Beijing Shows Growing Ambitions in Warming Arctic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by petergriffen, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll get my thermals on.

2. So, any jokes about "another Chinese take-away"?

3. At the moment, the main factor in this from Beijing's point of view is shipping lanes. If the Arctic ice flows melt sufficiently to have all-year round reliably-navigable shipping lanes, it'll shave around 4,000 miles off the journey to Europe and the US Eastern seaboard. That's a massive cost saving for exporters and will help keep Chinese manufacturers and finishers competitive even if they do revalue the Yuan.

The last decade has seen a massive infrastructure investment in ports in Shandong and Liaoning provinces to the north. They can sure do forward planning, this lot.

4. That's interesting. Hadn't heard about that.

The news here seem to focus on China wanting to not miss out on the resource rights and land mass.

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

yer can all bugger of Im pitching my tent on it and its all mine.

6. China, urined of because they dont have a slice of the pie, yet!

SK

7. Oh, they're playing the long game on that as well, but for the moment they realise there's a Mexican standoff over territorial rights in the Arctic so they're focussing effort on what's achievable in the short to medium term.

There's a reason why the biggest embassy to Iceland has the wuxing hongqi flying from the roof.

8. Don't be silly. There's no such thing as global warning. It's all a plot by weather forecasters to lead the news bulletins and achieve celebrity status on 'Britain's Got Weather'. Sensible people like Sarah Palin know that.

9. or if you ask Hugo Chav-ez the US has a big secret space heater that's warming the arctic.

10. There was me wondering what Mexico's interest was in the Arctic :oops: