Being sacked - Heroism, ignominy, deserved, and undeserved

Oyibo

LE
Anyone worth their salt has been fired from their job at some stage or another (I am worth my salt a few times over). Being sacked can take many forms - sometimes one is the hero (without a job), other times the rest of the workforce may be celebrating one's departure.

Herewith a thread about notable sackings.

As a starter, I worked for an oil company in the 2010s when the price of oil crashed. A brash young COO was brought in from a much larger company to turn things around (make huge cutbacks). In one meeting with the Engineering Department he announced what cuts he would make to operations.

EM appears in the background.

A brasher and younger French engineer told the new COO, "I cannot stay here if you make these cuts".

To the sound of sharp intakes of breath the COO replied "I accept your resignation."

The usual "I didn't mean it" conversation ensued, but the Frenchman was out of the office the same day.

Kirkz

LE
Anyone worth their salt has been fired from their job at some stage or another (I am worth my salt a few times over). Being sacked can take many forms - sometimes one is the hero (without a job), other times the rest of the workforce may be celebrating one's departure.

Herewith a thread about notable sackings.

As a starter, I worked for an oil company in the 2010s when the price of oil crashed. A brash young COO was brought in from a much larger company to turn things around (make huge cutbacks). In one meeting with the Engineering Department he announced what cuts he would make to operations.

EM appears in the background.

A brasher and younger French engineer told the new COO, "I cannot stay here if you make these cuts".

To the sound of sharp intakes of breath the COO replied "I accept your resignation."

The usual "I didn't mean it" conversation ensued, but the Frenchman was out of the office the same day.
Well he was fFrench so...

David Cameron - Sacked himself

Teresa May - sacked by her party

Jeremy Corbyn - sacked by the electorate

John Bercow - sacked by common sense and public decency.

At the tender age of 16 I apparently pulled the dead flowers off the wrong plants in an elderly (three times widowed) German lady's garden. I was sure it was the ones she showed me. She went into a rant about how 'Eet eez no goot, you do not haf zee green fingers, und zat zee frost vill kill zee plants now'.
All I could say in response was 'What frost? It's June.'

She appeared 5 minutes later with a £10 note, an out of date pack of 3 mars bars, and a half used book of first class stamps as my severance pay. Funny ole world...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
My first job after leaving the Army, salesman in a top-end HiFi place, lasted 3 days, apparently asking somebody if they want to buy the ******* thing or not? Isn't quite what they had in mind as a sales technique.

With only 4 jobs from age 15 to 54, I have never been sacked, came close in job no:1 , apprentice- go karting whilst working late with a load of subcontractors , me and two other young lads hit a high racking unit holding thousands of pounds worth of generators. The lot went over and smashed on the deck.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Been sacked twice and in both cases management were spot on! :)

The Mrs being in the fickle banking and finance industry has received her P45 a few times. It is SOP when a new top dog is employed that they tend to bring all their parasitic mates in. Therefore as soon as a new top dog is announced people dust off their CV's and call the headhunters to tell them they are back on the market.

She has had a couple of times where due to her seniority the information she has is considered a tad "Commercially Sensitive" so they put her on garden leave for 12 months. They effectively let her keep all the BUPA, company car, and other benefits, plus pay her for the 12 months and give her a "please don't sue us payment".

I know one bank that lost hundreds of millions when they bought in someone from outside the finance sector. Their last job had been very senior in the washing up liquid and washing powder industry. The individual bought all their mates in from the washing up liquid industry and they had no clue about how banks worked, or the legislative requirements. The top one was binned within 2 years, as were all the hangers on, they ultimately ended up at another bank where the top dog cocked up again, was investigated more or less criminally, and barred from working in banking and finance again.

I’ve sacked quite a few blokes since becoming a manager after leaving the Mob. In my last position as a regional manager, my 3rd job, I had a file of over 100 disciplinary’s. Responsible for over 300 staff, it always surprised me how stupid people are when it comes to their job. I sacked people for taking a sick day then posting on FB what a good time they were having at football/theme park/zoo/water park, claiming for hours of work whilst sat in a tracked van for 5 hours in a lay-by, fighting, using a work van to take rubbish to the dump and on and on.
I can only think people would rather claim benefits and loose their house, car, wife, kids etc.

