Becoming a good shot?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jonny36, Jan 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. never been the best shot.
    allways found I was snatching the shot a lot of the time.

Any good pointers on becoming a good shot to all you top marksman out there?
  2. Yeah, don't snatch, pull the trigger!!

Ensure you follow the Markmanship principles.
  3. Follow the marksman ship principles.

balls beaten to it
  4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

practice, practice and then a bit more practice.....then one day you realise that there's not a whole lot of point to the whole exercise....

Very old trick to stop snatching is to get someone to balance a penny on the end of your barrel while you practice dry firing, penny falls fail.
  5. Surely you mean squeeze.
  6. Yes, I meant squeeze.

7. nice steady breathing. I also never hold my breath.
  8. Probably wouldn't go far wrong with a session or two on the DCCT and use the diagnostics feature to find out were you are going wrong!
  9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I found putting on a stone in weight helped me...was too light and so moved on recoil...well that was my excuse and i'm sticking to it..;)
  10. I tried for years to shut one eye as taught in basic then on my JMC got taught to leave both open and just focus with the right and i found i became a hell off a better shot.
  11. Snatching at the shot is often a sign of a lack of confidence or a fear of the weapon. For example when you encounter somone who has previously fired weapons with a heavy recoil
    (less common now) they are often still expecting the same thing. Or even with a light recoil a weapon incorrectly positioned against the cheek bone can still hurt as it kicks. Sometimes it is worth going right back into the basics from A to Z with a mucker. Remember to think of it as *the shot and follow through*. As you look through your sight after the shot you should still be on target. The breathing has been mentioned. It is important in its own right but it also sets the rythm and timetable for the whole sequence. If you can - try to find someone to teach you to spot the swirl. It will take your shooting to a completely new level. This is one skill where practise does make perfect. Not easy unless you are in the inf / paras.
  12. If you've got somewhere to practise with it, you can do a lot worse than buying a half decent air rifle and practice, practice, practice. Or join a shooting club. Shooting skills are readily transferable between weapons in my opinion.
  13. A good shot on the range doesn't necessarily equate to a good shot on a two way range.
    Most seem to forget to apply the marksmanship principles in their haste to kill the enemy.
  14. Simple; buy yourself a half decent air rifle and practice until you wear it out. If you're serious then join a civilian shooting club and, you guessed, it - practice. All the principles mentioned above are fine but if you don't do a lot of shooting you'll never understand what they really mean.