Beer choice indicates England is screwed.

PS-- I'm not suggesting DD and Red Barrel was a decent English beer !!!

Try their Atlantic. I think you might like it as it's hoppy and refreshing.
Buy Sharp's Atlantic Pale Ale | Sharp's Brewery
Molson Coors own them and Carling for example. Ales are a miniscule part of their extensive "beer" portfolio.
Brands | Molson Coors

As to citrusy hops from across the pond, all these imported hops have affected the UK hop industry. I can appreciate some of it but I like British hops best.

I worked in Kent picking hops Autumn ‘86 as a teen. We got paid 1/2 beer 1/2 cash. Fantastic few weeks.
Fuggles.

Too late mate- my ex practically lived in her Carrhart's range coat from Sheplers, after we did Mousetown in 2003.
As you will have noticed Carrharts is no longer honest durable workwear but a high fashion statement of some kind. They have a shop in Covent Garden (shudder) .

And my first pair of jeans were Wranglers from Milletts , aged about ten. So, previous century then... :roll: :eatsgun:

Same with Cape Union Mart. Used to be quality kit for seafarers until they got clever and began catering to the weekend outdoor hero. Can't get decent Noggie oiled wool socks there any more but they're full to the brim with GPS and designer bush kit for the trendy posers in their Sandton Pavement Crushers who can't read a map.

Fuggles and Goldings are excellent hops. Problem with the fruity ones is that no one has really figured out what to do with them so they're getting into places they don't belong, like beer. They could be a good addition in small quantities to the summer beers but folks in these parts tend to get a bit over excited and fuck it all up by over hopping.

PS-- I'm not suggesting DD and Red Barrel was a decent English beer !!!
How about "Whitbread, big head, Trophy bitter, the pint that thinks its a quart."?
Or, that beer we bought simply because it had a girls in a bikinis on the tin?

Last edited:
Overrated IMO. Much better beers available. You're buying a trendy name for way more than it's worth.
I like the beer itself (tho I am no expert), but yes, the price could be a bit lower for sure. You're paying for their marketing doo dah. It's a very "Shoreditch-y" type of beer. I usually get it on offer at Asda.

Bud succeeded Carlsburg because they paid more in sponsorship, otherwise, Newcastle Brown would be the England Teams official beer.

(no idea if the Newcastle Brown bit is true, but I tossed it in there, anyway)

Easy don't go in pubs that use them, it's not like they're a common sight

Never seen them in a pub in the UK, I guess it's those hipster places that have them
Excuse me, but my little umbrella looks out of place in a pint pot.

Would you damn America Walts stop appropriating my culture! Next up your Hipsters are going to think PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) is cool. Then you people start playing real football and wearing Wranglers, Carhartt, and ball caps everywhere you go. Then you will start to call yourselves rednecks. The horror, why can’t you just stick to being Brits!
C'mon! Catch up! PBR is going out of fashion as well.

PBR is turbo piss.

That said it got me through college - a 24 pack from the gas station was about $12. Which in those days was £7 ish.

Cheaper than drinking waters
For me it was Natty Ice/ Light. Great for beer pong games and shit. Was cheap as hell. PBR was already starting to be trendy so was getting to me more expensive.

Ahhh...them days.

Fuggles and Goldings are excellent hops. Problem with the fruity ones is that no one has really figured out what to do with them so they're getting into places they don't belong, like beer. They could be a good addition in small quantities to the summer beers but folks in these parts tend to get a bit over excited and fuck it all up by over hopping.

I used to brew my own.

I used shop bought kits but my own hops.

They grew wild in the hedges (this was in the Soar Valley near Loughborough) and I just chucked a handful in green; I dried them too, in the chimney, big bunches in September which I then kept in old pillow cases not having any hop sacks (isn’t there a proper word for hop sacks?).

Yum.

Oddly, it's only over here in UK that Lidl is regarded as downmarket.....in Germany it's akin to M&S.
Not really, it's just another Discounter. Lidls image took something of a battering a few years ago with 2 scandals, one of which appears to be ongoing. The first concerned video spying on employees, an absolute no no unless there is firm evidence that they are fiddling the books or stealing. The second concerned Lidl management and their built in aversion to works councils and trade unions.
In reality Lidl is just competition for Aldi, along with Netto and Penny.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm a Jock-------- but can't stand "Heavy"--- much prefer a decent English bitter.
Er...none of which are pictured. The 1970s, when I did my own drinking apprenticeship , was a spectacularly dire time for beer.

I grew up about six miles from St Albans, which at the time had 32 pubs. Which is why the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) was born there.

Trouble is Real Ale became the favoured tipple of bearded sandal-wearing Morris Dancing ex hippies who couldn't afford grass.

Watneys Red Barrel is why fackin' Norveners like PCSupa still persist in their quaint tribal superstition that the only beer worth drinking is brewed North of the Custard Line*.

Ind Coope , Courage and McMullens ran Watneys a close second in the awfullness stakes.

The only lager available was Skol on draught or Harp. Either of which could give American gnats-píss a damn good run for the Un-beer prize. :roll:

I switched to either mild or bitter then abouts both of which were fairly innocuous if vile. 12p a pint thobut :)

Beer and pubs are much better now than in the Gary Glitter,Slade , T-Rex era (apart from this weird fetish landlords seem to have developed about letting feral children roam free)

* Kenny Everett noted that Norf of a certain line in UK, you get custard with everything, whether you like it or not. His autobigraphy was called ' The Custard stops at Hatfield'
Not sure if he meant the one in Hertfordshire or the one outside sunny Doncaster. Personally for me the Custard Line extends diagonally across UK roughly from King's Lynn to Bristol. For some people the Norf begins at Croydon.....

Last edited:
Uggs were originally for poor people. Now they're over a hundred quid a throw. Same as Doc Martins and those horrendous red Nike trainers costing a weeks wages. Give me a pair of pumps any time.
And on the beer front Doom Bar was a good pint when brewed in Cornwall, but now Northampton got it's mitts on it and buggered it up. :cool:

I wondered what had happened to Doombar. Heathen bast@rds!