Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Becoming an RGR officer

On my mothers side of the family, all the men are millitary and the majority of them are in the Gurkhas(mainly Indian Gurkhas I think although i know one was in the signaporean). I want to carry on this tradition and join the Royal Gurkha Rifles. From what ive gathered from speaking to army recruiters, Gurkha officers are from the top 1/3rd of their class at Sandhurst. Other than finishing top 1/3rd what can I do to make myself more attractive to the selection board. Should i join the UOTC at uni when i start uni?(i am currently doing my final year of school currently). All tips are greatly apprecitaed

Learn Nepalese and shower with your underpants on. That will get you a head start.

Learning to speak (and read) Nepali will certainly stand you in good stead - even if you don't get into Sandhurst. I'm sure such an ability would be useful elsewhere: FCO, Aldershot Council etc.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Another one in the RMAS 'Top 1/3'?

It's almost like the balcony!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasnt insintuating i was going to get top 1/3, more asking what you can do other than that, that helps your chances
What helps your chances is preparing well, trying hard, being fit, having a sense of humour and not being too precious about the ‘top third’.

Best of luck. Gurkhas are great but, as usual in the British Army, you have to fit in.....

No advice can be given here I’m afraid, you either do, or you don’t, and if you have to ask....,

I’ve heard that doing some volunteering in Nepal goes down well with the Gherkin recruiters at Sandhurst.

I've worked with 1 RGR in a number of tours in AFG including Op TORAL, and I've generally found the officers to have some form of connection to the area of Nepal or India, be it from a year out, working with companies based out there or family connections in general.

In fairness to RGR they genuinely do tend to recruit those in the top third of their RMAS Platoons. However it's a lot down to personality, some in the top third would never be suitable for RGR

Quiet humility and very competent would be a suitable description.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Alamo

LE
In fairness to RGR they genuinely do tend to recruit those in the top third of their RMAS Platoons. However it's a lot down to personality, some in the top third would never be suitable for RGR

Quiet humility and very competent would be a suitable description.

These would be the Thirds you maintain don’t exist?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Army fixation on the top third always amuses me. If the other 66% upped sticks and left, the aspiring Nick Carters would be fooked.

The Army fixation on the top third always amuses me. If the other 66% upped sticks and left, the aspiring Nick Carters would be fooked.
It's never been more true that those reaching Staff College as Majors are the middle and bottom third.

The top left when they realised their worth.

The bottom used to have left, but as everyone coming out of RMAS is now on a 12 year commission the Army can't get rid of them!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's never been more true that those reaching Staff College as Majors are the middle and bottom third.

The top left when they realised their worth.

The bottom used to have left, but as everyone coming out of RMAS is now on a 12 year commission the Army can't get rid of them!

I disagree.

Latest Threads