Becoming a good shot?

never been the best shot.
allways found I was snatching the shot a lot of the time.

Any good pointers on becoming a good shot to all you top marksman out there?

Pyrex

Old-Salt
Yeah, don't snatch, pull the trigger!!

Ensure you follow the Markmanship principles.

D

Deleted 20555

practice, practice and then a bit more practice.....then one day you realise that there's not a whole lot of point to the whole exercise....

Very old trick to stop snatching is to get someone to balance a penny on the end of your barrel while you practice dry firing, penny falls off...you fail.

Pyrex said:
Yeah, don't snatch, pull the trigger!!

Ensure you follow the Markmanship principles.
Surely you mean squeeze.

Pyrex

Old-Salt
Yes, I meant squeeze.

Thanks

I found putting on a stone in weight helped me...was too light and so moved on recoil...well that was my excuse and i'm sticking to it..;)

I tried for years to shut one eye as taught in basic then on my JMC got taught to leave both open and just focus with the right and i found i became a hell off a better shot.

Snatching at the shot is often a sign of a lack of confidence or a fear of the weapon. For example when you encounter somone who has previously fired weapons with a heavy recoil
(less common now) they are often still expecting the same thing. Or even with a light recoil a weapon incorrectly positioned against the cheek bone can still hurt as it kicks. Sometimes it is worth going right back into the basics from A to Z with a mucker. Remember to think of it as *the shot and follow through*. As you look through your sight after the shot you should still be on target. The breathing has been mentioned. It is important in its own right but it also sets the rythm and timetable for the whole sequence. If you can - try to find someone to teach you to spot the swirl. It will take your shooting to a completely new level. This is one skill where practise does make perfect. Not easy unless you are in the inf / paras.

If you've got somewhere to practise with it, you can do a lot worse than buying a half decent air rifle and practice, practice, practice. Or join a shooting club. Shooting skills are readily transferable between weapons in my opinion.

A good shot on the range doesn't necessarily equate to a good shot on a two way range.
Most seem to forget to apply the marksmanship principles in their haste to kill the enemy.

Simple; buy yourself a half decent air rifle and practice until you wear it out. If you're serious then join a civilian shooting club and, you guessed, it - practice. All the principles mentioned above are fine but if you don't do a lot of shooting you'll never understand what they really mean.

Sluice_dweller said:
Probably wouldn't go far wrong with a session or two on the DCCT and use the diagnostics feature to find out were you are going wrong!
Exactly - do this before you buy anything and send lead down range, otherwise you may be ingraining bad habits which will take longer to remove.

Speak to your local SAA (if mil) or book some instruction on your local range (if civ).

msr

Fallschirmjager said:
A good shot on the range doesn't necessarily equate to a good shot on a two way range.
Most seem to forget to apply the marksmanship principles in their haste to kill the enemy.
Agree with above - bit different breathing in through your hole, sweet pissing into your eyes, helmet slipping forward etc etc... - "turning & burning"

You could transfer to the RA, then being a good shot isn't necessary ;)

msr said:
Sluice_dweller said:
Probably wouldn't go far wrong with a session or two on the DCCT and use the diagnostics feature to find out were you are going wrong!
Exactly - do this before you buy anything and send lead down range, otherwise you may be ingraining bad habits which will take longer to remove.

Speak to your local SAA (if mil) or book some instruction on your local range (if civ).

msr
Or ring the keeper of the DCCT or speak to your training wing!

ugly

LE
Ok here goes, the army is very good or was at turning out acceptable shots with service rifles. Training was slow and methodical. It was also very good at making very good shots from really bad ones. I recall IJLB shooting team clearing the Junior units trophy table in 81 or 82 thanks to the the QMSI SASC concentrating on the remedial shots. Problem is that the rest of us bimbled along at the slowest mans pace. I started training by getting Marksman on my first APWT and went badly downhill as there was very little challenge.
Admitedly I was a good shot before joining and shot at county level. I could have been coached into being an exceptional shot but the Q chose to remove the remedial shooters category at Shornecliffe.
Now a year later and deploying on ops my shooting improved till I was shooting half the platoons pipe range cards. Naughty I know but I was good at it. The field firing was designed to get you on your toes for the two way range but having been in only a couple of contacts it all seems to happen too fast especially urban NI to even react let alone return fire and get your breating right.
We could have proven in 83 how good we were but our Pln Cdr decided we should run towards the contact rather than the firing pont when had we all adopted prone unsupported 8 SLRS would have been pointing at the two bad guys trying to set up a come on. Live and learn there.
So I found that after leaving constant practise and shooting at rapidly moving targets such as rabbits and pigeons really helped. I am a better shot now than had I stayed in but that is because I can fund my own range time.
I am never amazed to see the amount of rifle shooters who turn up never having shot at this distance before expecting to get on the black without zeroing, adjusting sights and practising. In fact many dont even appreciate how variable ammo can be.
You really need to shoot until you are bored with getting the markers disc shot out and then move back to a decent distance.