Being judgemental - Is it something wrong?

I remember when I started my first proper job as part of a graduate scheme about 10 years ago, I met my contemporary for the first time and he was from Essex. He had a Thames Estuary accent and rocked up wearing Adidas trackies and a baseball cap. Everything about him screamed 'chav' and my idea of 'chav' was ignorance, laziness and a cocky attitude.

He turned out to be one of the hardest working, mild mannered and intelligent men I've ever worked with.

I remember when I started my first proper job as part of a graduate scheme about 10 years ago, I met my contemporary for the first time and he was from Essex. He had a Thames Estuary accent and rocked up wearing Adidas trackies and a baseball cap. Everything about him screamed 'chav' and my idea of 'chav' was ignorance, laziness and a cocky attitude.

He turned out to be one of the hardest working, mild mannered and intelligent men I've ever worked with.
Is that an endorsement of Chav Man or a damning indictment of the company you kept and standards thereof?

Remind me again which regiment you served with? :-D

Is that an endorsement of Chav Man or a damning indictment of the company you kept and standards thereof?

Remind me again which regiment you served with? :-D
Good to see you again Corgs, I hope you are well, things are pretty good for me (recently got hitched). You know I've changed my tune a bit regarding our old debate, I'm inclined to think mankind needs myth and allegory to live a content life as there's not much to offer in nihilism.

Chav man was a fine fellow but the cronies I call friends are far worse. ;)

There's a good reason for my lack of standards and poor company too. I was never in a regiment, I was one of those nautical types.

Good to see you again Corgs, I hope you are well,
Cheers. Getting better. I've had some inflammatory nervey thingy going on for several years that has rather cramped my style, but it seems to be improving.

are pretty good for me (recently got hitched).
Congratulations. Welcome to Legion of the Damned! :-D So the potential for Dashing Chaplets is now a non-zero field. :wink:

You know I've changed my tune a bit regarding our old debate, I'm inclined to think mankind needs myth and allegory to live a content life as there's not much to offer in nihilism.
Hmm. Moved to the Light Side of the Force, you have.

Chav man was a fine fellow but the cronies I call friends are far worse. ;)

There's a good reason for my lack of standards and poor company too. I was never in a regiment, I was one of those nautical types.
I did actually remember that, but I was being polite and offering you a way out (a bit like the Russian kid who said his father was a piano player in a brothel because 'KGB Colonel' would have been embarrassing).

Even better ...

Electrodes fitted behind your ear can make you walk faster
How long before smart devices get the ability to 'help' users by determining what they think?

What that's you say? "But these devices involve putting electrodes into the brain and my iPhandroid doesn't do that.". Oh, don't worry about that, a mere detail. We techies have got that bit covered too:

This article in the
Daily Mail
caught my eye as being somewhat apposite to the discussion.

Mark Zuckerberg wants brain-reading device control virtual augmented reality

Given the number of teenage lads that will lap this kind of thing up, I suggest we all buy shares in companies that manufacture robotic right hands.

It's not just normal, it's essential.

If everything is 'okay', then society falls to pieces.

It's 'okay' not to work? Society will pick up the tab.
It's 'okay' to overeat'? Society will pay the medical bills.
It's 'okay' to commit a crime if you've an 'issue'? Society will accept that you didn't have the advantages of others.
It's 'okay' for a child to misbehave? Society will understand that the child has difficulties.
You're non-binary in gender? Society will bend over backwards to accommodate you.

In reality, most of society is fed up to the back teeth of 'understanding'. There's nothing wrong with 'normal' being an aspiration - or , at least, everyone whomever they are achieving agreed norms of acceptable behaviour. And yes, that includes standards of dress and so on.
Well, I'm not bending over forwards for the non-binary. Just in case.

Looking at the pathetic. and sometimes ludicrous, sentences and comments
By the courts you say? One need not go all the way to the Old Bailey--just surf through some threads here.

The "don't be judgemental" thing is one of those weird social mores that everyone just accepts and no one questions. Another example might be "you can't generalise". Eh? People generalise all the time. Scientists have to generalise to formulate their ideas, Engineers generalise to get a quick idea of what they are dealing with, everyone generalises, all the time, every day, generally speaking...

