Becoming BRITISH

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In November last year a new “citizen test” was established so that the 140,000 people who apply for British citizenship every year not only have to demonstrate a working grasp of English but also pass a test on our knowledge of life in the United Kingdom. The aim is to aid our integration into Britain’s multicultural society.

The book Life in the United Kingdom is 146 pages and has chapters titled Stability and the Growth of Empire and Expecting a Baby. It is riddled with grammatical errors but an interesting read, covering all aspects of British life, including history, culture, government and law.

After all my studying, the test itself, which I sat in May, was embarrassingly easy. There were some questions on the European parliament and devolved administration, which I might not have known if I hadn’t studied. But the rest were common knowledge, like “What is the legal age for buying tobacco?” and “Who is the head of state?”

You’re given 45 minutes to complete the test — I finished mine in eight. Having passed it I could apply for naturalisation. The 16-page form comes with 36 pages of guidance notes and takes hours to fill out. I hesitated over questions like “Have you ever been involved in terrorist activity?” Who the hell would answer in the affirmative?

People can cheat at their exam, or lie on their forms. How else could a non-English speaker slip through the net and stand alongside me?

It’s not a matter of race: those who cheat, or who don’t feel comfortable shaking hands with the person who hands them their citizenship, aren’t prepared to integrate. Those who don’t integrate shouldn’t be British.

In full,,2092-2415271,00.html

Am I correct in recalling that in Rome citizenship could only be granted by vote of the Senate or 20 years service in the Legions?
  2. I think it was being PART of the Senate, the ruling elite or having served
  3. sounds a bit like Starship Trooper
  4. Did I nearly fall for a wah????
  5. I refer you to here which sums it up quite nicely.

In short, no.