Because 'Straya mate!

Well, if it's so terrible a burden to bear, stop being a stereotypical whingeing Pom like the late Bushmills and head back to the sun uplands of Blighty. Why did you ever bother leaving 'Jerusalem' in the first place?
I was Headhunted by A large brisbane conglomerate,to try and rescue one of their subsidiaries , which was in the hands of the recievers to the tune of eleven and a half million$ australian,,a union dominated company,nearly 50% of staff on sickies at any giventime, exorbitent management salaries and expenses,staff arriving late had to stand aside so as not to get in the way of staff leaving early,if the bronco,s or lions playing at home,we had to be thankful if anybody turned up, 5 years later it closed anyway,I must have been doing something right,Qld parks and wildlife asked me to train some of their wildlife rangers,1998 I was proud to accept australian citizenship,we love it here, england is for wedding and funerals we cant stand the whinging either, I just find it hard to understand ,the attitude of some australiann any foreign sports men caught cheating are hounded to the point of suicide, australian cricketers caught out at cheating time and time again and the authorities put them on community services, what about andrew johns and alfie lange

I had a neighbour once who used to say one good thing about living out here was you wouldn't have to worry about dying and going to Hell. You'd be used to it.

I was Headhunted by A large brisbane conglomerate,to try and rescue one of their subsidiaries , which was in the hands of the recievers to the tune of eleven and a half million$ australian,,a union dominated company,nearly 50% of staff on sickies at any giventime, exorbitent management salaries and expenses,staff arriving late had to stand aside so as not to get in the way of staff leaving early,if the bronco,s or lions playing at home,we had to be thankful if anybody turned up, 5 years later it closed anyway,I must have been doing something right,Qld parks and wildlife asked me to train some of their wildlife rangers,1998 I was proud to accept australian citizenship,we love it here, england is for wedding and funerals we cant stand the whinging either, I just find it hard to understand ,the attitude of some australiann any foreign sports men caught cheating are hounded to the point of suicide, australian cricketers caught out at cheating time and time again and the authorities put them on community services, what about andrew johns and alfie lange
Yep, those Aussie cheats.. Larakins mate. It was the likes of Alfie Langer and few others who played for the Broncos the Rabbitos and the likes, who when they were in the National league side or playing in the State of Origin series, they were payed stupid money. The caused such a financial problem, a number of sides ie South Qld Crushers went tits up.

Yep, those Aussie cheats.. Larakins mate. It was the likes of Alfie Langer and few others who played for the Broncos the Rabbitos and the likes, who when they were in the National league side or playing in the State of Origin series, they were payed stupid money. The caused such a financial problem, a number of sides ie South Qld Crushers went tits up.
alfie langer was paid millions to go and play for Warrington,4months into his contract he got a career ending injury,he returned to Brisbane a week later he played for QLD in state of origin

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
alfie langer was paid millions to go and play for Warrington,4months into his contract he got a career ending injury,he returned to Brisbane a week later he played for QLD in state of origin
Was he insured or did the cheating cunt find kismet ?

I was Headhunted by A large brisbane conglomerate,
So you went of your own free will because the conditions (salary, lifestyle) were better than Blighty.

5 years later it closed anyway,I must have been doing something right,Qld parks and wildlife asked me to train some of their wildlife rangers,1998 I was proud to accept australian citizenship
So you were so enamoured with the conditions you'd experienced in the shithole that you'd come to, you decided to stay because there was nothing better on offer back at home.

england is for wedding and funerals we cant stand the whinging either,
Pot, kettle...

I just find it hard to understand ,the attitude of some australiann any foreign sports men caught cheating are hounded to the point of suicide, australian cricketers caught out at cheating time and time again
I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but this sounds like a huge generalisation or exaggeration (or both).

what about andrew johns and alfie lange
Meh, Rugby League - not a proper game.

You've talked on more than one thread about the deplorable attitude of some bogans to your attempt to do justice to Remembrance Day - I agree with you, but their attitude is no worse than what occurs back in the Sceptred Isles where war memorial plaques and railings are stolen for their scrap metal value and people have been arrested (on multiple occasions) for pissing on them.

As to the national attitude and cultural memory of Gallipoli, you've answered your own question - yes the UK lost 5 times the number of dead, but the population was 10 times larger than Australia's, so it could be argued (lies, damn lies and statistics) that the Australian casualty rate was double that of the UK. It was also Australia's first war, as the Boer War was fought (until Federation) by state contingents, and the overall casualties were statistically negligible.

