Bee Keeping

Just out of interest has anyone started keeping bees since the start of this thread ? if so tell us your story how you are getting on
I've started reading this thread, and about bees - although I've no intention of ever setting up a hive.

I will get a hive and some bees once we have the house of our own.
Will also get an orchard and mrs WB wants a sheep!?

looks like my bees will be poisoned this season as the government has decided that sugarbeet farmers can now use a insectoside previously banned by EU. Sad day for beekeepers who will probably lose alot of bees.

I would post a link if I knew how

looks like my bees will be poisoned this season as the government has decided that sugarbeet farmers can now use a insectoside previously banned by EU. Sad day for beekeepers who will probably lose alot of bees.
I don’t know if somebody said it on here or elsewhere, but farmers seem to complain about costs but continue to needlessly use insecticides

chrismcd

Old-Salt

I would post a link if I knew how
They are for seed dressings.

AFAIK bees very rarely forage in sugar beet - and it tends to be grown in darkest East Anglia.

What worries me is that it could be the thin end of the wedge of oilseed rape seed treatments. That could be a lot more dangerous.

Back along used to give farmers my 'phone number, and ask to be informed when he was going to spray with insecticides. Batten down the hatches on the day in question, job jobbed.

ETA in answer to @dontenn above.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mrs phantom has wanted to keep bees for ages. Her grandfather used to keep them in the garden (lived in London) before WW2.
She's knows someone who's a bit if an expert and will (once lockdown ends) be getting taught how to keep them.
I will be making mead from our own honey eventually!

chrismcd

Old-Salt
Mrs phantom has wanted to keep bees for ages. Her grandfather used to keep them in the garden (lived in London) before WW2.
She's knows someone who's a bit if an expert and will (once lockdown ends) be getting taught how to keep them.
Beekeeping has taken off again. Our local association course is fully booked and we are trying to work out what to do with the people we cannot fit into the course.

HE117

LE
1. Join your local BKA..! Worth it for advice and cheap sugar...
2. Mead is better the longer it is kept.. allegedly!

HE117

LE
Beekeeping has taken off again. Our local association course is fully booked and we are trying to work out what to do with the people we cannot fit into the course.
Run another course on a different day?

chrismcd

Old-Salt
Run another course on a different day?
We have only so many instructors. We are working on remote teaching and small, 'socially distanced' groups of students with an increased number of teachers for the practicals. But we are talking about over 30 students.
We have run two courses in the past, but it was not easy.
If I am honest, I am watching from a safe distance and working to make sure that all the beginners get the kit they need. For some reason the teachers are all mad keen on Hoffman frames!

Apparently town bees do fine.... due to a lack of crop spraying.

HE117

LE
Anyone see the bit about a bee farmer complaining that he could not import bees from Italy.. ? It got printed in the DT, although the piece has now disappeared. He has pre ordered loads of packages and full colonies without checking whether the import regs have changed (..they have!). He claimed that the bees would be "burned" if they were held up..

Some quite interesting comments.. the usual "save the bees" wailers, however a gratifying number of beeks pointing out that importing bee colonies is a really stupid idea, and the folk that keep doing it are not using best practice. Italy is being badly affected by small hive beetle, and we really do not want them here! Never forget that varroa came here on the backs of imported bees.

Only queens are allowed to be imported by DEFRA and about time too! We have some of the last surviving varroa free black bee colonies in the Hebrides. EU rules prevented us from stopping folk importing bees to these areas.

Just out of interest has anyone started keeping bees since the start of this thread ? if so tell us your story how you are getting on

After looking at stuff on youtube, finding the local bee keeping association's website

I looked on arrse & as always there's topic with knowledgeable people !

Covid pandemic screwed me over. I haven’t got the bottle to go out and just start off.

I did a course with the local beekeepers association via zoom and we met up this weekend for our first practical.

some people have gone out and bought all of the kit. I’ve said I’ll help out at the clubs apiary and attend some more open days this year and start next year as the season or whatever they call it for beekeeping has already started so a new hive is going to be slightly more difficult to start off this time of the year.

planning on starting in the next season though. That gives me 9 months to slowly acquire the gear and knowledge and go for it next year.

I have to say the 2 hours I spent in the training apiary was amazingly relaxing.

I was explaining to the old dear that my eldest is a spaz with autism and she said one of her grand kids is and they’ve found it amazing to do with him around.

planning on starting in the next season though. That gives me 9 months to slowly acquire the gear and knowledge and go for it next year.
The Thorne website www.thorne.co.uk has some "how to" youtube videos for assembling hive hardwear which are really helpful if you decide to buy kits, which are a cheaper option. Example:

jmb3296

War Hero
I have kept bees for 15 years on and off. At best I am a keeper of bees not a beekeeper. I completed an initial course at the start but didn’t get on with my local beekeeping association or rather the knob who ran it. Despite being very knowledgeable he is a knob and more than a touch “odd”.
My colony’s this year didn’t make it through a bad winter and I have a nucleus coming to restart me on Thursday.
Earlier this month I joined a newly established association in my area. A great bunch of people and I am learning a lot from them. I bought a queen and bees from them, I am obliged to initially keep it on the apiary and that is a good call and a great way to learn from peers.
I got a phone call from the assosciation this evening to go to a swarm and I now have it in my garden hive, hopefully it will take.
Early days but I am really enjoying the bees again.
The point of this post is, if you are interested in beekeeping I would commend you to find a local, or near local assosciation you can get on with and learn from them. It is well worth it.

Last edited: