Because 'Straya mate!

Not sure where I described one as a gecko. Please advise.

I was referring to actual geckoes, skinks and lizards the geniuses in Africa regard as highly venomous. For this reason they'll kill them, despite being shown it's not the case.
I get your point about superstitious natives, but not sure I'd want one of these crawling around on my ceiling!

Why not? Sort out any insects intent on irritating you and they're pretty cool little guys.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I get your point about superstitious natives, but not sure I'd want one of these crawling around on my ceiling!

Weird vid.
Tells about their colours and shapes but says nothing about their sizes.

300g. I'm guessing 8-10 inches. That should sort out a sausage fly.

Saw a little three inch bloke trying to eat a sausage fly twice his size in Moz one night. Bored shitless while a couple of mates played pool so sat there with a few beers for a couple of hours and watched the little bloke work on his dinner.

... nothing about their sizes.
300g. I'm guessing 8-10 inches. That should sort out a sausage fly.
Close, but not quite.

New Caledonian Giant Gecko Size
Rhacodactylus l. leachianus is the larger of the two subspecies, and one of the largest geckos in the world. Adult size ranges from 14 to 17 inches, including the tail, and it can weigh 212 to 279 grams. Hatchlings are about 3 1/2 to 4 inches long, including the tail. Adult R. l. henkeli range from about 9 to 12 inches, including the tail, and they can weigh 115 to 250 grams. Newborn R. l. henkeli are about 3 to 3 1/2 inches long, including the tail.

Saw a little three inch bloke trying to eat a sausage fly twice his size in Moz one night. Bored shitless while a couple of mates played pool so sat there with a few beers for a couple of hours and watched the little bloke work on his dinner.
RAAF speak definition of a 'gecko watcher' (from the halcyon days of RAAF Butterworth) - 'a reserved person; non-participant in Mess or crewroom activities; probable self-abuser.':-D

Like a chimp on speed. Your point?
Well, from your posting form on the site, you didn't strike me as a 'reserved person', but the activity you described was in keeping with the 2nd criteria (at least on that occasion), so I was wondering as to the accuracy of the 3rd criteria, which you've just confirmed.

That would be an air force hangup. The infestation of poovery inherent in the genre makes them a poor benchmark for healthy outdoor pursuits.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm sure you're not reading the posts.
I am. I’m not sure what a dit about Africans eating gekkoes has to do with Australia.
If you say so I'll happily accept you're reading the posts, but you seem not to comprehend their content.

(Reference eating reptiles, that only came into the conversation after the other posts.)

Used to be one living under the Hilton in Loki. We'd nick eggs from the kitchen for him. Very laid back bloke but the idiot locals killed him one day while we were out flying.

They'll also kill any lizard, gecko or chameleon they find, utterly convinced they're deadly venomous. Even showing them that the bite is harmless doesn't help. Usual superstitious fuckwittery then kicks in with 'But it doesn't affect mzungus'.
(My bold/underline.)
Pretty understandable, to which you responded in #1853 with this:
A monitor lizard bite is definitely not harmless. Their normal diet is dead roos; they burrow in through its arrse and eat outwards so their mouth is full of seriously nasty bacteria.
And was answered in #1854:
Yup, but your average skink or gecko can't even penetrate the skin. The bloke in Loki was so laid back you'd sit there with a beer while he wandered around foraging camel spiders a few feet away.
From that you appeared to deduce that Lardy had mistaken a two metre monitor for a geko, I know he can get off his face at times but I've never seen him that far gone.
Not sure I’d describe be a 2m monitor as you’re average gecko.

On a related subject, and genuine interest, how do the monitors breathe when they burrow up the roos' arses to eat them ?

Drove over the Blue Mountains yesterday by the northern road, Bells Line of Road, which runs along a ridge line. The scale of fire damage is apocalyptic. From the climb out of Lithgow all the way to Bilpin, about 60km, it’s burnt out as far as you see both sides of the ridge. Some of the peaks which were covered with 30m eucalypts are now blackened and bare Arrse

Drove over the Blue Mountains yesterday by the northern road, Bells Line of Road, which runs along a ridge line. The scale of fire damage is apocalyptic. From the climb out of Lithgow all the way to Bilpin, about 60km, it’s burnt out as far as you see both sides of the ridge. Some of the peaks which were covered with 30m eucalypts are now blackened and bare Arrse
Not a lot left out there

I've got a motorcycling mate of mine who's been waiting for Putty Road and Bells Line Of Road to reopen properly so he can go for a ride again.

Last edited:
Used to be one living under the Hilton in Loki. We'd nick eggs from the kitchen for him. Very laid back bloke but the idiot locals killed him one day while we were out flying.

They'll also kill any lizard, gecko or chameleon they find, utterly convinced they're deadly venomous. Even showing them that the bite is harmless doesn't help. Usual superstitious fuckwittery then kicks in with 'But it doesn't affect mzungus'.
It the same around these parts with people who see possums as pests and kill them. Possum isn't a pest and their favourite food is ticks, those little crittes will eat around 5000 ticks during the Spring and summer months.

Latest Threads