Been Really Impressed (Or Not) By Something You Own?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
For car vehicle cleaning stuff, I can thoroughly recommend main dealers, as both our BM and Merc dealers are owned by the same people I can't fault them.

Theres a thing by Rohan, a Dale jacket, waist length lightly padded. Goes under jackets , over fleeces worn on its own. Lightweight, wind proof it's an extra layer which makes all the difference and folds into nothing.
Bought it years ago, it's done winters in Central Europe.
Extremely practical jacket

edit, scratch that. Dale jackets been discontinued

For car vehicle cleaning stuff, I can thoroughly recommend main dealers, as both our BM and Merc dealers are owned by the same people I can't fault them.

Theres a thing by Rohan, a Dale jacket, waist length lightly padded. Goes under jackets , over fleeces worn on its own. Lightweight, wind proof it's an extra layer which makes all the difference and folds into nothing.

Posh Chairman mao/Chinese fighting jacket

Last edited:

Rohan - great kit, but used to be eyewateringly expensive and therefore mostly suited to the well off OAP on an active saga holiday who didn't want to be seen in millets or blacks

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Rohan - great kit, but used to be eyewateringly expensive and therefore mostly suited to the well off OAP on an active saga holiday who didn't want to be seen in millets or blacks
Active saga holiday. You lost me at active and saga. But great kit, I plunder the sales.

Edit then there’s the French army fleece. Not allowed out in polite or urban company, all the fit and style of a duffle coat. If I ever decide to embrace sleeping in the street
It’s coming with me.

Snakehive phone cases. Had two now, very solidly built, do exactly what you want them to do and also very attractively designed with real leather sourced from a cow rather than a Chinese sweat shop. Not cheap but will last longer than the phone.

So true. If you fired a cannon down the high street in Keswick this morning you couldn’t fail to hit about 10 old codgers attired just as you describe.
( and another thing, attired so are they only allowed to buy silver honda’s or Skoda yetis, because that is all they appear to drive , at no more than 40 mph,
EVER.)

Snakehive phone cases. Had two now, very solidly built, do exactly what you want them to do and also very attractively designed with real leather sourced from a cow rather than a Chinese sweat shop. Not cheap but will last longer than the phone.
Griffin phone cases for iPhone and iPad.
Black rubber outer and tough as f#ck. phone bounced off concrete floors into double figures now and iPad lobbed out of window of ( non moving ) car by child 3 with no damage.
Only negative for the phone one is the rubber is getting slightly “ grippy” after 6 years and is a bit of a twat to get out of a tightish trouser pocket in a hurry without bringing the rest of the pockets contents out with it.
Highly rate though

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Armour dog for iPads otter box for the phones. The cases end up looking like plague carriers, but the kit survives beautifully. The other good thing is that the phone looks like a four year old kids brick, therefore not hip and happening or worthy of a second look.
HJ Hall bamboo socks

If we are on about iPhone protection I carry a 6s plus and life proof cases have kept it immaculate inside. I’ve had to change the case once during the lifetime of the phone, but that’s because it had taken so much damage despite the phone being pristine when taken out.

Waterproof too, although I bag it anyways

BOMBPROOF

Barbour waxed cotton coat, bought 2nd hand about 15 years ago. Re-waxed twice, patched a few times, a zip replaced, and the last time I sent it in for repair Barbour put leather cuffs on it. Worn in mountain, moor or city.

Alpkit long length down coat. Light as a feather, compresses down to next to nothing. Has been worn as a sleeping bag with arms when I've had to sleep in the car.

Chris King headsets on my road and mountain bikes. One is 10 years old, the other 11 and still feel like new, no play or grinding.
20 year old pair of Sperry Topsider deck shoes,

Altberg Clubman Roadster motorcycle boots. Now 13 years old and possibly in need of new soles but still going strong and still waterproof. Comfy as fcuk.

Halverson laminated riding suit, Luxor top and Wish trousers (pants are what Superman wears outside his trousers). Best motorcycle romper suit I have ever owned and at £900.00 inexpensive.

2002 Kona mountain bike. Changed everything on it since then except the seatpost. Every time I ride it it brings a smile to my face.
Ditto road bike I built from the ground up, bought the frame on ebay then all new bits. Fits like a glove.

Therm a rest sleeping mat.

Bought in 1992 for a two month exped canoeing down the Zambezi. To sleep on , not as a canoe :)

Still going strong.

RAB Goose down sleeping bag, weighs about a pound. 1995 .
Still going strong.

Just used both in the UK when it was 4 degrees.

In context at home on the same day it was 27 degrees so I was freezing, even went into a local,charity shop to buy a woolly hat.

Still not found a norrona recon......

I’ve just sent my ridgeline monsoon elite 11 and Lowa Hunter GTX evo extreme to

Lancashire sports repairs

Getting them to evaluate the possibility of pit zips in the ridgeline which really holds the heat and to fully refurb my lowa (best boots i’ve Ever owned)

They are getting resoled and mid sole replaced

Lowa’s have been thrashed into the ground, four seasons, cold weather projects and daily littoral abuse which shows they have an unnatural ability to withstand saline environments

Communications with LSR so far has been excellent, will report back in a month when it all arrives back (they do two day turn around but i’m Away for a month)
I'm somewhere near Northern Norway. weather is so shit my solar power G-Shock has killed itself. However Lancashire sports repair continue with excellent communications.

It appears that they are so busy that parcels arriving get opened the next week. Not a problem, especially when the tell you about it.

Once my parcel got opened they were on the email, explaining my boots didn't require XYZ so save money and just have ABC done. Bit of email table tennis over the llocations of my pit zips including annoted photos

All work agreed and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to my gear

Golden rule of customer service, good communication. LSR are 10/10 so far. Hoping the fact they are busy is an indicator of their quality of workmanship and repeat custom:salut::salut:

Latest Threads