Bedford TM in the desert?

Discussion in 'REME' started by turrethead, Nov 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of an opinion on the TM Bedford. I'm thinking of buying one for use in West Africa, in the Sahel and Sahara. I've heard they're fairly rugged and simple but I'm not sure they will cope with the heat. I would probably have to put a bigger radiator in it, if possible? Do they have any major vices or problems I should look for?

cheers

M

2. They are quite 'bouncy' when unloaded and the cab is smaller than it looks! They did provide sterling service during GW1 though and I didn't hear of any major complaints about them, which isn't bad considering they were deployed in their many hundreds.

3. What he said

they were very reliable during GW1
    the big fat tyres are ideal for the soft terrain
    the cab is tiny, cant fit f*** all inside.

4. Well that sounds encouraging. This may be a stupid question but being built in the late eighties are they metric, imperial or the dreaded whitworth?

M

5. How are you going to manage spare parts, there are very few british built trucks in non comonwelth countrys

6. What work will you be doing with it? An MJR would be cheaper and easier to maintain I think unless you really need the payload and horsepower.

I'd have a long hard look at what everyone else is using out there from a support point of view if you are using it commercially (and by your choice of TM over MJ I presume you are.)
    When I was last in Algeria I saw a number of Renault 4x4 trucks of similar size to a TM. I would expect parts support to be rather easier to come by. Mercedes would be well worth a look too as they seem to have good support in most places and they make excellent motor vehicles.

General Motors flogged Bedford off and I doubt that Marshalls of Cambridge (the current owners) have much of a dealer network in the Sahel! - you'd struggle to get a lot of parts for a twenty plus year old truck in the UK let alone anywhere else.

7. When ever I worked there we used the old Leylands, Landtrain and landmaster, this was in the late 80's.But both types were never sold in the Uk. As for Bedford the only one I rember was the RL we left in KUFRA in 1969

8. You are absolutely right about parts support and I would rather be using a Mercedes, MAN, or Renault, the common trucks in Mali, but I cant find any! Our project is underway so I need something as fast as possible and I only have the internet to search with. Most tanker 4x4 or 6x6 searches I do come up with Bedford ex mod.
    I need a Tanker AWD and chose the TM because of the greater load capacity and the 6x6 option over the MJ. AN MJ can carry about 5,000 liters of fuel whereas a TM 4x4 can carry 9,000 L, and 6x6 14,000 L.
    Unfortunately I know its going to be a short term fix and will have to bring spares with the truck when it comes. Thats why I was asking if they had any particular vices.
    Thanks for the link Jarrod248. I have gotten a lot of info from there. Its like Amazon.com for trucks!
    I've tried searching for a similar German site for disposal of ex military vehicles but came up dry.

9. Is it actually fuel (or similar) that you'll be carrying? Are you working to European standards or local standards? PM me if you like if the details are commercially sensitive.

What sort of budget do you have?

10. THAT IS FECKING AWESOME

11. I would love to turn up at a Motor Caravan Club rally in that

12. Those MAN things are awesome. What are they worth secondhand?
    I cant find a tanker version though, is there one?
    Yes it is fuel. But it will be to local standards not European.
    LJackson has tanker 6x6 TM's that would be perfect, but they want waaay too much.
    I've contacted Witham about the Saro demountable tanks and they only sell as a unit, not individual tanks. I could get 5 tanks (1 unit, 3 extra tanks) on the back of the 6x6 TM or Kat 1 but they say I would have to buy 3 units to do that!

M