Been out 11 years - what changes should I expect in kit and weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Shandy123, Jul 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    I am ex TA infantry, getting in shape to go back in (RLC) after an 11 year break. I imagine I will have to go through recruit process from scratch and I want to hit the ground running. I am getting into shape now, but on the kit side, I reckon I'm out of touch.
    In order to be effective and efficient in the field I recall that having the right kit and knowing how to use/carry it was very important. I also don't want to turn up and pull some kit out which makes the young-uns look at me like I'm putting a pith helmet on.
    Watching the news etc, I see guys now with all kinds of kit we never even heard of, so - if I list here the kit I used to use, can you let me know if it is still in service, has been modified significantly, replaced by something else, etc...

Weapons I came across

Rifle 5.56 & LSW - I notice the cocking handle is different now - why? any other changes?
    GPMG light role and SF
    51mm Mortar, with HE and Smoke
    LAW 94
    LAW 66
    Grenade, Fragmentation
    Grenade, signal (Smoke)
    the 7.62 sniper rifle (used it once!)
    9mm Browning

Harbour Area stuff

Sleeping Mat - the roll-up one with OG cotton ties,
    Sleeping bag (not 58 pattern by the time I left - 'new issue' synthetic one, with pockets inside)
    Poncho OG (for a basha - we bought our own DPM bashas, had to buy those thin, long bungees too)
    Full PLCE webbing and bergan, DPM + respirator, S10 and bag
    Bivvi Bag, OG
    Mess tins x2
    58 pattern water bottle and mug
    Boil in bag rat packs
    Hexi stoves (most used own gas stove)

Clothing Issue

2x s95 combat jacket
    2xCombats (I think lightweights were phased out)
    shirts GS x 2
    shirt field (norgy) x 1
    long johns and jockey shirt (thermals)
    Jersey Heavy Wool ( I still have this :))
    2 x boots combat high (I think I may have been issued boots, assault towards the end)
    2 x socks
    1 x weird balaclava, hat cap comforter thingy
    1 x woolley gloves
    NBC suit, OG (trousers, smock, white cotton gloves, black ruber gloves, black rubber overboots.
    Helmet (plus cover 2 sizes too small)
    Sausage bag

TLA's, etc...

NBC, the four Bs
    Section Battle drills - same? (Reaction to effective en fire, locate the en, attack, (approach, assault, reorg) etc...)
    has BATCO gone?
    349s, 351s, 352s?
    throat mikes and ear phones?

Radio procedure and names the same? Callsigns same org (eg: C10a still means same thing (would that be an Opsec issue to break down the meaning)

That's all I can remember for now.
  2. The forward assist is new and the the heimlich maneuver is out (this week), that is all.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've been out a while as well, but come into contact via civvi job - so bits I know.

The SA80 is now the A2 varient - slightly different drills, slightly different build.
    Comms are now Bowman - so no more 349/352 etc, majority of comms stuff is different.
    Lots of the acronyms have changed - or at least had when I came across them in 2004/5 after leaving in 2001.
    The C95 is being phased out for the new fancy 'multicam stuff' but probably not hit the TA yet.
    51mm mortar is probably gone - limited supply of ammo and MOD closed down the production plant.
    AGL - grenade launcher is new.
    Probably a number of new/different personal weapons which i can't remember the name of.
    Think the old SUSAT is gone and they use the ACOG sight from the US now.

That's what i can remember - someone will probably tell me I'm out of date or wrong, but it's a start for you.

4. susat out? mind you - do support arms get optical sight now? They all had Iron sights when I was in.
    What does ACOG stand for?

Forward assist as a stoppage drill? Or every time you make ready?
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They let gays in now.

That's about it.
  6. Do they really?
    I don't have a problem with it - I'm just surprised, that's all.
  7. Beat me to it, you also can't call a spade a spade.
  8. Sympathetic_Reaction

The SUSAT has gone on ops, or had last i heard, might still be around for training and whether support have it I'm not sure.

Forward assist is/was/might be all the time during drills. I had an arguement as to when it came in, but supposedly it was mid 90's but I didn't see it till early 2001.

9. mate go get a life and stop worrying about fecking call signs and hexi stoves!

im sure once you get to the new job you will get taught all you need to know
  10. Sympathetic_Reaction

Is it still an 'entrenching tool'?

11. Take your pick.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. ACOG has gone, also. On Ops DCC and combat patrol support troops are issued with the ELCAN.
    SUSAT is planned to be phased out for all, I believe ELCAN with replace SUSAT and the iron sight is still being looked at.
  13. Don't be so racist!
  14. Weren't you in the Navy? Just asking is all....:)
  15. HHH

HHH LE

The PT will be harder
    The food will just be 11 years older
    The Pltn Comd's will look like babies
    The hurry up & wait will still be the same
    The PC culture will mean you can't speak, without doing a risk assessment of the outcome
    The bus of nurses still hasn't arrived
    • Like Like x 3