Being 29, too old or still go for it?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by J35_T3R, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thinking about going down the regular route rather than TA.

I'll be 29 this year but after I pay off some debts I'm considering going regular.

Working in my industry I'm changing jobs every 2 years tops to keep myself in work and can't be hacked with it any longer.

Would prefer a more hands on job, less desk and more action but are there many 'older' recruits signing up these day?

2. 29's fine. Your maturity should help you through, provided you can put up with people being 10 years younger than you. Any thoughts on trade/arm.

3. Get down the careers office now!

4. There was a man of 37 when i went in to get my start date not so long ago.

5. Only one way to go mate, through the door of the careers office and get the application rolling. Decide what you want to do when you walk in and that saves a few weeks of garbage.

6. Going in to my local AFCO on Tuesday of next week to speak things through with them.

Not sure if I'd be laughed and shown the door again?!

Not 100% sure what I want to do, got an Engineering back ground in utilities, what use could I be?

7. Any reason why you find it appropriate to post in "telegramme-style"? Just wondering, as have seen it a few time before.

Or is that actually how you talk? :D :D :D

MsG

8. 29 is definately not too old to be joining, we regularly have people aged around the 30 mark coming to us for Personal Development days. You wont be the first, and certainly not the last! I am sure you don't need to worry about being laughed at, unless of course you are ginger. ;)

Speak to one of the office staff, and they will go through all of the options that are open to you- you may well find a job that has nothing to do with your previous experience, you never know!

9. **** it you only live once, if its what you want to do just go for it!

10. Hi mate im 29 and just passed selection. Start basic in May. The hardest think you have to do is walk through the door of the recruitment office. It took me 2 years to have the balls to do that and it's the best thing i have ever done. I have changed so much since then and im not even started basic yet. Go for it mate and look at the things that you will gain.

11. 37?
    theres hope for us oldies then
    :D

12. Try and work out what you want to do in the army.

Infantry or not? Is the first question.

13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

So let's pretend he's 42. Should he still be asking infantry or not? Stick to what you know and stop offering bone advice, everyone has different reasons for joining.

14. just trying to save the bloke some time thats all.

15. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Fair enough but how does your answer - infantry or not - save him time when he's asking the question about how many older recruits are signing up nowadays? RTFQ!