Gallipoli has been made a totemic national symbol, thanks to King George V who presided over the first Anzac Day march in London in 1916 yet, in terms of numbers, more AIF soldiers were killed in action in 24hrs at Fromelles than in the whole of the Dardanelles Campaign. Gallipoli captures the imagination though, much as the Somme does in the UK.

Ed: sp

Last edited:
The longest I've experienced very high dry heat was when I was doing an internship with General Motors in the U.S. I was shipped off to their test track/ hot weather testing center near Mesa, Arizona for a couple of months. One of my tasks was to leave the car out in the sun all day, let it bake with windows and every thing sealed up, then at peak heat (~4/5pm) in peak summer, jump in, turn on the HVAC (AC) at full blast and see how long it takes to cool down to set temperatures.

Usually youngins like myself got to do the honors. You literally were losing body fluids like crazy...took a couple of bottles of super cold water with you while doing it. Good old days...now things have moved on, they automate most of the tests, but something still have to be done manually like the wear and tear of materials, dash board temps etc.
My longest experience of pure heat was 2006 in Alice Springs; we had over 3 weeks of 40+ C to set a new record for the place. Thankfully there was not a lot of flying to be done because in an unpressurised aircraft, even at 10,000' the turbulence is a real bitch. I recall coming back to Alice Springs on a QANTAS flight; the turbulence started at about 21,000'. Even Boeing send new aircraft to Alice Springs to test the aircraft air conditioners to see how they cope.

My longest experience of pure heat was 2006 in Alice Springs; we had over 3 weeks of 40+ C to set a new record for the place. Thankfully there was not a lot of flying to be done because in an unpressurised aircraft, even at 10,000' the turbulence is a real bitch. I recall coming back to Alice Springs on a QANTAS flight; the turbulence started at about 21,000'. Even Boeing send new aircraft to Alice Springs to test the aircraft air conditioners to see how they cope.
I spent a lot of my time working in the tropics and the middle east which can be hot but the worst heat that I encountered was at Alice Springs.
I was trooping to Singapore in a C130 and we landed in Alice Springs at 0600. When the ramp went down and the doors opened it was like stepping in front of a blast furnace.
We were bussed into town for breakfast while the aircraft was fuelled up and left for Singapore at 0800.
It was not the hottest temp that I was ever in over the years, but certainly the most brutal.
ETA
I was also in Adelaide on a course in Jan/Feb time and they get strong Northerly winds during that period, the winds blow across central Aus and across the deserts north of Adelaide and they are as hot as hell, but not as dry as Alice heat.

Last edited:
I was also in Adelaide on a course in Jan/Feb time and they get strong Northerly winds during that period, the winds blow across central Aus and across the deserts north of Adelaide and they are as hot as hell, but not as dry as Alice heat.
The hot Adelaide winds from the North are laden with red dust, which just heat everything up and spread dust everywhere. I've seen 48 degree days with winds like the UK used to get which would have given you windchill well into negative figures. My car often exceeds 70 degrees inside in the summer (the little lcd thermometer goes completely black) and mates in the UK get upset when they complain about 27/28 degrees and I point out we get nights that are hotter than that.

An aussie mate was up towards Alice a couple of years ago and stopped for the night in Coober Pedy. He had a petrol 4 wheel drive and went to fill up before he moved on, only to be told it was too hot to pump as the last few days heat had taken the fuel almost to flash point. He was stuck there three days before the temperature dropped.

Reading the last few posts about defying deadly temperatures, crocs, snakes etc makes me realise why I live in the safety of New South Wales.

It’s not like there’s deadly spiders in the garden or that the cat killed a brown snake a few months ago.

Plus those fucking drop bears. There’s one build a nest on the block next to mine.

Reading the last few posts about defying deadly temperatures, crocs, snakes etc makes me realise why I live in the safety of New South Wales.

It’s not like there’s deadly spiders in the garden or that the cat killed a brown snake a few months ago.

Plus those ******* drop bears. There’s one build a nest on the block next to mine.
Can't abide cats myself.

I'm in NSW too. We have a python living under the house, seems nice enough, keeps the rodents down and the mother in law at a very safe distance. I don't get why people are scared of them.

We had some drop bears a while back but the French backpackers we hired to mind some steering wheels over harvest ate them.

Gallipoli captures the imagination though, much as the Somme does in the UK.
No mate, Gallipoli has a legend all of its own in Australia. It's like a national delusion, but other than distorting history, it's harmless.

Australia's fixation with the Gallipoli myth is closer to England's view of King Arthur or Boudicia than it is to the Somme.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The Book Club 0
2/51 Fill Your Boots 8
redshift The NAAFI Bar 13