Behind Enemy Lines: in Afghanistan

Behind Enemy Lines: more revealing than a thousand Afghan conferences

Author: Jonathan Miller|Posted: 8:59 pm on 28/01/10
Category: World News Blog | Tags: Afghanistan/ al-Qaida/ Taliban
On a pinboard in the Pentagon in the summer of 2004, as insurgency in Iraq took a turn for the worse, they put up a flier advertising a special screening of Gillo Pontecorvo’s 1966 classic film The Battle of Algiers.

It depicts the ruthless tactics employed by French colonial paratroopers and nationalist guerrillas in the Kasbah of Algiers – the Fallujah of its day. The film was promoted as a “watch and learn” experience for all would-be counter-insurgency strategy strategists.

Now Nato in Afghanistan has a rather more up-to-date “watch and learn” experience coming soon.

Next Monday night, Channel 4’s Dispatches programme will be screening “Behind Enemy Lines” in which award-winning Afghan journalist Najibullah Quraishi spends ten days with a group of fanatical jihadi fighters – some of them Talibs, others belonging to the Hezb-i-Islami faction, others foreigners belonging to al-Qaida.
That reporter has got a great big brass pair. Sobering opinion.

Andy_S the best place to get it after it airs is from either or You will need a torrent downloader - if you do not already have one then I recommend

Most UK programmes are uploaded to these sites within 24 hours of being shown. I get all of my British TV from here, Japanese TV being utter crap in general.

Any probs feel free to pm me

Latest Threads