Beer after sport is good for the body!

oldbaldy

LE
A beer after playing a game of football, a long run, or a strenuous round of golf can be good for the body, scientists say.

In a rare piece of good news for those who like a pint, Spanish researchers say beer can help someone who is dehydrated retain liquid better than water.

Prof Manuel Garzon, of Granada University, also claimed the bubbles in beer help to quench the thirst and that its carbohydrate content can help to replace lost calories.

Prof Garzon asked a group of students to do strenuous exercise in temperatures of around 40ºC (104ºF). Half were given a pint of beer, while the others received the same volume of water.

Prof Garzon, who announced the results at a press conference in Granada beneath a banner declaring "Beer, Sport, Health", said the hydration effect in those who drank beer was "slightly better".

Juan Antonio Corbalan, a cardiologist who worked formerly with Real Madrid football players and Spain's national basketball team, said beer had the perfect profile for re-hydration after sport.

He added that he had long recommended barley drinks to professional sportsmen after exercise.

Previous studies have shown most alcoholic drinks have a diuretic effect – meaning they increase the amount of liquid lost by the body through urination.

Dr James Betts, an expert on nutrition and metabolism at Bath University, said a moderate amount of beer might be just as good as water at helping the body retain liquid, but that he doubted it could be any better.

Dr Betts said: "If you are dehydrated to start with following exercise, a beer, as opposed to a spirit, probably does not have a high enough concentration of alcohol to induce a diuretic effect."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/11/01/scibeer101.xml

I knew I was doing it right!

T

the_mentalist

Beer is great, not only does it taste good, but it is also good for you.

You really can't go wrong!! :D

I worked with a guy who played for Man City in the days when players got the local bus to the gound, and an oppo of his told me that a couple of pints before the match was not uncommon.

Is it OK to have a quick sniffter at half time aswell.

I used to go circuit training at the local sports centre, afterwards we would go to the bar where the other lads would order soft drinks like squash or a 'henry'. I always went for 2 pints of Guinness and left the establishment in a far better mood than the others. It must be true

Damn... didn't read the whole article before covering myself in beer :oops:

I remember playing for the local pub team years ago, its a good job that it is now official that beer after a match is good for you cos we used to get sloshed as soon as the final whistle blew.

T

the_mentalist

I am opening my first bottle of wife beater of the evening, safe in the knowledge that after my arduous 1 minute walk home from work, beer is officially good for me!

So cheers fellow arrse folk! Bottoms up and all that!
:whew:

Is the sport bit beforehand absolutely necessary? I mean, are you allowed to cut that bit out or would that defeat the object?

brewmeister said:
Is the sport bit beforehand absolutely necessary? I mean, are you allowed to cut that bit out or would that defeat the object?
Not at all, it could be called Sportwex - Sport Without Exercise :D

762baynet said:
I used to go circuit training at the local sports centre, afterwards we would go to the bar where the other lads would order soft drinks like squash or a 'henry'. I always went for 2 pints of Guinness and left the establishment in a far better mood than the others. It must be true
I concur with my learned friend however i have found that necking 8 pints of
Guinness prior to CFT is not a very good idea :oops:

3milesniper said:
762baynet said:
True,it can add up to thirty seconds to your time, but paradoxically has not effect whatsoever on BFT (PFT) timings, all sub 10:00

still21inmymind said:
3milesniper said:
762baynet said:
True,it can add up to thirty seconds to your time, but paradoxically has not effect whatsoever on BFT (PFT) timings, all sub 10:00[/quote]

Fcuk me still21, 30 secs on after 8 pints,

Remedial drinking required my friend :D :D

[quote="heidthebaw]
Fcuk me still21, 30 secs on after 8 pints,

Remedial drinking required my friend :D :D[/quote]
Only in my mind mate, only in my mind. The only way now I could cover the distance in under 10:00 is if the crew decide blue lights and two tones are called for.

Mate, touching 34 and still doing 8ish.

There is however, a rubber type thing forming around my waist...... :roll:

heidtheba said:
Mate, touching 34 and still doing 8ish.

There is however, a rubber type thing forming around my waist...... :roll:
20 years since I last ran a BFT, gut like a lifepreserver. :D

the_mentalist said:
still21inmymind said:
20 years since I last ran a BFT, gut like a lifepreserver. :D
Nothing to do with beer though eh? :D
No mate, just a fat knacker in the making. The fecking Pope drinks more than me these days. :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke The Intelligence Cell 15
PLOD Aviation 14
Davros_the_Dalek Int Corps 9