Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Becoming Army Officer after Uni

That what they are doing isn't impossible - if they already have kids or are married then crack on. Take the first few years on the chin and hope for some stability once the rank of Capt is reached.

Having a girlfriend (a fiancé is a girlfriend with a ring on, assuming no children) is different. If any OCdt chooses to do Sandhurst bearing that burden, then that's their choice, but my advice is to make a clean break and enjoy life.

That would be a fiancée.

Although it's not impossible to have both a fiancé and be an OCdt/Young Officer, I would recommend against it in the strongest terms.

Bin her and have an awesome time in the Army, or forget about the Army and devote your whole life and finances to her.

One or the other. Doing both is the worst of both worlds.

Rubbish. Mrs rTruxx and I had a grand old time at Sandbags ( she was just gf at the time). We decided to spend the rest of our lives together at about 0130 hrs on 4th June 1977 after consuming our own bodyweight in Moet at the June Ball. We have had a brilliant time in t'army and after and we will be popping a moet cork shortly, 40 plus years later.

If she cannot cope with you not being home at 5 every day then how will she cope when you're deployed away in foreign climes? The UK Army is not home based and does not usually work only office hours.

In the new modern army, people will pick and chose what hours suits them, at least that's the impression I got from a brief on NEM.

I can't comment on any of those questions, I haven't a clue.

I'd suggest:
1) Asking someone directly during the application process what the current schedule looks like
2) Armed with that knowledge have a think about it
3) Have an honest and open discussion with your future partner and family

Avoid placing too much emphasis on what a bunch of randoms on the internet reckon.

Vocations (as opposed to jobs) have a challenging, hard to predict effect on your personal life. I'd consider more the 44 years after the 44 weeks.

Taking my own advice, evaluate this message in the same vein!

Hello,

In 2020 I'll finish my Bachelor's degree and I'd love to go Sandhurst and become an Army Officer. I've watched a documentary and I saw that the cadets live in barracks there, monday to friday, and are only allowed to go home on weekends. However on the UK Army website it says that, generally, you work 8-5 type of hours when in the Army. I understand that this statement may not apply for Sandhurst in terms that you're not free to go home after 5pm, which will put a strain on me and my fiancée's relationship. So it would be ideal if there is a route to becoming an Army Officer, while being able to come back home in the evenings. Is there? Is the only alternative going regular and trying to climb the ladder there? Do regulars go home every evening? Thank you very much in advance, and a happy new year!

Juice

Or... go Reserves with a commission, best of everything and you pick and choose what hours you want to commit, and get paid the same daily rate in training, just ensure your commit yourself physically and mentally, it's not rocket science

Or... go Reserves with a commission, best of everything and you pick and choose what hours you want to commit, and get paid the same daily rate in training, just ensure your commit yourself physically and mentally, it's not rocket science

Except that isn’t accurate at all.

I can't comment on any of those questions, I haven't a clue.

I'd suggest:
1) Asking someone directly during the application process what the current schedule looks like
2) Armed with that knowledge have a think about it
3) Have an honest and open discussion with your future partner and family

Avoid placing too much emphasis on what a bunch of randoms on the internet reckon.

Vocations (as opposed to jobs) have a challenging, hard to predict effect on your personal life. I'd consider more the 44 years after the 44 weeks.

Taking my own advice, evaluate this message in the same vein!

All good advice. I was referring to the current schedule, by the way.

I've watched a documentary and I saw that the cadets live in barracks there, monday to friday, and are only allowed to go home on weekends.

This is correct, except that the weekend generally starts on Saturday afternoon, not Friday evening. Sandhurst is essentially full time for the year (minimum) that you'll be there.

Thereafter you'll generally work 8-5 but you can potentially spend significant time away on exercise and up to 9 months on tour overseas.

Being a junior officer isn't a game for people with needy partners.

Absolute bollocks. The Reserves are nothing like the Regular Army.

Also, in the reserves you can pick and choose the hours you want, as long as it's on a Tuesday evening, or a whole weekend.

Best of everything? Worst of all worlds. Unhappy spouse because you're chinning her off every other weekend, and none of the opportunity to do anything good, unless you class being amongst other civvies dressed as soldiers as good.

Absolute bollocks. The Reserves are nothing like the Regular Army.

Also, in the reserves you can pick and choose the hours you want, as long as it's on a Tuesday evening, or a whole weekend.

Best of everything? Worst of all worlds. Unhappy spouse because you're chinning her off every other weekend, and none of the opportunity to do anything good, unless you class being amongst other civvies dressed as soldiers as good.
Depends on the Reserve unit. There are so many trawls and opportunities to go places round the world for Reservists with the right military qualifications you can do all sorts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

A reminder - recruiting board rules apply. Keep it helpful, accurate and relevant (and polite) or don’t post.
ROPs await.

Depends on the Reserve unit. There are so many trawls and opportunities to go places round the world for Reservists with the right military qualifications you can do all sorts.

It does, but the units providing really interesting opportunities are based in a handful of very specific locations (mostly London) and many require fairly advanced civilian skills as well.

The reserves may help scratch an itch but I think it's a stretch to describe it as the best of both worlds, especially as reservists miss out on the joys of the junior officer mess lifestyle.