Behind the Lines. RM Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre 1985 documentary.

I cant view this because I'm overseas (and havent downloaded expat shield yet ;) ) but I'm sure I saw it when it was first broadcast.

Does it end with the course leaving the training area in a helicopter thinking it was all over, but the DS had one more surprise lined up for them? Think they got ambushed and a brawl broke out which ended when a big Danish or Norwegian bloke got an SLR butt smashed in his grid.

Fronty

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I watched the whole of that series and the whole of The Paras o iplayer over the weekend. My wife was not too impressed with me for doing it, but I remember both of them from my childhood.

A huge source or inspiration for my future career choice. I think I even have the book that was brought out for the "The Paras" series somewhere. That was a good Christmas present!

M

Mark The Convict

Bugger. 'Only available in the UK', according to the blurb - I'll have to settle for having read Unscathed by Phil Ashby (QGM?) A ripping yarn, for those who haven't.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I can remember this from a kid as well
I remember one of the blokes firing off into the ground in a temper after getting caught.

Didn't they do a follow up series a year or two later?

Did 5 winters in Norway in the late 70s and early 80s.

The training ended with a 2 week exercise in North Norway. RM against AMF(L).

Beautiful scenery and great times. It made the whole Bn very fit (this was largely due to the work involved trying to stand up with a bergen after ploughing in with skis on, yet again).

I cant view this because I'm overseas (and havent downloaded expat shield yet ;) ) but I'm sure I saw it when it was first broadcast.

Does it end with the course leaving the training area in a helicopter thinking it was all over, but the DS had one more surprise lined up for them? Think they got ambushed and a brawl broke out which ended when a big Danish or Norwegian bloke got an SLR butt smashed in his grid.
IIRC, the hunter force were Norwegian SF and they did indeed ambush the blokes at the "end" of the exercise, before taking them away for RTI training. The Marines were expecting something like this, and made sure the biggest guys got off the chopper first. It took three Norwegians to bring down the big Dane, and even then they had to hit him with a rifle.:shock:

Classic TV series.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Edited to add:

Turned it off for now, as too many redirects and dodgy pop-ups!

Latest Threads