Being asked to change squadrons

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by The_Hussar, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in the position of being part of a certian horse-riding unit near cirencester but have yet to attest. I have completed TAFS 1 but have now been told that they want me to move to the salisbury lot instead, is there anything i can do about this aside from leaving? any help/ideas gladly accepted.

The Hussar,

Ps sorry for for being overly euphemistic but thought it safer with regards to OPSEC/PERSEC
  2. find out why. If its because you work and / or work near Salisbury it makes sense for them and it would be hard to argue against.

If, however, its a case that they want you go go to Salisbury just to boost numbers and you live nearer to Cirencester then you can at very least state a case for remaining where you are, TA=Territorial Army= Local.

It might not work, but find out why before making any rash decisions.

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

One hell of a commute if you live in Cirencester. Yeomanry unit in swindon, or even infantry has started recruting there
  4. Thanks chaps, i forgot to mention that i currently live near winchester but that is due to change quite soon as it's quite likely i will be in london or gloucestershire somewhere. While salisbury is closer right now there is only 30 mins in it due to various rubbish roads, and if i am taking a long term view of being in TA, cirencester will always always managable whatever i'm doing unlike salisbury.
    chrisg46 i am happy to do the commute and i also prefer the people in ciren to salisbury.
  5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

fair enuff matey, just doing my bit for recruitment :yawnstretch:
  6. chrisg46- sorry didn't mean my comments in bad way, i do realise that there are other units out there i but am quite set (for the moment) on the ciren mob. If they do tell me where the door is then i suspect i will give HAC or something a shot but ideally i'd prefer to be yeomanry.
  7. the one at Salisbury is far and away the better unit though. Don't know if that's a general comment re populations of Salisbury/Cirencester, but IMHO the lads @ RWY were some of the best I've ever had the fortune of being with. Don't let the SSM put you off, he's cracking once you get used to him!! Why don't you go down a couple of times and see what you think of it? There are a number of lads who come from London, so I'm sure you could share transport with them. Training is excellent as they're right next to SPTA, so you get a lot of decent time in the field. And why would you want to be a cheese roller anyway??.......
  8. Wyvern - Am going to give them try before i make any snap decisions, at least then i can say i've tried. Out of interest, what on earth is a cheese roller?
  9. If you're going to be in London, why not join the Putney Hussars?
  10. If in London why not join G company we're re-badging on the third but still a good bunch.......
  11. Someone from Gloucestershire... they chase cheese down hills. Surely you'd rather be with a nice warry squadron than one that gets babybelles rolled at them on exercise?...
  12. I must confess i know bugger all about most of the london based units, could someone please fill me in (no, not an invitation) on who G company and the putney hussars are?
  13. Hussar, You seem rather fixated on the socially acceptable units. I suggest therefore you join the 2314 Mobile Latrine Unit of the RLC in Stroud. Apart from being commanded by a Duke's youngest son, they have their own polo grounds, wear a uniform modelled on 19th century dragoons service-dress and require a personal private income of £250000. By tradition their adjutant is furnished by the Coldstream Guards as is their RSM. Last months all ranks dinner has seriously limited the ability of Moet et Chandon to supply the champagne for the 2012 Olympics.
  14. 2314 turned you down then Cuddles ?.