Being in the TA/Army Reserve

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Dan1990, Nov 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, this is my first post but I’ve been readingabout for quite some time.
    I'm here for your opinions and what you think matters to me.

Anyway let me start, I'm in the TA, I was a part of the summer challenge lastJuly at Grantham but failed my weapons and handling test so I’m still in training.
    What’s making me consider if I should continue in the TA is what I honestlywant to commit to.

What it boils down to is Mobilisation and put simply going to war.
    My point of view is this; I have no intention fighting a war I don’t believe inhowever I am more than willing to fight a war that I do believe in.

Let’s use examples, if our country is in threat, I am willing to commit andfight a war that I believe needs to be fought.
    If however this includes fighting a war in the Middle East that’s of no benefitto the country or my countrymen, the answer is simply no, I don’t want any partof it. Not because I don't want to get killed believe it or not but simplybecause I refuse to fight a war that I believe is inherently wrong.

Now, it’s quite obvious someone might say, ‘why are you in the army?’ ‘The armyis about doing what you’re told, no questions asked’.

Well the answer to this is the reason I’m here asking each and everyone one ofyou what I should do. I ask for your views now because I don't want to be seenas the person who gets the benefits of the TA and has no intention of going towar because I’m making that clear right now.

My Integrity means everything to me but should someone likeme stay in the TA or should I ask to leave?
  2. I'l sit in the corner with my popcorn. This could get interesting. :party:
  3. It's probably not for you then.
  4. I suspect the X-Factor has finished, self abuse has got boring and now they're looking for a bite.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. IMO you should defiantly ask to leave. Your views which incidentally you are entitled to completely undermine the values and standards of the Army and are an insult to the people who have fought in Afghanistan which includes me.

Look up the values and standards of the British Army aka CDRILLS. You seem to lack all of them but mainly selfless commitment and loyalty.

We can't pick and choose our own 'perfect war' to go and fight, we go where we are sent, regardless of what we think about it. This is one of the reasons we are the best Army on the planet, and one that could do without you and people like you as you are poison!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Have I fell for a wind up? Gullible me!
  7. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Time for you to leave the TA.

Take a look at recent history and determine whether your view on Iraq and/or Afghanistan would have 'allowed' you to deploy....

Sometimes you go where you are told whether you like it or not, or whether you think it legal or not.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Find a nice quiet spot, sit down and stab yourself to death you fucking whinging tosser.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. "Join the TA and pick your War"
    I'm claimimg copyright on that, I'm sure the CDS will see the merit in members of a branch of the Armed Services being able to opt out of being mobilised for certain theatres.
    You sign a contract with the Government that says they will pay and train you to fulfill your role and you will..... DOASYERFECKINTELTLADDIE!
    Once you understand that everything will fall into place and you'll soldier on in a much better frame of mind and hopefully pass your drills and skills courses.
    Best of luck.
  10. I just couldn't be bothered to write a long response.

11. I don't think what Iv'e said should insult anyone who has been to Afghanistan, I respect anyone who has the core values of loyalty and selfless commitment. It's about what we attribute those values to I'm concerned about.
    You may think that I'm poison and I can understand why you might think that but I just want you to know, that its exactly the people who have been to war who I care for the most. An Army just doesn't work if it's soldiers question orders and I know that.
  12. The TA is not for you.

Toddle off, good lad.
  13. I fought for my muckers and my own arse, not the politics. Hope that helps.
  14. Do you have a day job? Does your boss let you pick and choose when to work and what to do? No? Then why should you expect to take taxpayers money and have the choice what to do?

Anyways, since you clearly from your own thread are too much of a mong to even learn to use the rifle properly (and lets face it its not exactly a heavy complicated machine is it?), with those shoddy skills and crap ideas perhaps it would be better for those around you if you handed your kit in and did something more in line with your opinions, like adopting baby rabbits and eating quiche
  15. Right, I see the reception isn't exactly positive and Iunderstand that. Let me just say something about what was going through my mindwhen I decided to join the TA in the first place.
    My idea of the TA was that it was purely a defense force, a means to use if waris necessary. The paper that I signed said, one will be compulsory mobilised ifthere is an imminent threat, the question is what an 'imminent threat' is.