemployed for a few weeks, and landed on my feet. On the home straight to retirement, Mon to Fri, 0800 to 1700 no overtime, brilliant. This job involved going to different offices one of which was, no Brownie points for guessing, the people who'd just sacked me! The icing on the cake. I saw some bods with whom I'd only had dealings with on an irregular basis. They were eyeing me up, and I looked straight ahead as I passed them. "It can't be." I heard as I went by. "A but it fur king is." I thought to myself as I ignored them. A few days later my new boss, who was a good all round guy, came up to me laughing. He'd just had a 'phone call from the MD asking if it could be arranged that I did not call at their office! I must have really pissed him off big time that he was still hurting months later, the arrsehole. I chuckled every time I went there.

Edited for mong spelling.

Last edited:

Wetneck

Old-Salt
When I was a very young lad straight out of school I got some sort of modern apprenticeship at the HQ of a utility company, very heavily regulated, and it was still quite unionised. Lazy Monday Mornings and most people were unable to get anything done after 1330 because lunch was a heavily subsidised 3 courses and everyone ate heartily and with enthusiasm from 1200 for an hour and a half.

Kept them going till the tea and coffee lady came round at 1430 with cream cakes at least.

In such a lazy environment a young enthusiastic chap like me found the 3-year apprenticeship coursework knocked out in 6 months and a promotion to full staff member, a year later another promotion to senior and there I was at 17 and a half in the late 90s earning more than most people on the floor who'd worked at it for 45 years. Very quickly I became resented for not fitting in with their comfy ways - and also because I was shagging all the young totty that came in to work in the admin Dept.

After the director I reported to got offered a CEO position at a neighbouring county's utility the person pushed up to replace him decided It was time to get rid of the now 19-year-old who was earning too much and enjoying the lavish life while making them all look slovenly.

They devised a plan to offer me a "promotion" to a new Dept just thought up to do some PR, I'd be heading it up and got a company car, huge expenses account and got to go out about rather than office bound when I wanted. If It went well they said I'd be given the Dept permanently and the pay that went with it which was a huge amount back then.

They sent me all the paperwork on what they wanted to be done and asked for my comments, It was then I knew it was a test. All the work to be done by the department was directly against regulatory guidelines, it'd be huge fines for the company, and they knew it. So I sent it all back amended with my refusal to work within those rules, but I'd be happy to do it a different way, still get the job done and stay legal.

A few weeks went by and all was going well. Then I got called into a meeting with the director and various HR bods saying that they had sent my proposals to the regulator to be audited, and it had come back with a regulatory fine. Turns out someone had deliberately sent the original proposals but with my name at the top and signature at the bottom.

No choice but to let me go for gross misconduct, despite the fact I had the original copies and my revisions to show them with a full paper trail they said the regulator wanted blood, and I was it, I remember the director who plotted it all smiling as I was led out the building. I got let go with a small golden handshake, but the whole thing was a set-up.

Jokes on them though, about 16 years later after me having travelled the world and done lots more impressive stuff since I get brought on at senior level with a small organisation struggling with a failing board.
Who was sat at the head of the board but the director who plotted the whole thing all those years ago. Within 6 months I get to give him his marching orders and take over his seat.

Latest Threads