Becoming Infantry Platoon Commander

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by taelong1, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a university student (studying Sociology), just about to start my second year. Recently I have done some research and am quite interested in becoming a infantry platoon commander.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have,

Is there alot of competition to get this position??

Are my chances of acceptance increased for doing a degree course before hand??

What else can I do on the outside world to improve my chances of acceptance?? Apart from regular excercise (Im quite confident I can achieve the correct level of fitness).

Any other information I may find useful will be much appreciated, along with any example of specifics of the job..

Forgive me if this sort of information is readily available, I have searched quite a few sites as well as ordering a DVD pack from the army website with extra info.

2. Get down to your local carears office. They will give you all the info you need.

3. What he said, they will really help you, just get down there as soon as possible, ive been researching and trying to find this and that about the army i went to a army careers office and i got all the information i needed and more. its really easy, theyll answer anything you want to know.

4. There is quite a bit of competition for the places - probably one of the more popular places to commission to.

Most others will have degrees so it probably will not make that much of difference.

In terms of stuff you can do to prepare - go travelling, play sport, go drinking.

5. Second everything that's been said up there. I thought I'd found out everything there was to know about my future position in the armed forces, went to the nearest AFCO and realised I'd just scratched the surface, and there were so many more oppurtunities available!

6. I would seriously check with the AFCO whether this is considered a suitable subject or whether a switch may be appropriate. It may also depend on where you are studying for a degree to be a factor. Remember that a degree is not necessary for a commission but it just might reflect in the choices you have.

7. Why might sociology be a problem degree for an inf officer?

8. I'm an infantry officer with a degree that has absolutely no relevance to my career at all, doesn't seem to have done me any harm!

9. Thinking about it, what degrees are directly relevant to being an infantry officer? Military history?

10. I don't really think any degree is more or less relevant than another with regard to becoming an infantry officer. Some people seem to think it a good idea to study warfare, or similar, but I don't think that makes for particularly rounded individuals.

If sociology gives you a wider insight into life then who is to say it is the wrong degree. The degree you take has very little bearing on your army career (unless you joing REME/Engineers but that's a different story).

11. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Child-care ? :wink:

Or maybe that should be a course all NCOs should take in order we can look after our nice and shiney young Subbies?

12. Taelong1

Remember that Derrida illustrates that Heidegger’s attempt to argue that sexual neutrality is a neutrality that refers only to sexual duality and that the neutrality of Dasein contains an ‘originary positivity (ursprüngliche Positivität)’ that does not result in a ‘de-sexualisation’ of Dasein, but to a positive notion of a ‘pre-differential’ or ‘pre-dual’ sexuality that is neither ‘unitary’, ‘homogeneous’ or ‘undifferentiated’. ‘Pre-dual’ sexuality is an undecidable and the dualisation of sexual being emerges, therefore, as a negativity in the thought of Heidegger. The implication for subjectivity is that selfhood or Selbstheit is already marked by sexuality before its subsequent dualisation and subsequent ‘violent’ neutralisation.

This will take you far at Sandhurst.

13. That's why I suggested he check it out. Sociology is a pretty dirty word at the moment and can in some quarters be seen as the cause of the demise of certain National Institutions.

14. haha Sociology as the demise of national institutions!! Sociology is only a dirty word if you read the Sun or the Daily Mail :p

And Fallschirmmongsturm, Heidegger is a philosipher not a sociologist, people don't even know what sociology is about, yet they criticise it because they read crap newspapers. Not cool!!

But thanks for the advice guys, i'll take it up!

15. If sociology is about the study of society and the rationales for the actions that people as a whole or individuals take, don't you think that philosophy forms an inherent part of that?