Becoming Army Officer after Uni

I can't comment on any of those questions, I haven't a clue.

I'd suggest:
1) Asking someone directly during the application process what the current schedule looks like
2) Armed with that knowledge have a think about it
3) Have an honest and open discussion with your future partner and family

Avoid placing too much emphasis on what a bunch of randoms on the internet reckon.

Vocations (as opposed to jobs) have a challenging, hard to predict effect on your personal life. I'd consider more the 44 years after the 44 weeks.

Taking my own advice, evaluate this message in the same vein!

Hello,

In 2020 I'll finish my Bachelor's degree and I'd love to go Sandhurst and become an Army Officer. I've watched a documentary and I saw that the cadets live in barracks there, monday to friday, and are only allowed to go home on weekends. However on the UK Army website it says that, generally, you work 8-5 type of hours when in the Army. I understand that this statement may not apply for Sandhurst in terms that you're not free to go home after 5pm, which will put a strain on me and my fiancée's relationship. So it would be ideal if there is a route to becoming an Army Officer, while being able to come back home in the evenings. Is there? Is the only alternative going regular and trying to climb the ladder there? Do regulars go home every evening? Thank you very much in advance, and a happy new year!

Juice
Or... go Reserves with a commission, best of everything and you pick and choose what hours you want to commit, and get paid the same daily rate in training, just ensure your commit yourself physically and mentally, it's not rocket science

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I can't comment on any of those questions, I haven't a clue.

I'd suggest:
1) Asking someone directly during the application process what the current schedule looks like
2) Armed with that knowledge have a think about it
3) Have an honest and open discussion with your future partner and family

Avoid placing too much emphasis on what a bunch of randoms on the internet reckon.

Vocations (as opposed to jobs) have a challenging, hard to predict effect on your personal life. I'd consider more the 44 years after the 44 weeks.

Taking my own advice, evaluate this message in the same vein!

All good advice. I was referring to the current schedule, by the way.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've watched a documentary and I saw that the cadets live in barracks there, monday to friday, and are only allowed to go home on weekends.
This is correct, except that the weekend generally starts on Saturday afternoon, not Friday evening. Sandhurst is essentially full time for the year (minimum) that you'll be there.

Thereafter you'll generally work 8-5 but you can potentially spend significant time away on exercise and up to 9 months on tour overseas.

Being a junior officer isn't a game for people with needy partners.

Or... go Reserves with a commission, best of everything and you pick and choose what hours you want to commit, and get paid the same daily rate in training, just ensure your commit yourself physically and mentally, it's not rocket science
Absolute bollocks. The Reserves are nothing like the Regular Army.

Also, in the reserves you can pick and choose the hours you want, as long as it's on a Tuesday evening, or a whole weekend.

Best of everything? Worst of all worlds. Unhappy spouse because you're chinning her off every other weekend, and none of the opportunity to do anything good, unless you class being amongst other civvies dressed as soldiers as good.

Absolute bollocks. The Reserves are nothing like the Regular Army.

Also, in the reserves you can pick and choose the hours you want, as long as it's on a Tuesday evening, or a whole weekend.

Best of everything? Worst of all worlds. Unhappy spouse because you're chinning her off every other weekend, and none of the opportunity to do anything good, unless you class being amongst other civvies dressed as soldiers as good.
Depends on the Reserve unit. There are so many trawls and opportunities to go places round the world for Reservists with the right military qualifications you can do all sorts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The_Duke

LE
A reminder - recruiting board rules apply. Keep it helpful, accurate and relevant (and polite) or don’t post.
ROPs await.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Depends on the Reserve unit. There are so many trawls and opportunities to go places round the world for Reservists with the right military qualifications you can do all sorts.
It does, but the units providing really interesting opportunities are based in a handful of very specific locations (mostly London) and many require fairly advanced civilian skills as well.

The reserves may help scratch an itch but I think it's a stretch to describe it as the best of both worlds, especially as reservists miss out on the joys of the junior officer mess lifestyle.

It does, but the units providing really interesting opportunities are based in a handful of very specific locations (mostly London) and many require fairly advanced civilian skills as well.

The reserves may help scratch an itch but I think it's a stretch to describe it as the best of both worlds, especially as reservists miss out on the joys of the junior officer mess lifestyle.
Agreed, the advanced civilian skills is a big one. 170 Engineers can get deployed all over the place almost whenever they want, but that's because they are professionally qualified engineers the Army can do a lot with in a lot of places.

Can you please name some of these interesting or good units? Would 3MI and 71 Signals be included in your list? Someone already mentioned the engineers.

Can you please name some of these interesting or good units? Would 3MI and 71 Signals be included in your list? Someone already mentioned the engineers.
MI, any.

71 Signals, is that the yeomanry one in London? A lot of ceremonial opportunities!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads