Being judgemental - Is it something wrong?

I think that I am judgemental. I think that anyone who holds an opinion about anything, particularly if they are willing to voice it or defend it, is judgemental. But we constantly hear people in real life, in the media, everywhere else, saying, "Don't be so judgemental" (surely making such a statement involves judging somebody else). Is it something that you would ever hear from someone who agreed with one's estimation of something or someone? Or is it something you only ever hear from someone who does not share your opinion and does not like their own opinions being contradicted or challenged?

Is it a dreadful thing or is it a natural part of social interaction?

It's a dreadful part of social interaction :)

Seriously, it's natural. Everyone is judgemental to a certain degree, where it causes problems is when you marry it to a closed mind and aggressive behaviour.

PS

Don't judge me man, you weren't there

I think that I am judgemental. I think that anyone who holds an opinion about anything, particularly if they are willing to voice it or defend it, is judgemental. But we constantly hear people in real life, in the media, everywhere else, saying, "Don't be so judgemental" (surely making such a statement involves judging somebody else). Is it something that you would ever hear from someone who agreed with one's estimation of something or someone? Or is it something you only ever hear from someone who does not share your opinion and does not like their own opinions being contradicted or challenged?

Of course it's normal. Even babes in arms are judgemental. It doesn't mean having to be horrible to someone else though.

Unless they're a god-botherer obviously.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Judging people is fine as long as your final judgement is evidence based.

I.e meeting someone for the first time does not give you evidence, it.mogjt give you examples.

A few days later you will have enough examples that can be used as evidence to prove they're a ****. :D

Of course it's normal. Even babes in arms are judgemental. It doesn't mean having to be horrible to someone else though.
That has a different name, though, doesn't it? It's called being horrible to someone else.

I know there are many now who consider that voicing an opinion that is at odds with one's own is being horrible. Hence 'no platform', 'safe space' etc. Censorship, in some areas, has become the acceptable alternative to judgementalism.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not just normal, it's essential.

If everything is 'okay', then society falls to pieces.

It's 'okay' not to work? Society will pick up the tab.
It's 'okay' to overeat'? Society will pay the medical bills.
It's 'okay' to commit a crime if you've an 'issue'? Society will accept that you didn't have the advantages of others.
It's 'okay' for a child to misbehave? Society will understand that the child has difficulties.
You're non-binary in gender? Society will bend over backwards to accommodate you.

In reality, most of society is fed up to the back teeth of 'understanding'. There's nothing wrong with 'normal' being an aspiration - or , at least, everyone whomever they are achieving agreed norms of acceptable behaviour. And yes, that includes standards of dress and so on.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last time I was judgemental was this morning. Trying to eat some breakfast I approached the lady at a nearby table and asked her if she would get off her phone and sort her crying baby out by changing its nappy.
Asked how I knew it needed changing I replied "because the smell of its shit is making my eyes water and putting me off my bacon and eggs!"

I was "dissing" her apparently, not showing "respect" and being "judgemental"....

I judged her to be a cnut

Is this all because your view on Brexit isn't being reciprocated by most on here?

It is about Brexit isn't it?

In my view you are only negatively judgemental if you air your opinions of another either written or vocally.
Everyone is entitled to private thoughts or opinions. Just a component of high self awareness that lesser beasts don't have.
As my beloved Papa taught me, words are often of no value, silence is priceless.
And that came from a quiet physical giant of a man and Govan cabinet maker on Govan's shipbuilding docks.

You can be a right cnut sometimes though.

Only kiddin';)

Its nature versus progressive liberalism in action.... Nature has people choosing who they freely associate with and that instinct, is to choose those like you. Nature also places demands on others within a group to conform to the natural order of things that the majority have decided holds it all together. (Without respect for order and territory, nature knows we will fight).

The left long ago cottoned on to the hurt feelings of those not chosen, or ostracised by class. The right being champions of identity and community.. Since WW2, the left have cleverly tapped into the right and now link community with openness and demands that none shall be excluded and everyone in the community to conform to its new non-judgemental view.

Those who refuse to conform, are bad, diseased renegades who might be allowed to exist, so long as they remain quiet. Anyone who has confronted an SJW knows the incident has marked you out as a troublemaker.

If it is accepted that Political Correctness is an assault on language, destroying all nuance and twisting words to new meanings, then conflating 'judgment' with 'judgmental' is simply PC in action in an undereducated population. With language weaponised through the medium of mass communication.

Those not yet re-educated still see the separation but the goodly folk howling at the OP, less so.

So, 'judgment', a core survival instinct, with a part of the brain specifically tasked with making them and honed by constant practise in the military environment.

'Judging', what my overly well-trousered relative does when voicing his opinion that the entire USA is a deplorable entity, though he has never been there, doesn't read anything not published by Mills & Boon and
gets his opinions from - well let's just say Pam Ayres had him in mind in the poem - 'They should have asked my husband'.

'Judgemental' in this context, the supremely ironic accusation of the educationally dispossessed, but entirely sincere, 'right on'.
All in my very humble opinion of course, lest I be judged for it.

Judging people is fine as long as your final judgement is evidence based.

I.e meeting someone for the first time does not give you evidence, it.mogjt give you examples.

A few days later you will have enough examples that can be used as evidence to prove they're a ****. :D
I thought after a few months of a person I work with being promoted to way beyond his capabilities or understanding was enough to make a judgment about him, but no. Every single day he proves that he can, in fact, be a bigger twat than I previously thought. Amazingly I've discovered that far from having lost all respect for him, he can still do/not do things that drop him further down in my estimation.
If the spitting Image John Major puppet had a child with the Abottamus, it would still be better than him.

Yes keep your shit opinions of people to yourself

Last time I was judgemental was this morning. Trying to eat some breakfast I approached the lady at a nearby table and asked her if she would get off her phone and sort her crying baby out by changing its nappy.
Asked how I knew it needed changing I replied "because the smell of its shit is making my eyes water and putting me off my bacon and eggs!"

I was "dissing" her apparently, not showing "respect" and being "judgemental"....

I judged her to be a cnut
You sound like a right c.u.n.t

That has a different name, though, doesn't it? It's called being horrible to someone else.

I know there are many now who consider that voicing an opinion that is at odds with one's own is being horrible. Hence 'no platform', 'safe space' etc. Censorship, in some areas, has become the acceptable alternative to judgementalism.
Has any of this in anyway at all effected your existence negatively

No-platforming is, like, so judgmental.

Latest Threads