Beer/Tab Run

Discussion in 'Travel' started by oldnbald, Oct 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Considering the exchange rate at the moment, is it still worth a run to belguim/france for the "cheap tabs and beer". If so where's the cheapest, not NAAFI thou. Cheers

2. Bumpity Bump

Fellow ARRSERs, elderly mother wants to go to euroland to spend her meagre pension on ill gotten fags without paying Cyclops through the nose for the privilege. Any suggestions on deals / cheapest countries??

and no ... Telling her to pack in and its a filthy habit doesn't work.

JB

3. Luxenborg or failing that Belgium

4. i am returning soon from germany, can i assist?

5. Bipolar what is your end locstat in UK, as unfortunately she is in SW Scotlandshire, which may be a tad out of your way.

But the offer is greatly appreciated :)

PM me if you can think of a doable fix.

JB

6. Pointless going to France for the cigarettes as the average price is now €5.30 a pack or over £5.00. You can get the cheaper brands in UK for that. Belgium is €4.00 a pack for UK brands so you can save there. Excise duty on booze went up 23% in January in France but this still means whisky, gin etc still about 30% less than UK and wine still very cheap. With all the deals on at British supermarkets (Guinness at about 60p a can in Morrisons, Carlsberg less than 50p a can) bit pointless doing the beer bit. Yes, there are cheapo French lagers at around 30p a bottle but you can get these for around the same price in Aldi and Lidl as well.
    Best value now is Spain (I know, long way to go for a day trip but you can get cheap weekend deals on flights) with cigarettes around £3 a pack or as little as £2 for JPS/Sovereign etc. (gone up a bit in the last couple of years), spirits around £6 a litre (more for the good brands but around 30% less than UK) and wine sold in Tescos at £5 can be bought for less than 2 euros. Only problem is the cost of sticking a suitcase on the flight will probably wipe out the savings.
    So Luxembourg or Belgium are your best bets especially for rolling tobacco (be careful as Belgium and Luxembourg sell rolling tobacco in 50g packs whereas France it is 40g).

7. So Luxembourg or Belgium are your best bets especially for rolling tobacco (be careful as Belgium and Luxembourg sell rolling tobacco in 50g packs whereas France it is 40g).[/quote]

thank god I was right

8. Thanks Guys

Although she lives in SW Scotlandshire which makes a day trip impractical, she is not adverse to buggering off for a cheapo week in the sun somewhere like Spain ... anywhere... as long as she can get her 3000 fags and stick one up at Cyclops.

So it really is the case of where are they cheapest.... If there is added sun (and Gin) so much the better :) (She continues to grow old disgracefully :D :D )

Many thanks onlydoingthreeyears and exbleep for your sterling research.

JB

9. in that case its got to be a non euro country, turkey will probably be your best bet

10. Try Bilbao, boat trip from Portsmouth to Bilbao, 4 day cruise,only 9 hrs on land though, but the boats have loads to do.

11. Only problem with non EU is customs limits, I think its still restricted to 200 Tax Free whereas in the EU its 3000 plus Tax Paid.

JB