Because 'Straya mate!

Labour got the penalty rates thing wrong that’s for sure. Why have an independent Fair Work Commission to set rates and then have politicians over rule it.

IMHO many people who are paid penalty rates saw through the Labour policy because they have actually earned more since rates were lowered. Loads of businesses simply didn’t open on Sundays and holidays because the penalty rates were unaffordable. The many in the hospitality industry that this affected we’re losing a days work plus tips as a result. Triple time rates don’t work if they end up delivering no time!
That would be the independent FWC set up by the Labor government under Gillard.

That would be the independent FWC set up by the Labor government under Gillard.
No, it was Rudd in 2009. Although the Industrial Relations Commission set industry awards and penalty rates long before Fair Work was set up. Rudd really tinkered with Howard’s WorkChoices legislation and gave it a new name.

Fact remains penalty rates cost jobs and pay because small business avoid them. There was a classic case a couple of years ago where three cruise ships were in Sydney over Easter and lots of cafes and restaurants stayed closed because the would pay the then triple time rates.

No, it was Rudd in 2009. Although the Industrial Relations Commission set industry awards and penalty rates long before Fair Work was set up. Rudd really tinkered with Howard’s WorkChoices legislation and gave it a new name.

Fact remains penalty rates cost jobs and pay because small business avoid them. There was a classic case a couple of years ago where three cruise ships were in Sydney over Easter and lots of cafes and restaurants stayed closed because the would pay the then triple time rates.

Penalty rates what a load of bollocks ,here in australia anyway!!I was paying language guides 35 $australian an hour normal rate, had no problems with penaltyrates, could never get my staff to work saturdays ,sundays or public holidays,what type of work ethic is that for a zoo or a wildlife sanctuary, fxxx the animals the bronco,s are playing at home or we are going fishing, australianworkers are lazy,unreliable start late leave early,from bad management to hard drug abuse,employers have a very difficult time here in the sunshine state where the unions rule

Penalty rates what a load of bollocks ,here in australia anyway!!I was paying language guides 35 $australian an hour normal rate, had no problems with penaltyrates, could never get my staff to work saturdays ,sundays or public holidays,what type of work ethic is that for a zoo or a wildlife sanctuary, fxxx the animals the bronco,s are playing at home or we are going fishing, australianworkers are lazy,unreliable start late leave early,from bad management to hard drug abuse,employers have a very difficult time here in the sunshine state where the unions rule
My daughter worked during her university years. She always volunteered for weekends/public holidays as that way she could work fewer days for the same money.

Oh dear, how unfortunate! MHPP.

'None of the four police officers involved in the shooting death of an armed man at Sydney's busiest train station had a Taser at the time, an inquest has been told. Danukul "Dan" Mokmool, 30, was shot in the head and died after he held up a florist with a broken bottle and then ran at police on the Eddy Avenue concourse at Central station on July 26, 2017.'

'No Taser' at fatal Sydney police shooting

My daughter worked during her university years. She always volunteered for weekends/public holidays as that way she could work fewer days for the same money.
Another down side of penalty rates; they create a group of workers who only work weekends whilst those who can’t work weekends for family reasons etc earn half as much for the same work.

Another stupid example; my OH used to run a chain of vet practices. Holidays, the vet nurses on a state award earned more than the vets who weren’t. So she negotiated statutory cover with the local emergency vet hospitals and closed her practices on Sundays and holidays. Losers all round; less hours for staff, less service for customers and less care for animals.

Union leaders no doubt happy though.

In the 90s, I worked for Simon National Carriers. I don't know if the ol' man is still alive, but one weekend he held a drivers meeting up at the head office in Toowoomba.
Essentially the company was at the time Union free, he called the meeting to state that the Transport union had been sniffing around trying to force their way in.
He made it quite clear, if the drivers decided to all join the Union and started taking Union action, he'd shut the company down and sell everything off, no ifs or buts, just close the company.
He'd seen how the Unions run the docks and wouldn't have nothing to do with them.

but when a japanese speaking guide needs to be replaced, a hard up student with a smattering of french just does not hack it!!

I'm sure you've all seen this:

I actually haven't seen this - is funny.

Having been around Antipodeans for a good while now, a lot of the stuff (more than not mentioned in the video) - both Kiwi and Aussie has slowly crept into my own lingo! Scary! I now everything from Jandals to Bogans. And I know Thongs don't mean the same in the two countries across the Ditch either!

Never a real fan of CUB's products (apart from Carlton Cold when it first appeared), but...

'Thirsty punters across the country are being treated to an afternoon session at their local pub this weekend, courtesy of Victoria Bitter. In a post on the VB website, the beer company announced it would be supplying free beer to 200 pubs across Australia for customers (over 18 of course) for two hours on Sunday.'

FREE BEER! VB is shouting punters free beer this Sunday

Last edited:
Never a real fan of CUB's products (apart from Carlton Cold when it first appeared), but...

'Thirsty punters across the country are being treated to an afternoon session at their local pub this weekend, courtesy of Victoria Bitter. In a post on the VB website, the beer company announced it would be supplying free beer to 200 pubs across Australia for customers (over 18 of course) for two hours on Sunday.'

FREE BEER! VB is shouting punters free beer this Sunday

Probably because no one drinks it anymore.

BTW my local back home has offered free beer every day for as long as I can remember. There’s a sign behind the bar that says “Free beer tomorrow”.