I’ve sacked quite a few blokes since becoming a manager after leaving the Mob. In my last position as a regional manager, my 3rd job, I had a file of over 100 disciplinary’s. Responsible for over 300 staff, it always surprised me how stupid people are when it comes to their job. I sacked people for taking a sick day then posting on FB what a good time they were having at football/theme park/zoo/water park, claiming for hours of work whilst sat in a tracked van for 5 hours in a lay-by, fighting, using a work van to take rubbish to the dump and on and on.
I can only think people would rather claim benefits and loose their house, car, wife, kids etc.

Given the amount of disciplinary issues that you were having, that doesn't necessarily reflect well on the management culture.

B42T

LE

you big bully :-D

At the tender age of 16 I apparently pulled the dead flowers off the wrong plants in an elderly (three times widowed) German lady's garden. I was sure it was the ones she showed me. She went into a rant about how 'Eet eez no goot, you do not haf zee green fingers, und zat zee frost vill kill zee plants now'.
All I could say in response was 'What frost? It's June.'

She appeared 5 minutes later with a £10 note, an out of date pack of 3 mars bars, and a half used book of first class stamps as my severance pay. Funny ole world...
So your defence of 'only following orders' fell on deaf ears? Shame really, as it worked for her ol' feller.

JAD

LE
Whilst working at a college about 10 years ago as an Inernal Verifier and Assessor, I was unexpectly called out of the open plan office by my female (as they always are in learning establishments) line manager and to a private interview room. In there was a more senior bod, I was invited to sit down and was I promptly presented with their evidence of my crime.
My crime was getting caught, I had submitted a section of a body of work that I had copied and pasted off the web into my mandatory CPD folder without reference and referring to the author of the document. As my role at the college was quality assurance and marking other students work before sending off to awarding bodies for certification, I was swiftly advised that my position was untenable.
I had the opportunity to counsel and argue my case at a later date (never likely to win) or leave with immediate effect. As I had handed my notice in the week before, I was working my months notice anyway. They agreed to honour my wage until the end of my contract and write me a "positive" reference should I require; as up until that point, all my other crimes had been undetected due to my squaddie cunning and "having impressed and fitted in well with the team"; or so it had said just a few weeks before at my appraisal.
I had fallen foul to a fairly new IT tool that detects plagiarism that the college had been covertly trialling. My crime, being naive, so I fall squarely in the guilty as charged pile.
I was given up to 30 minutes to clear my desk and instructed not to engage with any of my work colleagues. That bit was easy btw; I then left the college via the tradesmens' with my sandwiches wrapped in a road map. Best 3 weeks wages I earned after that, as I swiftly waltzed into a similar role (better wage & Ts and Cs) with a private training provider working on behalf of a better class of college that didn't find me out, or turned a blind eye. I was earning them loads of cash knocking out NVQ's at L3 at a couple of grand a pop profit via an EU grant thingy. I was like a GPMG firing them folders through.
Sadly, the gig was up about a year later, not through sacking, but due to funding cuts at L3. So, I tied my spotted hanky to a bamboo cane and turned again, heading for the smoke and an obscene amount of bounce, for a short while anyway.

I've never been sacked per se. Been laid off three times though. First one, the MD (ex-LE offr) found out the hard way that if you let your right hand man run the contract that gives you 90% of your income, and then don't treat him right, the wheels can come off spectacularly. Like when the right hand man sets up his own gig and takes the contract with him.

Second one, the MD decided we needed to relocate in the US and asked me to front the new office for a year. I said I would, if I could then work remotely. Yep, all good. Comes to the end of that year and he reneges and I get laid off. Chairman took a dim view, and laid off the MD :)

Last one, my boss simply decided he could do both his job and mine. Therefore mine was eliminated. As @History_Man says, I took some blood money and signed an exit agreement. I really wish I hadn't, because I have lots to say, but I needed the money at the time.

I hate changing jobs, particularly when it's enforced.

The Mrs being in the fickle banking and finance industry has received her P45 a few times. It is SOP when a new top dog is employed that they tend to get rid of the deadwood bring all their parasitic mates in. Therefore as soon as a new top dog is announced people dust off their CV's and call the headhunters to tell them they are back on the market.

Amended for clarity

Latest Threads