Bedford TK... Pros & Cons?

Discussion in 'REME' started by PandaLOVE, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello.

Further to the Land Rover 101 thread I started which was interesting and very helpful, thanks to all who contributed, I have now ventured into the REME for some advice on the Bedford TK 330 turbo diesel because I am considering buying a horsebox version to kit out and tour England in for a few months starting in the summer.

No doubt a robust unit but what are your stories? Any experience with the later AWD? A chap on Ebay reckons his AWD horsebox gets 26-27mpg on a run at 2000rpm. Is that possible from a 5+litre motor?

There's also a 'go anywhere' expedition TK on Ebay if you've got £30k spare!

Thanks in advance.

PL

2. [​IMG]

Some of the younger pups might not know what a TK is! Like this one but ours were a bit 'greener' and sort of 'camouflagey'!

Come on...... bump!

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Personally I don't think you can beat the TK/MK
    Easy to work on and drive

However if you look (I think in QM'S FORUM) there used to be quite athread about Mk's
    Jarrod is the man to get hold of IIRC he kitted one out

Good luck

4. Do have a look at Jarrod's vehicle. It has been really well fitted out and stands comparison to any of the offerings from Unicat.

It may be worth having a look at the Self Build Motor Caravanners website. This is just the sort of thing that they do CLICKY

From what I remember Jarrod had more trouble with the insurance than anything else.

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

6. If I was selling something for £30K I'd include some info. and photos. If I was buying something for £30k I'd want to read some info. and see some photos. Maybe he wants £20k and is just hoping Mr. Stupid will come along before he gets real.

Jarrod, can you tell me about your vehicle? Why did you have such problems? It's under 7.5t so why didn't you drive it?

PL

7. I would not buy and convert a horsebox unless I wanted a holiday that mainly involved being stuck by the roadside trying to find anyone who stocks parts for a lorry that hasn't been in manufacture for twenty years....

Mercedes or Transit LWB van Second hand - fit out as a camper.

8. I would think there are still piles of Bedford parts available. The XLWB Transit Jumbo and Merc' Sprinter were my first choices during the summer but they are still far too costly as a base vehicle. I quite like the Merc' 609 minibus and Vario (shape) which can be bought for less and have far more space.

PL

9. Thank you tangosix.

Nope, I'm on the look out for an on the road example in good condition! Something I can work on as a running project, I don't want to get involved with restoration but rather fixing up the living area. Doesn't have to be a TK, any horsebox will be considered. I'd love a Bedford RL! Sod poor fuel economy, I'd drive that beauty 24/7 if I could afford it.

PL

11. I worked in truck parts over 15 years ago. You couldn't get half the bits then. Doubt it's got a lot better.

A Merc Midi bus would be a more viable option. Large fleet and the manufacturer is still in business.

13. My bold.... then I'll wind my neck in! Thanks Ex Stab.

Right now I'm looking at a 1988 4.2ltr 4 cyl diesel Ford Iveco with 167k miles. Any horror stories, things to beware of? Surely a decent engine and box? Plenty about still so must be OK?

PL

14. You can't fit a bayonet to a bedford, be a Armourer.