Bedford Rear Passenger seating

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by DesktopCommando, Jul 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know the score on these since the old ones are not to be used any part numbers for the new type for demanding, or any info if they are held centrally for usage ?

DTC

2. The read the stangest things on ARRSE.

3. Best person to ask would be the GSV IPT Equipment Support Manager, have a look on DDirectory for GSV ESM

4. I suggest speaking to your MT Sgt/MTWO/MTO/Master Driver and mention TCV ES (the new seats) and the regulations regarding the use of and restrictions on carrying troops in the back of Bedford/Daf.

5. I remember the days when the seats were on the sides looking inwards

6. Me too, that was until someone broke their back while the wagon was driving down a lane and hit a tree.

7. I think there was also a fatality -probably in the late 70s

8. Your right, you are not allowed to sit in the back of trucks if they have the "old style" seating fitted.
    If your Unit does not hold the TCV ES, Troop Carrying Vehicle Enhanced Seating, then they can demand it through the Training Material Parks for training/exercises. But if your a few weeks before a big ex then i think you will know the answer as to if there any available.
    There are some new ones being bought which are 14 man ones. They can be broken down to 6 and 8 man sections.
    There isnt a course as such to fit them, they come with a handbook in theory!
    This is the NSN for the ones that will fit in leagacy (old) trucks.
    2540 99 471 3787. But please SCOC it to make sure its still valid.

9. Seats? you had seats in the back....bunch of poofs.

10. odd, as I was one of 4 bods driving for the 5 RA's gnr lancejack promotion course..and we had those things in the back of the DAF 4 tonners..
    we were given these waiver letters...

11. when you say "those things" do you mean the old bench seats?
    And i would like to see who signed one of those waiver letters!!! That bit of paper does not stop you turning the truck over or protect your bonce when it hits the ground! Not having a go, but you were not on Op Tour etc and proper planning would of got you the TCVES's. :roll:

12. yup, sure did mean the old bench seats.
    And 5 regt is a really really bad unit admin wise. Everything EVERYTHING seems cuffed to the max.
    I've still got the letter I think..must be in the block, but I'm at home right now, so It'll have to wait..
    And It was signed off by some high up rupert in catterick garrison. We got those as aparently there were none of the TCVES's seats available..

Don't shoot the messenger mate!

13. CH, I have to agree with SWO. The way we do it is apply for TCVES through G3 WFM at Div. They put the application into TMP and the assets will be allocated if your training is high enough on the priority list. Because the TCVES is a royal pain in the arrse to fit into vehicles they tend to come already fitted into bedfords. There are not enough sets of TCVES in the system to cope with demand and if there are not enough TCVES available then bench seats may be allocated (it isn't always a case of bad planning). If they are then the waiver is issued from LAND. Units shouldn't hold any bench seats of their own and as such they can only be issued by the people who also seek the waiver.

14. [quote="Horridlittleman There are not enough sets of TCVES in the system to cope with demand and if there are not enough TCVES available then bench seats may be allocated (it isn't always a case of bad planning). If they are then the waiver is issued from LAND. Units shouldn't hold any bench seats of their own and as such they can only be issued by the people who also seek the waiver.[/quote]

This really is all a huge f*ckup. The EU Directive means that NEW vehicles after 2006 cannot have side facing seats and need seatbelts. On that basis the Army decides to effectively bin all its green troop transport - with the only real "replacement" being white mini-buses and coaches, no off-road capability and hugely expensive. Some-one somewhere should have been sacked for this bit of H&S nonsense. - And don't come "dangerous" with me. Just what are the stats for injuries sustained in 4 Tonners ? B*gger all that I can remember - New seating system - a laughing stock and money wasted. Rant Off.