Bedford TK... Pros & Cons?

Hello.

Further to the Land Rover 101 thread I started which was interesting and very helpful, thanks to all who contributed, I have now ventured into the REME for some advice on the Bedford TK 330 turbo diesel because I am considering buying a horsebox version to kit out and tour England in for a few months starting in the summer.

No doubt a robust unit but what are your stories? Any experience with the later AWD? A chap on Ebay reckons his AWD horsebox gets 26-27mpg on a run at 2000rpm. Is that possible from a 5+litre motor?

There's also a 'go anywhere' expedition TK on Ebay if you've got £30k spare!

Thanks in advance.

PL

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally I don't think you can beat the TK/MK
Easy to work on and drive

However if you look (I think in QM'S FORUM) there used to be quite athread about Mk's
Jarrod is the man to get hold of IIRC he kitted one out

Good luck

Do have a look at Jarrod's vehicle. It has been really well fitted out and stands comparison to any of the offerings from Unicat.

It may be worth having a look at the Self Build Motor Caravanners website. This is just the sort of thing that they do CLICKY

From what I remember Jarrod had more trouble with the insurance than anything else.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
If I was selling something for £30K I'd include some info. and photos. If I was buying something for £30k I'd want to read some info. and see some photos. Maybe he wants £20k and is just hoping Mr. Stupid will come along before he gets real.

Jarrod, can you tell me about your vehicle? Why did you have such problems? It's under 7.5t so why didn't you drive it?

PL

I would not buy and convert a horsebox unless I wanted a holiday that mainly involved being stuck by the roadside trying to find anyone who stocks parts for a lorry that hasn't been in manufacture for twenty years....

Mercedes or Transit LWB van Second hand - fit out as a camper.

EX_STAB said:
I would not buy and convert a horsebox unless I wanted a holiday that mainly involved being stuck by the roadside trying to find anyone who stocks parts for a lorry that hasn't been in manufacture for twenty years....

I would think there are still piles of Bedford parts available. The XLWB Transit Jumbo and Merc' Sprinter were my first choices during the summer but they are still far too costly as a base vehicle. I quite like the Merc' 609 minibus and Vario (shape) which can be bought for less and have far more space.

PL

tangosix said:
Hello PandaLOVE,

if you fancy a restoration job,there is a Bedford TK horse box wasting away in a field near Manchester Airport.
Position:53°20'30.48"N,2°16'35.07"W.

tangosix.
Thank you tangosix.

Nope, I'm on the look out for an on the road example in good condition! Something I can work on as a running project, I don't want to get involved with restoration but rather fixing up the living area. Doesn't have to be a TK, any horsebox will be considered. I'd love a Bedford RL! Sod poor fuel economy, I'd drive that beauty 24/7 if I could afford it.

PL

PandaLOVE said:
tango six said:
Nope, I'm on the look out for an on the road example in good condition! Something I can work on as a running project, I don't want to get involved with restoration but rather fixing up the living area.
PL

If you fancy a left-hooker then there's a terrific load on Mobile.De - CLICKY Also, have a look at BCA Linky

There will be a lot of vehicles coming through this year as the London Congestion Charge starts to put more vehicles off the road. Most of the older diesels have no chance of meeting the emissions figures. There is also going to be the fallout from the recession so if you have the cash, there will be bargains to be had.

You mention Mercs: Be careful, the spares can be frighteningly expensive. Also the non turbo models are dog slow. It may be worth your while looking at the newer generation of Renault panel vans. They seem to be reliable.

PandaLOVE said:
EX_STAB said:

I would think there are still piles of Bedford parts available. The XLWB Transit Jumbo and Merc' Sprinter were my first choices during the summer but they are still far too costly as a base vehicle. I quite like the Merc' 609 minibus and Vario (shape) which can be bought for less and have far more space.

PL
I worked in truck parts over 15 years ago. You couldn't get half the bits then. Doubt it's got a lot better.

A Merc Midi bus would be a more viable option. Large fleet and the manufacturer is still in business.

happybonzo said:
PandaLOVE said:
tango six said:
Nope, I'm on the look out for an on the road example in good condition! Something I can work on as a running project, I don't want to get involved with restoration but rather fixing up the living area.
PL

If you fancy a left-hooker then there's a terrific load on Mobile.De - CLICKY Also, have a look at BCA Linky

There will be a lot of vehicles coming through this year as the London Congestion Charge starts to put more vehicles off the road. Most of the older diesels have no chance of meeting the emissions figures. There is also going to be the fallout from the recession so if you have the cash, there will be bargains to be had.

You mention Mercs: Be careful, the spares can be frighteningly expensive. Also the non turbo models are dog slow. It may be worth your while looking at the newer generation of Renault panel vans. They seem to be reliable.
Thanks for those links. My bold, do you mean they will not meet the London emission figures or emission figures in general? Are the emission test more strict in the LEZ? What becomes of a vehicle that fails the emission test? Can the vehicle be modified?

PL

EX_STAB said:
PandaLOVE said:
EX_STAB said:

PL
I worked in truck parts over 15 years ago. You couldn't get half the bits then. Doubt it's got a lot better.

A Merc Midi bus would be a more viable option. Large fleet and the manufacturer is still in business.
My bold.... then I'll wind my neck in! Thanks Ex Stab.

Right now I'm looking at a 1988 4.2ltr 4 cyl diesel Ford Iveco with 167k miles. Any horror stories, things to beware of? Surely a decent engine and box? Plenty about still so must be OK?

PL