• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Been out 11 years - what changes should I expect in kit and weapons?

Hello all,
I am ex TA infantry, getting in shape to go back in (RLC) after an 11 year break. I imagine I will have to go through recruit process from scratch and I want to hit the ground running. I am getting into shape now, but on the kit side, I reckon I'm out of touch.
In order to be effective and efficient in the field I recall that having the right kit and knowing how to use/carry it was very important. I also don't want to turn up and pull some kit out which makes the young-uns look at me like I'm putting a pith helmet on.
Watching the news etc, I see guys now with all kinds of kit we never even heard of, so - if I list here the kit I used to use, can you let me know if it is still in service, has been modified significantly, replaced by something else, etc...

Weapons I came across

Rifle 5.56 & LSW - I notice the cocking handle is different now - why? any other changes?
Bayonet
GPMG light role and SF
51mm Mortar, with HE and Smoke
LAW 94
LAW 66
Grenade, Fragmentation
Grenade, signal (Smoke)
Miniflares
Schermulys
the 7.62 sniper rifle (used it once!)
9mm Browning

Harbour Area stuff

Sleeping Mat - the roll-up one with OG cotton ties,
Sleeping bag (not 58 pattern by the time I left - 'new issue' synthetic one, with pockets inside)
Poncho OG (for a basha - we bought our own DPM bashas, had to buy those thin, long bungees too)
Full PLCE webbing and bergan, DPM + respirator, S10 and bag
Bivvi Bag, OG
Mess tins x2
58 pattern water bottle and mug
Boil in bag rat packs
Hexi stoves (most used own gas stove)

Clothing Issue

2x s95 combat jacket
2xCombats (I think lightweights were phased out)
shirts GS x 2
shirt field (norgy) x 1
long johns and jockey shirt (thermals)
Jersey Heavy Wool ( I still have this :))
2 x boots combat high (I think I may have been issued boots, assault towards the end)
2 x socks
1 x weird balaclava, hat cap comforter thingy
1 x woolley gloves
NBC suit, OG (trousers, smock, white cotton gloves, black ruber gloves, black rubber overboots.
Helmet (plus cover 2 sizes too small)
Sausage bag
KFS

TLA's, etc...

CEFO, CEMO
BFT, ICFT, APFT
NBC, the four Bs
PAWPERSO, GRIT, CLAP and POONHA!
Section Battle drills - same? (Reaction to effective en fire, locate the en, attack, (approach, assault, reorg) etc...)
FEBA, ERV, RV, FRV
has BATCO gone?
349s, 351s, 352s?
throat mikes and ear phones?

Radio procedure and names the same? Callsigns same org (eg: C10a still means same thing (would that be an Opsec issue to break down the meaning)

That's all I can remember for now.
Thanks

I've been out a while as well, but come into contact via civvi job - so bits I know.

The SA80 is now the A2 varient - slightly different drills, slightly different build.
Comms are now Bowman - so no more 349/352 etc, majority of comms stuff is different.
Lots of the acronyms have changed - or at least had when I came across them in 2004/5 after leaving in 2001.
The C95 is being phased out for the new fancy 'multicam stuff' but probably not hit the TA yet.
51mm mortar is probably gone - limited supply of ammo and MOD closed down the production plant.
AGL - grenade launcher is new.
Probably a number of new/different personal weapons which i can't remember the name of.
Think the old SUSAT is gone and they use the ACOG sight from the US now.

That's what i can remember - someone will probably tell me I'm out of date or wrong, but it's a start for you.

S_R

susat out? mind you - do support arms get optical sight now? They all had Iron sights when I was in.
What does ACOG stand for?

Forward assist as a stoppage drill? Or every time you make ready?

susat out? mind you - do support arms get optical sight now? They all had Iron sights when I was in.
What does ACOG stand for?

Forward assist as a stoppage drill? Or every time you make ready?
The SUSAT has gone on ops, or had last i heard, might still be around for training and whether support have it I'm not sure.

Forward assist is/was/might be all the time during drills. I had an arguement as to when it came in, but supposedly it was mid 90's but I didn't see it till early 2001.

S_R

mate go get a life and stop worrying about fecking call signs and hexi stoves!

im sure once you get to the new job you will get taught all you need to know

ACOG has gone, also. On Ops DCC and combat patrol support troops are issued with the ELCAN.
SUSAT is planned to be phased out for all, I believe ELCAN with replace SUSAT and the iron sight is still being looked at.

The PT will be harder
The food will just be 11 years older
The Pltn Comd's will look like babies
The hurry up & wait will still be the same
The PC culture will mean you can't speak, without doing a risk assessment of the outcome
The bus of nurses still hasn't arrived

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Shandy - good luck.

I think you might get a better response in either the Infanteer forum or Just TA......given that 16,000 reservists deployed on ops for Telic alone , there a re quite a few of your former colleagues out there who have walked the walk......

on the weapons side of life,

>the cocking handle on the A2 was changed as part of the H&K rebuild which was about reducing stoppages. AFAIK, the Weapon Handling Test still requires a Forward Assist
>The Browning 9mm has ( almost entirely?) been replaced by a Sig pistol
> the LSW of your day has (almost entirely) been replaced by Minimi ....or whatever the current designation is
> GPMG still in use
> 'new' vehicle -mounted weapons GMG and ( since your day) the John Wayne era .50cal - though I misdoubt a Sustainer will be given much of a chance to use either
> the 51mm is still in service - and Grantham were still teaching it as part of the MPC'A' cadre in 2005

I'm assuming that you are set to do the two Basic weekends at Grantham - seems a bit daft given former TA service but hey......as per poster above, once you are with your Unit they will quickly get you up to speed on RLC basics and if you are looking to deploy you will get an OPTAG package plus RSOI in theatre before you take on the world :)

Have a blast feller - enjoy your soldiering

Shandy - good luck.

I'm assuming that you are set to do the two Basic weekends at Grantham - seems a bit daft given former TA service but hey......as per poster above, once you are with your Unit they will quickly get you up to speed on RLC basics and if you are looking to deploy you will get an OPTAG package plus RSOI in theatre before you take on the world :)

Have a blast feller - enjoy your soldiering
Thanks - good reply.
I haven't even put the form back in yet, or done any sort of selection - have you ever heard of anyone getting a 'bye' for recruit training with previous service - it would let me get on with trade training quicker.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
have you ever heard of anyone getting a 'bye' for recruit training with previous service - it would let me get on with trade training quicker.
Yeah - uh, me......which probably accounts for why I was such a shit soldier :)

If the trade you are aiming to go for is a pinch-point then you might blag it ...RLCTA HQ may go with the flow and get you down for a B3 course quicker...dunno....I expect lots has changed since I left. Try phoning them .

Latest Threads