It's true though, a lot of people who say "don't be judgemental" do it for self-serving purposes or to win some kind of argument; to shirk responsibility. As if "judgement" itself was a bad thing. It can't be. Judgement is not a thing, it's a process, and just like 'generalisation' everyone does it all the time every day. 60p for a cupcake! (that's taking the piss). 2knicker50 for a pint of decent Ale (I'll have two!). Tony Blair on TV yet again saying "I wholeheartedly believe I did the right thing by going in to Iraq" (Mmmmmm).

So there is definitely a hijacking of the "don't judge" thing for ulterior motives. It's stupid anyway, because you can't stop people from judging just like you can't stop them from generalising.

But I think maybe what some more well-intentioned people mean when they say "you shouldn't judge", or "you shouldn't be so judgemental", is that one should always remember "There but for the grace of God, go I". And that is good advice quite often. We may judge all the time, but it is easy to judge another as well when we have not walked a mile or two in their boots.

Also there is the thing of "Judge not, lest ye be judged". This is another good one.

I've had people rip in to me and judge me when they've seen me do certain things. And quite often they were right to judge me and come to the conclusions they did. Mea culpa.

But then I've had some right hypocrites getting all high and mighty, and when I took a good long hard look at them and 'judged' them, I found them severely lacking and wanting. In fact, it made me look at them in a whole new light. Sod 'em. One of the great things about taking responsibilty for your actions and owning your mistakes, is that you can, with good faith, judge the hell out of other people and measure 'em up in a whole new way. But I don't tend to do this with people, unless they judge me first.

But yeah, it's stupid to say you shouldn't judge. Society should judge its participants a whole lot more. If we did, we wouldn't have to abdicate so much responsibilty to the professionals like the police or judges, to 'judge' them for us. It's a bit late by that stage. A little bit of judgement and social opprobrium goes a long way.

Dat's wat I fink anyways...

This article in the
Daily Mail
caught my eye as being somewhat apposite to the discussion.

Mark Zuckerberg wants brain-reading device control virtual augmented reality

Given the number of teenage lads that will lap this kind of thing up, I suggest we all buy shares in companies that manufacture robotic right hands.

In other news:

Mastercard, Visa, eBay and payments firm Stripe have pulled out of Facebook’s embattled cryptocurrency project, Libra.

Zuck the cuck is a megalomaniac and should be locked up for the good of society. He is a menace.

EDIT:
Guess someone judged him and his company.

He should tell them: "You really shouldn't be so judgemental".

:)

Am I judgemental? Fcuking hell yeah I am. I have standards instilled in me by my parents, my colleagues, those I respect and look up to. But most of all the standards I adopted as part of being in the military, the highest standards of all.

So yes, if I see anything, or anyone who falls beneath those standards, I am judgemental and quick to condemn them for it. Things that spring to mind are:-

1. Shoddy or poor workmanship
2. Lack of pride in self appearance or conduct.
3. Incompetence.
4. Ignorance.
5. Insensitivity.
6. Lack of respect for other people or their property.
7. People who are not punctual.
8. Chavs of every description.
9. Drug users and drug dealers.
10. Timewasters.
11. People who laugh, scream and shout really loud in restaurants.
12. Parents who cant control their kids.

Maybe it is an age thing, and I am just becoming a grumpy old bugger..
You'd hate me then.

2) I learned long ago that that how I look is less important than if I cam do the job. Hence I no longer give a shit whether people like how I look.

5) See above.

6) I've lived most of my life on or around Council estates, or worse.

7) I'll explain later.

See?

I see what you did there. ;-)
Hillary didn't. :twisted:

It would seem that playing her judgemental racist trump card didn't quite have the voter appeal she was hoping for. Difficult to play poker when you keep virtue signalling your cards and disposing of all the redneck suites.

(I 'watched' the carnival unfold via Quora. Half the nation lying in shock in their safe spaces, and the other half basking in the gentle light of Schadenfreude)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads