Being judgemental - Is it something wrong?

Last time I was judgemental was this morning. Trying to eat some breakfast I approached the lady at a nearby table and asked her if she would get off her phone and sort her crying baby out by changing its nappy.
Asked how I knew it needed changing I replied "because the smell of its shit is making my eyes water and putting me off my bacon and eggs!"
Did she tell you the overpowering stench of Mothballs and stale urine was over powering to her, and to 'Feck off you interfering ol' paedo!'

Judging people is fine as long as your final judgement is evidence based.

I.e meeting someone for the first time does not give you evidence, it.mogjt give you examples.

A few days later you will have enough examples that can be used as evidence to prove they're a ****. :D
As for your first contention, is it not a bit more nuanced? I think "judging" others (and here, again is yet more nuance in terms of what is meant by "judging") can be wholly subjective, based perhaps on little more than the input of one or more senses. Add to that, the rolling nature of "judging" in that it is often a process where perspective may change as more inputs are received and processed by the (rational) observer.

This is further complicated by the observer's own biases (and we all have them, even (especially?) those who pride themselves in their "open-mindedness") that may serve to put more weight on one factor over another.

Returning to your point, I think you are quite correct if we are talking about "judging" another's assertion of a putative "fact" rather than "judging" the person. Obviously, this moves the process from subjective to objective where factual, as contrasted to sensory, evidence is needed.

Regrettably, IMHO, and especially in this super-heated polarized environment in which many of us now live, too many people fail to appreciate the distinction and find it difficult to distinguish between how we "feel" about another person (subjective judgment) and what the person communicates in terms of assertions ostensibly based on facts (objective judgment).

I see a difference between exercising one's faculty for judgement, which is essential, and being judgemental.

If I'm going to be judgemental I need to avoid being hasty with it. it's worth taking a step back for a moment and considering what I'd do/how I'd be in a similar situation, as well as what is not evident in the situation I'm
encountering - the bigger picture.

Just for example, say some tw*t is sitting behind you in a restaurant ruining your time because he's talking too loud - you're fuming but what you don't know is it's because his hearing was f*cked along with a few other bits while serving in Helmand......

Experience has taught me to consider everyone hostile until they prove themselves to be otherwise.
That, basically, is how tribes form and grow, or get wiped out.
I have evolved slightly to "trust but verify." ;-)

I worry that some of you may be allowed to vote, drive cars and own goldfish. TBH
It's nice that we have delicate little chrysanthemums like you to do the worrying for those of us who don't give a shit.

Is it a dreadful thing or is it a natural part of social interaction?
No, it is not a dreadful thing. It is a natural part of being part of a functioning person in a decent society. Are all our individual judgements fair, i doubt this but I would say predominately they likely are.

A decent person, will try to balance and contextualise judgements, with the caveat of "not all"... Or 'its not my cup of tea' but its not hurting society as a whole.

To a degree, I think that the increase amongst the social sciences encouraging a lack of individual and societal judgment, is in part why society is become somewhat of a clown world where up is down.

We all have individual beliefs and lines on the sand, we are able in the main to discuss differing views, and in the best of cases agree to disagree, that is what separates us from the animal kingdom and, why we have evolved... Sadly the time we live in has, moved towards winning a discussion to win rather than to reflect, on what is being said and why.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just for example, say some tw*t is sitting behind you in a restaurant ruining your time because he's talking too loud - you're fuming but what you don't know is it's because his hearing was f*cked along with a few other bits while serving in Helmand......
No, you would have known he'd been on tour by the way he snapped the cutlery of his dining partner in half whilst they had their back turned, the ****. :D

It's nice that we have delicate little chrysanthemums like you to do the worrying for those of us who don't give a shit.
You know how to spell chrysanthemums. How many unwashed cocks have you had in your mouth today flower boy....

The answer... ALL OF THEM

I'd suggest that the idea stems from moral relativism and the idea that all judgments are just evidence of bias since there can be no absolute definitions of right and wrong. Philosophically this is entirely correct, but as David Hume said about 300 years ago you can't use philosophy to direct your life or you would never make any decisions so you might as well get on with it using your imperfect biased impressions.

No, it is not a dreadful thing. It is a natural part of being part of a functioning person in a decent society. Are all our individual judgements fair, i doubt this but I would say predominately they likely are.

A decent person, will try to balance and contextualise judgements, with the caveat of "not all"... Or 'its not my cup of tea' but its not hurting society as a whole.

To a degree, I think that the increase amongst the social sciences encouraging a lack of individual and societal judgment, is in part why society is become somewhat of a clown world where up is down.

We all have individual beliefs and lines on the sand, we are able in the main to discuss differing views, and in the best of cases agree to disagree, that is what separates us from the animal kingdom and, why we have evolved... Sadly the time we live in has, moved towards winning a discussion to win rather than to reflect, on what is being said and why.
Judging is what we all do. How we work with that judgement is unique to each. Sentencing and carrying out that sentence is where the can of worms gets opened.

Considering someone a cunt is fine. We're entitled to our opinions. How we deal with that is where it matters. We can either ignore that person or walk over and lop off their head. There are degrees and nuances in between which is where most of us operate.

You know how to spell chrysanthemums. How many unwashed cocks have you had in your mouth today flower boy....

The answer... ALL OF THEM
Your jealousy demeans you. You have to pay them for the experience while I'm coining it.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I think that being judgemental is part of the human condition. Of course, those judgements may be wrong.

I was in a McDonalds a while ago (don't judge) and my son was kicking off big time, due to the noise, the crush of bodies and the buzzing from the fluorescent tubes. Some woman said to her daughter: "That kid needs a good smacked behind." I replied: "Oh really? Would you ring "The Lancet" and let them know that you've found a cure for autism? Just give 'em a belt - that's where I've been going wrong."

Her face flushed as red as a traffic light and she couldn't look at me. I may've mentioned the words bitch and ignorant, although not necessarily in that order.

Troy

LE
Of course I'm judgemental. Having been at the receiving end of judgemental comments from all manner of people over the years. Comments on opinions quickly formed and way, way wrong over 99% of the time. By people who don't know bugger-all about anything and ain't worth a shit. I consider that I have an absolute right to be as judgemental as I want!

But it's the snide ones who I particularly dislike. Such as those who tell you things like; "I'm a vegan." When what they are really saying is; "I am on the moral high ground here because I don't eat anything with a face and I don't take advantage of animals. But you are some sort of lesser person than I." They are judging you. However, they are wrong too and can feck right off!
I am obviously on the moral high ground as I don't drop litter; nor do I park inconsiderately or have to reverse out of a parking spot, and I don't have a noisy household either. I judge other people who do these things to be lesser mortals than I am. So there!

Latest Threads