Being in the TA and Job Interviews

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by LordVonHarley, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the moment I'm trying to find a new job, I can get the interviews ok but as soon as I mention I'm in the TA the interviewer gives me the kind of look reserved for some one who has just anounced his weekend job is bayonetting unwanted kittens in an animal shelter, turning them into pies and feeding them the orphans he has locked in the celler.

I mention being in the TA on my C.V so can I get away with not mentioning it if they do not ask about it?

2. Take it off don't mention it till you've got the job then :roll:

3. I would put it on your CV and then leave it at that. If they bring it up talk about how it has helped you and been an asset.
    I'd already been in my job for 9 years when I told them I was thinking about joining. They were surprisingly supportive!

4. You have to tell an employer that you are in the TA. I would make little of it on your cv and see if they mention it. Dont go rabbiting on about past deployments etc, if they are interested they will ask but make it all relevant to your prospective job.

5. I have reworked my C.V - being in the TA is now assigned to two characters under "Hobbies and Interests".

What gets me is the reaction. One interviewer stated in suprise that she did not know why ANYONE would want to do it and although her son watched the Commando series he would never join up as he is inteligent and dislikes rolling in the mud.

Needless to say I did not get the job.

6. I would have walked out of the interview. I've done it before and I would do it again.

7. One job you do for roughly 2 1/2 days a week that you spend most of the money on kit. The other pays the mortgage, puts food in your families mouths and clothes on their back.

Get the job; settle in, you might not even like it, in which case change, when you're settled mention your thinking of joining. You have to look after yourself, the TA will deffiently not guarantee you pay and work and as tosabre they toothless old goats.

edited as I started spelling like a mong

8. Well, as part of my interview for my current job i had to give a presentation, so i actually gave my presentation on the TA!

And... it went down well. My employers saw the transferrable skills and found out what the real time requirement is. That turned out to be an important impression to correct as some employers think its too much of a demand on staff time/energy and therefore aren't keen.

TB

9. Yes, there are checks and balances to disclosure. You MUST inform your employer that you are a member of the TA. That said, at interview they are only your prospective employers. That's where the gamble is.

Research the Company. If it's a big one e.g. BT, they actively encourage TA membership. Smaller companies may not understand the TA ethos, so be prepared to fight your case when the negativity comes up at interview. The message is: confident employee with transferrable skills (though kitten bayonet practice is probably best left in the closed ruksack until you are a member of their workforce).

It's the whole Army in Society thing. We are (both regular and TA) a bit of a mystery to the average civilian, despite the best efforts of the tame media. Civvies need to be disabused of the opinion that the pointy end of a bayonet is the only piece of equipment used. Some us even use our brains (from time to time).

It's a hard call, but sooner or later they're going to have to know and unless you've researched the Company, it's policies about TA etc. then perhaps 'later' might be the better option.

Good luck.

10. Mmmm. It's a mixed bag really, I've have wholly negative and positive reactions. I'd put it on, as frankly I don't want to work with the sort of half-wit who has an issue with the Armed Forces, or confuses politics with function in our current deployments.

11. I put in the "Interests" section

"an active member of the reserve forces"

And leave it at that, I haven't lied, its thier but hardly anyone reads beyond your last 3 or 4 jobs, many many times I have been on a job a number of months before anyone knew I was even an ex-reg when its in the jobs section, just at the bottom as it was my first real job.

12. I agree its a hard call, but at the end of the day the job you are applying for is the one, as has been said, which will pay all your bills. You do need to research the company and whilst i agree that many large companies which actively promote TA membership there are also other comapnies which do not. For example the large petrochemical company which has in its terms of service that you may only have one job, deliberately introduced - i am advised - to counter the TA mobilisation threat.

Is it dishonest to withhold information from the prospective employer, i would say probably yes. It would be a hell of a bitter pill to swallow if you withheld the info and they subsequently found out, having hired you, which they are bound to do, then sacked you on the grounds of a fraudulent application. I think the advice that you should mention it in your CV and then see if they pick up on it is right. In your CV though you may wish to expand on the competences and transferable skills that this would bring their company.

I also agree that i would probably have walked out on the interview where the stupid woman just slagged off the TA. Ignorant witch!!!

13. Thanks for all the advice. If I was to stick with contracting would I only have to inform the agancy I use and not the client?

14. My thoughts are never having done agency work but having used them, is that if you have informed the agency i would have thought you have done your bit, it is up to the agency to inform their customer. The contract presumably is between the agency and the company not you and the company.

15. I spent about 3 years working as a contractor.
    You do not need to inform your agency or whoever it is you’re contracting for that you’re in the TA, it’s not a legal requirement and that don’t really care as you’re just a temp (even on a rolling contract).

It’s only if you’re applying for a permanent job that you need to inform you’re employer.