Becoming a Gurkha Officer?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by 1140_Sqn, May 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon chaps,

Whats the score on becoming a Gurkha Officer? I believe you can not join the Gurkhas straight from Sandhurst, so do you transfer from other units??

Please could someone shed light on this matter, it is one of my ambitions to join the Gurkhas.

Many thanks,

Jamie

2. Same as all units. You need to be intervewed. How is your Gurkhalli <sp>

3. Phone them up and ask them.

You'll need to get sponsored by the Regiment, so you'll need to impress them in person. They like evidence of foreign travel, languages etc plus ridiculous personal fitness. They also look for "long-term" people.

4. Air cadets may or may not have special entry requirements...

5. Is it true Gurkas Officers can command British regiments/companies/soldiers etc.?

6. Seemahpoint, I was an Air Cadet, I have now transferred to the Army Cadets....

Thanks for the points guys, I will look into it,

Jamie

7. Just as an aside - gurkhas seem really easy going, NCOs and others all dead chummy, famously lower levels of indiscipline, funny drunks (aluminium box and walking bent double trying to keep it off the good kit), but remember the Gurkha officer who provoked them so much they gave him a doing in (I think) Belize? All over the papers at the time......The general view being, he must have really been asking for it.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It was Hawaii in 1986 mate. The Officer that was assaulted was on a secondment from another Regt.

There was an incident in Belize 6 or 7 years back, but that involved the killing of a civilian in a brawl by some Gurkha soldiers.

9. Same as any other regiment. Sponsorship doesn't really matter. Since they're considered one of the more prestigious infantry regiments you'll have to do fairly well at Sandhurst, and it's a good idea to have a decent answer to the question "Why do you want to lead Gurkhas?"

10. As with other such organisations,they have support units such as engineers and signals.Officers can volunteer for these,from their parent organisations,for a secondment.

11. Not sure how it works for the Signals, but in the Sappers, the Queen's Gurkha Engineers are part of 36 Engr Regt (based in Maidstone), and you're posted into and out of there just like any other posting. If posted to the QGE, you'll go away to do the language course etc in Nepal. But you do need to be lucky enough to be a Sapper officer first - and if your overriding ambition is to command Gurkhas, then, as a friend of mine discovered, becoming a Sapper isn't the best way to go about it.

Put in the effort to do spectacularly well at Sandhurst and hope you're privileged enough to be accepted by the RGR.