Beckett call on Labour leadership

Gordon Brown must not be challenged for the Labour leadership, Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has said.
Mrs Beckett told the BBC it would be better if the chancellor was not distracted by a serious rival.

Her comments follow former Home Secretary Charles Clarke's public call to Environment Secretary David Miliband to challenge Mr Brown.

Former minister Michael Meacher and MP John McDonnell have already announced they will stand in any contest.

But none are considered a serious threat to Mr Brown, who is expected to take over as leader from Prime Minister Tony Blair.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6464553.stm

Gordon must have his coronation eh Margaret? There's going to be blood on the dance floor here, I wouldn't have believed Beckett and the leadership , can be so far divorced from their members they think this flagrant affront to leadership procedure will go unchallenged.

Until now.

Perhaps she assumes that (party) election-less continuity is her best chance of staying at Cabinet level? She has hardly been impressive in her current portfolio and maybe self-preservation explains why she has hitched her caravan to Brown.

I don't think she has been impressive in any of her appointments. Another 'light-weight', old fashioned Labour, nonentity.

By the by, are we still paying for the fat oaf Prescott? If so, why?

Is the arrogant clown Hewitt (Labour's answer to Virginia Bottomley) still ruining the Health Service?

What if anything is 'Buff' Hoon doing?

We hear about the smarmy and indescribably dreadful Hain as he manoeuvres for advancement and self aggrandizement, and other slimy members of this corrupt and discredited government, not the three Vote Losers above - why?

Will a medal be issued for the 'Gorgon' Brown Coronation?

To be fair if you put a donky in charge of this government it couldn't make a bigger balls up of it than the current crop of morons. Yes Prime/Minister was meant to be a comedy not policy.

Trouble for Labour is much the same as when Maggie got hoofed out. There are few personalities in the Cabinet or within the Labour Party that are easily identifiable by members of the public.

The headlines always go to Bliar or Brown. There are a couple of other ministers (Blunkett - blind, adulterous and lying twat; Reid - scot, ex-marxist and HO fiascos; Beckett - ugly and...er, really, really ugly) whose characteristics and names are known but they are not of the grade that the public is likely to follow or vote for.

Brown has to be their great white hope for the next election. Trouble is, everyone knows that he is such a backstabbing, vindictive and micromanaging git, if he isn't given power automatically he will hold grudges enough to end the "collaboration" within the Party.

The Collective must be maintained. Mama Borg allows no equals..... :plotting:

edited once for duff fingers

Gordon Brown must not be challenged for the Labour leadership, Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has said.
Mrs Beckett told the BBC it would be better if the chancellor was not distracted by a serious rival.
Wasn't this the way the Communists picked their leaders?

I see she is following the example of the caravan club. Same chairman since 1990, regular 'democratic' elections to confirm his position, but no serious challengers put forward - or none at all.

I don't know in_the_cheapseats my pal, I've always thought she was attractive to look at in a 'Not Nicole Kidman' sort of way. Long aquiline nose and not a bad shape.

It might come as a shock to you, and many of my admirers, but - I would.

OK, I've heard all the:

'You'd sh*g the barber's floor if it had hair on it', and
'You'd b*nk the crack of dawn if it was furry'

jokes.

lsquared said:
I don't know in_the_cheapseats my pal, I've always thought she was attractive to look at in a 'Not Nicole Kidman' sort of way. Long aquiline nose and not a bad shape.

It might come as a shock to you, and many of my admirers but, - I would.
Good God, man! For all our sakes, go see a shrink immediately. Perversions like yours need to be stamped out! :thumleft:

I can see them running an election purely to keep everyone happy and show that the Party is democratic. But I bet they put forward only lightweights to challenge Gordon.

Face it, guys, we are stuck with Gordon until the next General Election!

Litotes

lsquared said:

OK, I've heard all the:

jokes.
Mods,

Surely, this thread must now go into the NAAFI (or worse)! Isquared has quite put me off my lunch!

Litotes

lsquared said:

OK, I've heard all the:

jokes.
From your avatar you appear to be Welsh. That figures. :biggrin:

Labour Leadership?....A contradiction in terms, surely?

lsquared said:

OK, I've heard all the:

jokes.
lsquared, you remind me of myself after a few strong lagers.

:)

PartTimePongo said:

Her comments follow former Home Secretary Charles Clarke's public call to Environment Secretary David Miliband to challenge Mr Brown.

Former minister Michael Meacher and MP John McDonnell have already announced they will stand in any contest.

But none are considered a serious threat to Mr Brown, who is expected to take over as leader from Prime Minister Tony Blair.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6464553.stm

Gordon must have his coronation eh Margaret? There's going to be blood on the dance floor here, I wouldn't have believed Beckett and the leadership , can be so far divorced from their members they think this flagrant affront to leadership procedure will go unchallenged.

Until now.
Beckett is just another Brown toadie, driven more by maintaining her position under a Brown led Government than risking the sack under someone else.

If Brown is allowed to take over unchallenged, then surely there must a General Election and a resolution of "THe Midlothian Question" (Scotish MPs in Westminster & Holyrood).

Litotes said:
I can see them running an election purely to keep everyone happy and show that the Party is democratic. But I bet they put forward only lightweights to challenge Gordon.

Litotes
I agree Litotes - we are stuck with the barsteward because there are no serious contenders - in the whole Liabour Party - they are all now just a bad joke.

I also agree with your second post - I shuddered earlier in the thread when LPT mentioned hitching something up - then I realised he had put in the word caravan. For a minute I though it would be skirt :sweatdrop:

Litotes said:

Litotes
Just as i laid out a few weeks back, when Michael Meacher was rolled out to act as the sacrificial competitor.

The next general election will be 2009. So sadly we will be stuck with Mr Brown until then..its more than likely he will take over Bliar in summer this year...who else is there??

This is sad, as I said on a different thread...God help us with Gordon at number 10...and God help the army. He will be of no benefit to the Armed Forces..that Im sure of.