Beijing

I see the slanty eyed noodle munchers have launched yet another attack on our ARRSE at early o'clock.

Mods - can we not just block any new member with a chinese ip address until they've been vetted and verified as a normal human being?

I see the slanty eyed noodle munchers have launched yet another attack on our ARRSE at early o'clock.

Mods - can we not just block any new member with a chinese ip address until they've been vetted and verified as a normal human being?
Never

You don't really get internet service provision, do you?

It might theoretically be possible to scan each new post or thread to check if most of the characters fall into the unicode range for English, and either automatically flag it for a mod to decide on it or even hide it until passed by a mod. Well established posters could be white listed, but that probably wouldn't be necessary.

I said "theoretically" because I don't know if the forum software would currently allow for that, and making major changes to the software may not be within the budget for the site owners.

Blocking Chinese IP addresses wouldn't be a good idea for two reasons. One is that the site has some well regarded members posting (in English) from that area (expats working there), and it would be a bad idea to stop people like that from signing up.

The other problem is that we don't know that the posts themselves originate from China. They could be from anywhere. Someone could rent a server in the US and program it to pump out spam. Someone could be using a VPN service that makes it appear they are in whatever country they wish. Blocking by IP address is very easy to get around.

What the spammers appear to be doing is trying to make their web sites rank higher in search engines by posting references to them on long establish sites such as AARSE that themselves rank highly on search engines.

The most practical solution to this specific problem from a theoretical perspective is as I said is probably to filter on character set, but I don't know how feasible that may be in practice for the site owners.

It might theoretically be possible to scan each new post or thread to check if most of the characters fall into the unicode range for English, and either automatically flag it for a mod to decide on it or even hide it until passed by a mod. Well established posters could be white listed, but that probably wouldn't be necessary.

I said "theoretically" because I don't know if the forum software would currently allow for that, and making major changes to the software may not be within the budget for the site owners.

Blocking Chinese IP addresses wouldn't be a good idea for two reasons. One is that the site has some well regarded members posting (in English) from that area (expats working there), and it would be a bad idea to stop people like that from signing up.

The other problem is that we don't know that the posts themselves originate from China. They could be from anywhere. Someone could rent a server in the US and program it to pump out spam. Someone could be using a VPN service that makes it appear they are in whatever country they wish. Blocking by IP address is very easy to get around.

What the spammers appear to be doing is trying to make their web sites rank higher in search engines by posting references to them on long establish sites such as AARSE that themselves rank highly on search engines.

The most practical solution to this specific problem from a theoretical perspective is as I said is probably to filter on character set, but I don't know how feasible that may be in practice for the site owners.
Cracking idea, but what about those of us who innocently use the 'ü' to sneak past the swear filter?

We all see it and as the good (I think) CO keeps on posting...

Do not reply to spammers.

They can and will find a way whatever is done to spam the site.

Security is not a dirty word, and it takes us all to make sure it is complied with.

Jobby is a dirty word.

Cracking idea, but what about those of us who innocently use the 'ü' to sneak past the swear filter?
That's why I said "most" rather than all. It also wouldn't do to bin posts just because some name mentioned in the post had accented characters in it or because someone was quoting a small block of text and then providing a translation of it.

However you might analyse a post (or new thread) and apply a few criteria to it such as checking to see if the percentage of non-English characters exceeds a certain threshold while ignoring any characters in a URL as not significant to the score. If that trips the alarm then check to see how long a poster has been registered and whether the poster has been actively posting during that time - e.g. made more than 20 posts. The latter set of checks would tell us that the post may be legitimate and it was a false alarm.

This wouldn't solve all spam problems, just those associated with this particular spammer who has been targeting ARRSE lately. He is probably targeting a lot of forums so you don't need a foolproof solution, just one that is good enough to make him not bother adjusting his tactics to get around this filter.

However, this would have to be a solution which was simple and low cost for the site owners, so I don't know how practical this would be for the site owners when using this forum software.

That's why I said "most" rather than all. It also wouldn't do to bin posts just because some name mentioned in the post had accented characters in it or because someone was quoting a small block of text and then providing a translation of it.

However you might analyse a post (or new thread) and apply a few criteria to it such as checking to see if the percentage of non-English characters exceeds a certain threshold while ignoring any characters in a URL as not significant to the score. If that trips the alarm then check to see how long a poster has been registered and whether the poster has been actively posting during that time - e.g. made more than 20 posts. The latter set of checks would tell us that the post may be legitimate and it was a false alarm.

This wouldn't solve all spam problems, just those associated with this particular spammer who has been targeting ARRSE lately. He is probably targeting a lot of forums so you don't need a foolproof solution, just one that is good enough to make him not bother adjusting his tactics to get around this filter.

However, this would have to be a solution which was simple and low cost for the site owners, so I don't know how practical this would be for the site owners when using this forum software.
That sounds fücking complicated.

That sounds fücking complicated.
The basics aren't. Determining the proportion of English to non-English text is simply a matter of counting up the number of characters that have an ordinal value below 127 and those above and then dividing the one count by the other.

The main question is whether the forum software has a spam filter option that takes pluggable filters so that they can automate quarantining suspect posts. I know that the Xenforo software has some sort of anti-spam system, but I don't know if it can be customised and whether or not it is an extra-cost option (in which case the site operators may not want to pay to enable it).

The basics aren't. Determining the proportion of English to non-English text is simply a matter of counting up the number of characters that have an ordinal value below 127 and those above and then dividing the one count by the other.

The main question is whether the forum software has a spam filter option that takes pluggable filters so that they can automate quarantining suspect posts. I know that the Xenforo software has some sort of anti-spam system, but I don't know if it can be customised and whether or not it is an extra-cost option (in which case the site operators may not want to pay to enable it).
o_OYou might as well be be speaking Japanese for the sense that makes to most of us on here:)

Can we not just ban the french..and start working our way upwards?