Bed Blocks

Someone told me yesterday that recruits don't do bed blocks in phase 1 training, but get issued DUVETS!!!! Please somebody quash this vicious rumour.

Issued?? I only got a duvet in phase 2, because I went out a bought one!

They also get a musical dummy and a rotating mobile with animals on FFS.

I think that on the 'Commando- Front Line' thingy recently the lads picked up duvets as soon as they arrived! How queer!

Tabemeister said:
Someone told me yesterday that recruits don't do bed blocks in phase 1 training, but get issued DUVETS!!!! Please somebody quash this vicious rumour.
Yes you are quite right we should make their life as difficult as possible for them so that when it comes to learning about their job they are too tired and disinterested because they were up half the night making an unhygeinic, antiquated bed block and couldn't sleep the other half because they were sleeping on the floor.

Alternatively we could move into the 21st century and acknowledge that some things are more important than that.

To be honest the majority of bullsh1t that the Army subjected its recruits to in the 80s and 90s was a fallback to the period of National Servce when occupying soldiers in barracks was of greater importance than training them.

Spoken with a lot of common sense Barbs, but where´s the fun in trashing a duvet FFS ? :D

Disclaimer: I was never an Instructor at a training establishment and therefore never did this; but admit it, you were always grateful when some other poor recruit had his bed block trashed and you didn´t :wink:

barbs said:
Tabemeister said:
Yes you are quite right we should make their life as difficult as possible for them so that when it comes to learning about their job they are too tired and disinterested because they were up half the night making an unhygeinic, antiquated bed block and couldn't sleep the other half because they were sleeping on the floor.

Alternatively we could move into the 21st century and acknowledge that some things are more important than that - in fact pick up a late-war training programme and see what the Army thought was important then (not a lot of bedblock making).

To be honest the majority of bullsh1t that the Army subjected its recruits to in the 80s and 90s was a fallback to the period of National Servce when occupying soldiers in barracks was of greater importance than training them.
The reason all the bullsh*t is in place is to teach recruits how to perform under arduous conditions, and to maintain high standards and attention to detail regardless of distractions or fatigue. Take away the bullsh*t and you take away half the training.

My training was in the mid 90's at Pirbright, and, although I bitched and moaned all the way through, I still appreciate to this day what I had to endure. Bed blocks, sleep deprivation, beastings, late night locker trashing, all of it.

Not only is the training valuable, it also helps to weed out lesser mortals who, for want of a better descriptive term, can't be arrsed.

barbs said:
Tabemeister said:

Alternatively we could move into the 21st century and acknowledge that some things are more important than that.

The whole point of the first few weeks of training is to turn a civvie teenager into an effective soldier. This means being able to follow orders, even crap ones.
Most if not all teenagers wouldn't dream of tidying up their bedrooms and squaring everything away first thing in the morning. So by making bed blocks and putting everything in it's place in the lockers, they are learning the importance of good admin.
Once they are in the field (for real) they will hopefully keep themselves and their kit clean without the need for reminders.
Once they have learnt these valuable lessons they can then be rewarded with a few comforts.

A few good comments from Mike, and Murphy there. I agree wholeheartedly with both of them.

Yes gents well said. As for being too tired because they have been up all night............and can't concentrate............ isn't that the whole point.

skintboymike said:
The reason all the bullsh*t is in place is to teach recruits how to perform under arduous conditions, and to maintain high standards and attention to detail regardless of distractions or fatigue. Take away the bullsh*t and you take away half the training.

My training was in the mid 90's at Pirbright, and, although I bitched and moaned all the way through, I still appreciate to this day what I had to endure. Bed blocks, sleep deprivation, beastings, late night locker trashing, all of it.

Not only is the training valuable, it also helps to weed out lesser mortals who, for want of a better descriptive term, can't be arrsed.
No the reason for the bullsh1t remaining in place during the 90s is because unthinking morons let it continue.

It is not valuable training.

"...weeding out lesser mortals" - you are clearly quite uptight. Every soldier under training has been selected because he has potential to do complete training. There is no remit for instructors to weed out anyone.

Brutal training as you describe can produce brutal soldiers which could result in brutality on the battlefied (and brutality is different from ruthlessness).

Get over yourself - it happened to me therefore it must happen to the next generation.

Keep the best of training and get rid of the worst of training. Demotivating activity is worse than pointless and can set people back considerably.

