Because 'Straya mate!

Gallipoli has been made a totemic national symbol, thanks to King George V who presided over the first Anzac Day march in London yet, in terms of numbers, more AIF soldiers were killed in action in 24hrs at Fromelles than in the whole of the Dardanelles Campaign.
Speaking of Fromelles, ever heard of Arthur Wesley Wheen? Wheen was an Australian who gave the English language the phrase, "All Quiet On the Western Front," when, being a skilled linguist and translator, he translated Erich Maria Remarque's famous novel. Its title in German is, "Im Westen nicht Neues," something like, "No news from the West," a bit dull, as Wheen saw.

Wheen served at Fromelles in July 1916 as a signaller. He earned the Military Medal there for repairing telephone lines and maintaining comms under artillery fire, and received two Bars to the Medal at Beaulencourt 1917 and at Villers-Bretonneux 1918 which makes him one of only 15 Australians who have been awarded the decoration three times.

He was commissioned as a Lieutenant in August 1918 and after having been wounded a second time (he'd been first wounded in 1917) he was returned to Australia and discharged in 1919. Like many men who have seen something of war, he hated it with a passion and would not speak of it, rarely if ever, using the post-nominal MM to which he was entitled. He became the Librarian at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a post he held from 1945 until his retirement in 1962.

Last edited:
D-8 to Tullmarine. The weather's been gopping in Vic, but refuse to pack a coat.. Pre Christmas in Bendigo... Then Williamstown and New Year in Philip Island.. 'Straya!!
Shit are you my wife?
Xmas in Bendigo, few days in Phillip Island, then across to Torquey and make way back up to NSW - thats our plan.

Reading the last few posts about defying deadly temperatures, crocs, snakes etc makes me realise why I live in the safety of New South Wales.

It’s not like there’s deadly spiders in the garden or that the cat killed a brown snake a few months ago.

Plus those ******* drop bears. There’s one build a nest on the block next to mine.

That Oh fuck moment when the garage door goes up and there's are 3 metre brown snake happily slithering about in the garage.

Quickly followed by the Oh fuck moment after you've driven into the garage to run it over, reversed and see no snake in garage.

fuck fuck where is it - tail seen slithering away in bushes at front of house.

That Oh **** moment when the garage door goes up and there's are 3 metre brown snake happily slithering about in the garage.

Quickly followed by the Oh **** moment after you've driven into the garage to run it over, reversed and see no snake in garage.

**** **** where is it - tail seen slithering away in bushes at front of house.
I flipping hate snakes. Don't know why. Happily don't mind/ tolerate some other but I hate them things. Not as much as I used to when I was a kid but still...

Class bogan, or bogan class? Good skills for hanging onto his beer though!

'A Victorian dad, decked out in his trusty thongs, footy shorts and a singlet was caught on camera yesterday clutching his beer and trying to save his dogs from a giant kangaroo.'

Aussie bloke saves beer despite kangaroo kick
Meanwhile, back in mother land, people save beer while fleeing from terrorist attacks..

Always brings a tear to my eye...

The hot Adelaide winds from the North are laden with red dust, which just heat everything up and spread dust everywhere. I've seen 48 degree days with winds like the UK used to get which would have given you windchill well into negative figures. My car often exceeds 70 degrees inside in the summer (the little lcd thermometer goes completely black) and mates in the UK get upset when they complain about 27/28 degrees and I point out we get nights that are hotter than that.

An aussie mate was up towards Alice a couple of years ago and stopped for the night in Coober Pedy. He had a petrol 4 wheel drive and went to fill up before he moved on, only to be told it was too hot to pump as the last few days heat had taken the fuel almost to flash point. He was stuck there three days before the temperature dropped.
I was working for Simon Nat Carriers in the early Nintys, we took the film set for Vin Diesels 'Pitch Black. When we got to Coober Pedy, it was that hot that night all six drivers had to sleep in our hammocks under the trailers. We couldn't unload the trucks next day, still to hot the film crew refused to leave their hotel, poor dears.

Well just got my pay and leave loading has gone in an $1760 for the overtime I will miss while on leave.

Except I work in an office with flexitime and very rarely is overtime a thing.

Bit mad but who am I to complain.

Well just got my pay and leave loading has gone in an $1760 for the overtime I will miss while on leave.

I think complaining once on this forum in one post is enough mate.

No, I'd never heard of it either.

'According to a new study, the Dracula ant, Mystrium camillae, can snap its mandibles at speeds of up to 90 metres per second (over 200 mph), making it the fastest animal movement on record. The ants can be found in Australia, tropical Africa and South-East Asia and “use the explosive motion to attack, stun and kill prey, which is then fed to their larvae”, says The Guardian. Scientists were able to understand the exact speed of the snapping motion only with the advent of high-speed video technology over the past 10 years.'

Scientists discover the Dracula ant is the world's fastest mover

Spent some time crewing VMR (Volunteer Marine Rescue) boats on Bribie Island just north of Brisbane in the 90's, occasionally a mexican (tourist from south of the border) would ask before going for a dip if there were any crocs in the area, we'd reply in the negative then wait till they'd wandered off almost out of hearing range and add "feckin sharks got em all".

Used to live on beautiful red beach Bribie Island, sadly it is over built now , a bit like phuket with dolphins, great for a weeks holiday but hell to live,lots of bullsharks in the canals and pumice stone passage

Used to live on beautiful red beach Bribie Island, sadly it is over built now , a bit like phuket with dolphins, great for a weeks holiday but hell to live,lots of bullsharks in the canals and pumice stone passage
The place went downhill once they opened a Maccas, Grog's too expensive as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The Book Club 0
2/51 Fill Your Boots 8
redshift The NAAFI Bar 13