Been deferred from joining for 3 years, damn it

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jonny5isalive, Jun 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, can anyone help? I applied to join last year but was deferred on medical grounds. Does anyone know if there is usually any possibility of the Army reducing the term? I can go into further detail.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks, JP

2. I think you can appeal (although I might be wrong) - how's that for the vaguest possible answer? ;)

Did they not say anything to you about having an appeal when they deferred you?

3. Well, they will have had their reasons...

4. I wrote back to the Senior MO in Glencorse and tried to explain the position, but still no joy. Just came as a bit of a dissapointment, as you can understand and seemed a bit harsh in my circumstances. It was all about some pills I was prescribed, of which I only took about 3 weeks supply. The letter I received back explained that new recruits must be physically and mentally fit, etc, etc.

Which I suppose is fair enough. 3 years seemed a bit excessive to me though. I'll be nearly 24 when I can reapply.

5. I take it you were taking some form of prozac due to an inbalance in you brain chemistry?

6. They were antidepressants. Fluoxetine I think is how you spell it. The very lowest dosage. It all came about as I was unemployed and have always had dead-end jobs since leaving school, so I went to the docs as I was feeling a bit low and these are what he prescribed. Wish I hadn't bloody bothered as they didn't seem to have any effect anyway. I was only taking 1 every other day.

As soon as I'd looked into a career in the Army I began feeling more positive. At last, not another dead-beat job. I have all my GCSE's at C's and above but have no real training in anything. So I thought things were going to change on the job front. Guess I'll be in crappy jobs for a further 2 years until I can reapply.

7. Join the TA in the mean time (may even get deployed) or go for a special constables position, the army like that and it might give you some strengths you can utilise in the armed forces. Are their any pcso vacancies in your area?

Navy and air force may be more lenient (I doubt it though)....sorry

8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

TA is def recommended. We have a guy who for medical reasons has been told he wont get in the regs. Nevertheless he has now deployed twice and served well. If you join your nearest TA infantry unit (or whatever corps you feel like), in three years you are almost certain to be deployed...

9. Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately I hit a brick wall with the TA also. I was told that they use the same medical proceedures as the Regs. Or words to that effect anyway. My local TA unit told me I could contact them 6 months before my deferral period was up, but not before.

As for trying the special constable route: I have a criminal record from a minor offense 18 months ago.

What are PCSO's?

10. Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately I hit a brick wall with the TA also. I was told that they use the same medical proceedures as the Regs. Or words to that effect anyway. My local TA unit told me I could contact them 6 months before my deferral period was up, but not before.

As for trying the special constable route: I have a criminal record from a minor offense 18 months ago.

What are PCSO's?

11. Police community support officers

Was the offence minor?

If so, then under the 1974 rehabilitation of offenders act you should be ok..... just try it and see what they say (spec constables don't get pay but they earn an allowance).

It'll get you off the streets..... and, as I said, will give you valuable experience! Where, geographically, are you if I may ask?

12. Ta will also think twice due to the prozac/ fluxetine its the same drug .Cant think why though it normally takes 6 weeks to work anyway so you did not even take it long enough to have any effect . Certainly apply to the ta normally try to fudge things like this if they possible can .Took prozac a few years ago nearly stoped me being deployed :evil: .

13. Thanks, I'll definately look into it.

I'm in North East England

14. Woody do you think it would work if I applied to the TA without telling them about the medical history first? Or do you think I should just wait and save myself the embarrassment? Don't want to waste their time or get poeples backs up.

15. Anyway, just want to thank all who have posted replies to me so far. Wasn't expecting a big response. It's a big help, cheers.