beeswaxed boots

Discussion in 'REME' started by davey, Nov 9, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know where i can get my boots proffesionally beeswaxed so that i don't have to put the effort in bulling my boots every year for rememberance parades, thanks :roll:

2. Davey,

I purchased via Soldier mag a few years back, a tin of paint sold by an American company, made for painting boots. I painted my DMS every day for around a month, and honest, they were perfect ! Cheating I know, but they were perfect !! Well worth the money I spent. And the finish is permanent. I managed to sell the boots on at profit because they were so good.

3. msr

msr LE

GH,

Do you have any more info about this?

Cheers,
    msr

4. Painting, sacrilege!!!!

Although, if you know any crabs, see if they can get hold of Tornado nose cone paint. Brilliant stuff, even if it rains. You could do a CFT in your crunchie boots and they will still be 'Trooping the Colour' standard. About the only decent thing on a Tonka!

On the real bulling side of life, if you live in a large Garrison, have a word with the tailor/cobbler (Sennelager still has a cobbler and will do yer boots for you), they usually know the right types who will.
    Where I am, the MGS (ex service gate guard types) will do them for the right price.

I, however spent the weekend with a tin of kiwi (black and brown) and a silvermans cloth doing it the old fashioned way. Very therapeutic. Just remember to water bull them with a dob of cotton wool afterwards to get that deep Pirbright shine.

5. you lot really should get out more....

I bet the long winter nights just fly by... etc etc

but then i am reading this ... so am not much better....

i did see a funny thing in Newcastle on Remb day... the TA wearing CB 95 with medals..... what the fcuk is that about ???

6. There's nothing wrong with bulling boots, but whats the point when all that hard work is wrecked in a matter of moments?

Msr, the paint used to be advertised in Soldier Mag, and was in a small green tin. I can't remember the name, but the advert showed the small green tin. Excellent stuff, dried to a shiney, flexable finish. I wore the boots on my cadre with drill every day for five weeks and all I had to do was give them a quick shine with Mr Sheen every morning !! I had the last laugh when the rest of the lads were on 10pm show parade !! Four years later the Regt had a freedom of the town parade which consisted of two weeks of practise runs before hand. All I had to do was pull them out of the cupboard and give them a quick dust off, and away I went !! Chuffed to mess tins !!

7. Paint them with Hammerite and finish them off by smearing a healthy helping of turpentine all over them, apply liberally with a toffee hammer

8. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why don't you just put them outside your door last thing at night for your man to do them?

9. Amazing. I was told by an old and bold that Kiwi black and then finish off with a few layers of Kiwi Oxblood gave a glitter that would satisfy the most critical. :D

Edited for gramatical errors (and spelling of cors)

10. Klear and black ink. Works everytime .

11. GH, it was called Leather Luster (American spelling)

Not seen it for a while but the wonders of Google and . . . . www.leatherluster.com

12. I just bribe my little brother to do mine. Cigarettes and alcohol work everytime!

13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

See the TA thread - there has been much discussion about this. Large numbers of TA now have medals, and very, very few have No.2 Dress. Therefore, the only chance to wear them is on CS95. May look scrufy, but it's all we've got.

As to Boots, whatever happened to Morello - wonderful stuff.

14. Re paint Morello is the German one and its not paint as such it officially is cobblers (no jokes) polis and is really liquid polish bloody good though and cant be told from real, if you scrape it you will have flakes of polish, can be bought on that well known auction site

15. Jesus !!! Is that stuff still around. Remember using it in the mid 80s & can vouch for it being good stuff. Got me through my jnco carde without a hitch. Saves loads of time for other things like drinking Herfy & playing cards !!!!

Regards LT.