Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by faggats-and-gravy, Feb 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. had some happy hours in those sangers rip
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Pictures of the demolishment?
  3. Good, it was a shitehole. Spent many months moniging it in there!
  4. ..Served there in 1998, with the Marines, not a bad tour, one of the chefs attached to us keeled over and died of a heart defect..(Not his Cooking)
    Apart from that the Booties, were a good bunch, but slightly put off with there shower antics and trying to get 25 guys in the sauna complete with bin liners to do some fizz..Mentalists... :headbang:
  5. Did my first NI tour at Castle Greyskull. Horrible, horrible place, but we of the ATO persuasion lived in the lap of luxury compared to most in the mill. And I shudder at the very thought of the poor sods down at XMG. Only visited there when the neighbours mortared it.
  6. Aah XMG with the submarine accommodation 18 men each side in tiers of three bunks in each room! And the Int Cell outside in a ten man caravan!

Bessbrook had a huge dining room mural done in 1979 by Yonk our battalion cartoonist; massive battle scenes and so on. We heard the Welsh Guards painted it over as they were embarrassed by their lack of regimental history (at the time pre Falklands etc) compared to ours!

The busiest heliport in the world as well.
  7. Are they taking the mill down or is it just the base fortifications which are going?
  8. [​IMG]

A dump.
  9. F'in ell... That's bloody klever of the publikans... they trid and tried an' then got us to do it!

Hi SRBQC... do I know you?
  10. Experienced the same in Crossmaglen. Only the fcuking lunatics there did Phyz naked apart from a smearing of Vics Vaporub over the entire body.

11. I was there just after the booties in 99 with the Royal Jocks, first tour and was ok apart none of the jocks would talk to any of our lads as we wern't Scotish. I'm quite glad that they didn't in the end!
  12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Was there in '95. Had a run in with some beer, the dog section who dossed near the back gate and 1RS RSM shouting from the windows I'm coming to arrest you f**kers. Bomb burst before he can grab us leaving just an unfortunate RMP lad too leathered to run (hehe) then pass said RSM 5 minutes later in just a towel as if on way to showers in a Great Escape stylee. Didn't suspect a thing.
  13. IIRC, The Mill actually belongs to some civvie who has leased it to the MoD for a tidy sum since it was taken over... So I suspect that it aint gonna be demolished by MoD. Its probably a listed building, FFS!
  14. I don't know if it actually belonged to anyone, although it wouldn't surprise me. In my opinion it will be listed however as the entire village is a conservation area and it has some very wonderful quirky by-laws which were written when it was founded by a Scottish Quaker.

Notably, it was always known as the village without the three "P's".

No pubs
    No police stations
    No pawn shops

There is a statute preventing the opening of any of those three, that's why the nearest pub (The Pit) was over a mile away outside the village boundaries.

It's strange in a way too because without the troubles the mill may have been demolished years ago as an eyesore, and that's not the only building to be saved in this manner. My guess is that it'll either be turned into industrial/office units, or some bright spark will have the idea of turning it into a heritage centre like New Lanark.