Murphy_Slaw said:
The whole point of the first few weeks of training is to turn a civvie teenager into an effective soldier. This means being able to follow orders, even crap ones.
Most if not all teenagers wouldn't dream of tidying up their bedrooms and squaring everything away first thing in the morning. So by making bed blocks and putting everything in it's place in the lockers, they are learning the importance of good admin.
Once they are in the field (for real) they will hopefully keep themselves and their kit clean without the need for reminders.
Once they have learnt these valuable lessons they can then be rewarded with a few comforts.
Making bedblocks and good admin are not mutually exclusive. Irrelevant.

So what's next? Get rid of drill (It makes my feet hurt bwaa haaaa)?

Tabemeister said:
Yes gents well said. As for being too tired because they have been up all night............and can't concentrate............ isn't that the whole point.
No it is not the point. Learn your basics in a simple way, practice them under increasingly arduous conditions. If you start teaching to a tired brain it doesn't take it all in, if you teach it to a energised and awake brain it does.

How many times did you see soldiers in training miss meals because there was some bullsh1t, badly planned activity which meant they missed their food. Did they perform better? Were they better soldiers? Were they disgruntled?

Take map reading as a case in point. Soldiers are expected to be able to take in a remarkable amount of information in a small amount of time. Many of them come from backgrounds where learning does not come naturally. If they are tired they can't concentrate, if they fall behind they disengage at which point they fall off entirely.

If you want to see how somehow performs when tired and under pressure get them to do something useful and relevant. You might be surprised that he may be engaged by it and might perform better, even though he has been up all night. You will probably experienced this yourself.

I have seen many, many different styles of training and I can guarantee you that the trainers who demonstrated imagination and were able to show the utility of what they were asking of their soldiers produced far better results than the ones whose soldiers were asleep for most of the day.

762baynet said:
So what's next? Get rid of drill (It makes my feet hurt bwaa haaaa)?
Do you know what the purpose of drill is? If so then you can try to defend it, if you don't then you can't. Defending poor training because we always done it is non-sensical.

Take for example the reduction in drill at RMAS. Many people thought the Empire would crumble (admittedly some of them didn't realise there was no Empire anymore). Surprisingly it didn't and the standard of the Sovereign's Parade and other parades are very high.

The virtues of drill far outweigh the disadvantages: the virtues of bedblocks can be accomplished in other more productive training.

If a training corporal gives out 100 show parades in a month is he better than the one that gives out 10? Do you intepret this as:

a. He has higher standards;

or

b. He is more diligent;

or

c. The one who gives out 10 has got his section up to the required standard.

Oh dear ! Did I actually say that you used a lot of common sense in your previous post Barbs ? More fool me, judging by your follow up post. How about these points ?

No the reason for the bullsh1t remaining in place during the 90s is because unthinking morons let it continue.
It is not valuable training.

So the whole of the training establishment and therefore the people who work out the training curriculums are all unthinking morons are they ? I don´t think so. Both Mike and Murphy explained the reasons behind it and as the saying goes: "If it ain´t broke, don´t try and fix it"

"...weeding out lesser mortals" - you are clearly quite uptight. Every soldier under training has been selected because he has potential to do complete training. There is no remit for instructors to weed out anyone.

What´s it got to do with being uptight ? Just because someone has the POTENTIAL to complete Phase 1 training, doesn´t necessarily mean that they have the ABILITY or the MENTALITY. Therefore it IS up to the Instructors to weed people out. Best example is someone who has pretty good drills & skills but who is a selfish, non-team player. DS will suss someone like that out quite quickly. How would YOU feel about having someone like that in your section on Ops ?

Brutal training as you describe can produce brutal soldiers which could result in brutality on the battlefied (and brutality is different from ruthlessness).

Non starter of an arguement. It´s a word play from your side and jack shite else, or do you really think that all JNCOs and SNCOs in the Army (who will be responsible for the soldier when he gets to his unit) are all unthinking brutal barbarians ?

The start of this thread was about bed blocks and duvets at the beginning of basic and whether it was too easy for new recruits. The whole point of basic is to weed out the fcukwits early on by making life difficult just like skintboy said.
Once you have got rid of the chaff, you can train the rest. If basic was too easy, we would end up with people like Pvte Golden actually completing training!!!

Latest Threads