• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

becoming an ATR instructor

im interested in becoming an ATR instructor. i have placed the information on my CR advice sheet to be handed into my OC yet have not had much in the way of people who know much about it. i have always aspired to be a teacher yet have no courses under my belt.

has anyone here been one? whats it like?

what courses do i need to be considered for it? is there a minimum or do i need them all?

what is the worst thing about doing the job?

any other handy hints would be helpful.

LCPL the lazy H

As has been mentioned Skill at arms is a must and one other teaching qual

CBRN/ BCDT Jnr Drill ,also you need the new PTIS/ITGIS course but you will be put on it when you get there.
Was there in 2000-2003 its ok if you a singly but its long hours so it might not be good if you dont have an understanding other half. You walk a very thin line every day mate but if you can keep your nose clean and your pants zipped its a good crack.

MSI64 said:
As has been mentioned Skill at arms is a must and one other teaching qual

CBRN/ BCDT Jnr Drill ,also you need the new PTIS/ITGIS course but you will be put on it when you get there.
Was there in 2000-2003 its ok if you a singly but its long hours so it might not be good if you dont have an understanding other half. You walk a very thin line every day mate but if you can keep your nose clean and your pants zipped its a good crack.
ptis/itgis? wossat then?! i take it being downgraded is a no no?

i dont think ill have a drama keeping my nose clean, had no problems so far.

cheers for your help.

Depending on which Corps/Capbadge you are they usually have a selection process for Recruit Instructors. ITGIS is ATRA's Recruit Training course which is held at ATR Litchfield.

Having served at two ATRs', being downgraded, as long as you can do drill, go on exercise, etc it shouldn't be a problem, however, if I was choosing someone from my capbadge to be a RI, I would expect them to be smart, phyisically fit and totally dependable.

Been there done that (2 Sh*ts) Now at Phase 2!

If U do ur skillies course 9 times out of 10 U will end up at ATR!
Hard work, Long hours at the start of the course! But the rewards are amazing (watching some Chav turn into a squaddie (near as dammit!) in 14 weeks! Cool!)

ATRs are always under manned!

ENJOY! :D

ATR Instructor is awesome! I have just left there myself. Although some of the boles I worked with werent overly keen on going, they all liked the job given a couple of months to settle in.

As has been already mentioned, its demanding. You need to have the right mental aptitude to deal with recruits, many of which are willing to work themselves to death. You DO walk a thin line everyday and if you are not a fan of sticking to the, very black and white, rules then you would best serve somewhere else. I have seen some brilliant instructors RTU'd and disciplined for very minor shifts from ATR policy.

Skill at Arms is a must, another MATT related instructor qual is also required. If you are looking at going there as a screw, in my humble opinion, you will stand head and shoulders above most in the field army when you leave. You get to work with different capbadges in an environment that tests you on a daily basis.

For my vote its mega! If you cant handle the occasional gobby kid without resorting to cuffing him though, go somewhere else.

Always worth remembering that you were probably no more than average joe when you went through, look at the average bloke and remember that. A lot of them are very keen and will work their balls off, always one or two that have the potential to facilitate you landing yourself in court!

PM me if you want any more details

S

stevieni22

alright mate being an instructor was great depending if your inf or other arms if inf you will need junior brecon under ypour belt and maybe a drill or NBC course but these are not a must,if you are other arms then get your saa course down at brecon done on the other arms course or try and brass neck it onto the inf 1 and try and get your MLT summer under your belt plus rock climbing or canoe instrucors thatwill help and a punch bag for when the little fcukers p!ss you off!!

Are you having a laugh? It is a power trip! you can not even give the sprogs shit any more, the instructors get treated worse and have no backing from their seniors.

I was an instructor at phase 2 - (Special to Arms) Training Reg, with the RE. Taught recruits and Class One Combat Engineers. Basicall did 2 and a half years there and it is what finished my career (from my perspective - not theirs!). I did enjoy much of my time there, but it was a thankless task. Surprisingly not from the blokes I taught, but rather management (note the small m). The hours were ridiculous, finishing late and then preparing lessons as well as baby sitting (duty NCO, Regimental Duty NCO etc. etc. ) with (in my opinion) little or no recognition. Weekends were regularly f**ked up, with fast balls, late spams and ad hoc duties etc. We went nearly six months with no boilers on camp, using porta showers etc. To be honest I had better living conditions on Op Agricola 1.

This might sound like a whinge, and it prob is. I did have some cracking times there, just too much grief. If long hours with little or no recognition at the end of the day is your thing, go for it. I dare say that things may have improved in the 4 yrs that I have been out. (they have for me....4 bed detached, wife, child and a great job).

The sad thing is that passing the RE instructors course was one of the proudest moments of my life. Shame really. I also saw many good friends have their careers screwed up there, who really didn't deserve it.

Latest Threads