• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Beharry VC suicide attempt

I agree. Many on here will know that depression is an illness the same as breaking an arm or having appendicitus or whatever. Whatever his demons are, I hope he has overcome them or is in the process of doing that. Lot's of other young soldiers are no doubt going through similar experiences and maybe, Beharry's story might encourage them to get proper help.

It's rather more complex than that as he's had a serious head injury. This often leads to big personality changes and depressive episodes as a direct result. It's often difficult to tell whether ABI sufferers are suffering from depression because they're depressed, as a result of the brain injury (ie as a cognitive change that the injury has caused not just loss of employment/physical function etc) or a mixture of both.

It can also result in acts of great impulsivity like the one he discusses. It isn't easy to define what causes events like this sometimes.

llech said:
And that Officer, is why I crashed my car doing a ton in a built up area!
:D It may have been a serious cry for help that he's not getting rather than just a cock up, but it was certainly not a genuine suicide attempt. I hope it wakes up the politicians to the issue of psychological care, but equally many on here would do well to realise just how ineffective psychotherapy can be with some patients. It works for many (perhaps even most) but it isn't a magic bullet by any means.

jew_unit said:
llech said:
:D It may have been a serious cry for help that he's not getting rather than just a cock up, but it was certainly not a genuine suicide attempt. I hope it wakes up the politicians to the issue of psychological care, but equally many on here would do well to realise just how ineffective psychotherapy can be with some patients. It works for many (perhaps even most) but it isn't a magic bullet by any means.
I refer you to my above post, it isn't as simple as this. As he's a serving soldier he'll have much easier and quicker access to a range of psychological interventions than a civilian would. Incidentally they're demonstrably more effective than anything else for anyone suffering from depression.

psychobabble said:
jew_unit said:
llech said:
I refer you to my above post, it isn't as simple as this. As he's a serving soldier he'll have much easier and quicker access to a range of psychological interventions than a civilian would. Incidentally they're demonstrably more effective than anything else for anyone suffering from depression.

I know they're demonstrably more effecitve than anything else, but thats partly because the other options are medication, alcohol or trips to the zoo to make you feel good. That doesn't change the fact that psychotherapy fails in a significant number of patients.

I don't think he is the most decorated soldier in the British Army...that would be Corporal of Horse Michael Flynn CGC MC of the HCR if we are just talking gallantry awards? Not to mention quite a few officers with a couple of decorations e.g. a CB and a CBE.

what a throbber, fair enough if he wants to top himself thats up to him but why endanger other people ,theres plenty of ways to top yourself without endangering others and wantonly damaging tax payers property, however at least his poor taste in cars means he didnt write off something decent

auxie said:
what a throbber, fair enough if he wants to top himself thats up to him but why endanger other people ,theres plenty of ways to top yourself without endangering others and wantonly damaging tax payers property, however at least his poor taste in cars means he didnt write off something decent
Cut the man some slack. He's not simply suffering with a psychological condition, but a physiological one too.
ABI's (acquired brain injuries) can play havoc with your ability to make rational decisions.
Luckily, the only casualties were a tacky car and a lamp post.

I'm a bit apprehrensive for his sake about him contacting the papers.
Acclaim can be a powerful addictive drug but papers like the Sun can be very fickle and can turn on a sixpence when they've had enough mileage out of you in one direction.

I don't think he's getting the best advice or if he is, he's not heeding it.

As an aside, I wonder if that was the story he told the insurance company? They have long memories and a difference set of circumstances may have some bearing on his claim or future ones.

thegimp said:
bovvy said:
Jew_Unit. The aim of therapy is to replace clinical depression with common misery. It isn't to make you happy.
That is excellent, I may have to borrow that. :D
Its not a famous quote is it
It might be a famous quote? I can't remember the exact wording. It might be "unhappiness", not "misery". It might be "substitute" not "replace". The last bit might be, "Who promised you happiness?". If you find the correct wording, and Google it, you might find is a famous quote. :?

EDIT: It's getting into philosophy, but I suppose, when one looks at many people's lives, they have no reason to be happy. You might worry about their state of mind if they weren't miserable. I suppose the same sort of thinking can be applied to those who put their own safety at risk, to save others. Are they mad? But it's probably best not to go there ........ :roll:

Incidentally, the therapy might work very well on the illness (like surgery) but, with medicine and psychiatry, the person to which the illness is attached gets in the way. :omfg:

Latest Threads